1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ant Attack!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by freemaniam, Oct 7, 2008.

1. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Have you ever found your electronic devices being "invaded" by ants before? How do you get rid of them from those devices?

I recently found my computer notebook, calculator, PMP (Portable Media Player) were all became the sweat homes of my new neighborhood. I have tried a couple ways I found from Yahoo trying to get rid of the ants in my home but I am yet to see the results.

I am now somewhat annoyed since I have just bought a new Sony notebook and while typing this post, I just saw an ant quickly ran into the touch pad! That means the "safe zone" I set up wasn't working at all!

I have called Pest Control yesterday hopefully they help.

Do you have any effective ways to prevent ants from getting into the electronic devices?

2. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

We were getting ants in our kitchen, and I really didn't want to spray since we have cats. Tried bait traps, home remedies, etc...nothing worked. I finally broke down and sprayed the 30 ft long trail they were using to get into the kitchen, and then sprayed the bejesus out of the spot they were using to get into the house. Haven't seen one since...

3. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

^I am crazy enough now to think of trying to smoke those bastards out of my notebook, do you think it's a good idea?

The most horrible scene I encountered a couple weeks ago was when I tried to open a DVD case for some vintage video to kill time, I found A LOT of scared ants running all into all directions and a good amount of eggs laying in the DVD case!

4. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

You might want to read this article

link

5. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

^ thanks for the link.

The ants in my place are a bit smaller in size and they don't bite human being too. They will be attracted by any sort of electronic appliances, like I boiled a kettle of water this morning, when I came back home in the afternoon, I can notice half a dozen of these bastards crawing on the plastic kettle and another dozen of half-dead ants swimming in the warm water in that kettle.

One "funny" thing is when they were drowned in the water, they would "hug" each other and often formed an obvious ant-ball, strange.

6. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

well now the ants just have proof of WMDs in your house and will do a full scale invasion to topple your regime and to take over your glorious home...

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You first need to identify what type of ants they are before you start taking peoples advise. After that, do the research or contact a pest control company.

8. droxford

droxford Member

I have a better, perfect solution that will only cost you a couple of bucks. I've done it myself several times to get rid of ants in my house and it works every time. Will post more in about an hour or two.

9. no_answer

no_answer Member

Yeah. We had a similar ant problem. We bought some raid that's specifically for ants and sprayed where we saw them (the whole trail). Then we sprayed some terminix outside of our house and bought these little raid white things that you put in the places they hang out inside your house. We ended up spraying around our house like 3 times and then they stopped coming.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Buy a bottle of permethrin and mix up a batch of spray and go to work.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Fire is pretty effective.

12. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Did you ever see the commercial (maybe it was just in Austin) that demonstrated ants balling up like that so they could survive for an extended time in water? It creeps me out.

13. droxford

droxford Member

We had tiny little sugar ants in our house many years ago. Got rid of 'em.

Shortly after Ike, we had larger, fire ants. Got rid of 'em.

Here's what ya do....

Go to Leows (Home Depot doesn't carry this stuff) and get a small bottle of Terro liquid ant bait. Follow the directions, which tell you to put a few drops on a chunk of thin cardboard, and place the cardboard in their path (or wherever the ants frequent). Once they find it, they will surround it, drinking it up. Leave them alone. Because eventually, they take it to their queen and they all die. It'll take a bout 3 or 4 days.

It has worked perfectly for me every time, it's low cost, and doesn't take a lot of work.

14. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Unless my memory is terrible, freemanian lives in HK, so I don't think going to Leows is a good idea. Are the ants disturbing people in other flats as well? or just yours?

15. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I had ants in my car last week. Craploads of them. I don't even have food in my car. I don't even eat in there. They were everywhere. I found what side they were coming in from and I hit them with a little Raid, and that took care of it.

16. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Now this really creeps me out. So I am dealing with some creature smarter than I thought it would be?

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Something like this...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYYrKI_IpC4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYYrKI_IpC4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

18. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the suggestions. Brantonli24 is correct that I actually live in HK. Branton, I moved to Sai Kung half a year ago and we are the only occupant of the floor. I still can't find the source of those ants but I guess it might due to the plant we bought from B&Q when we moved in.

Droxford, thanks for the tips. I tried 2 types of ant bait. The 2nd one seems to be working as I could not find any ant around those spots where I placed those baits. Point is I am hesitated to put one at where I keep my electronic gadgets. I don't want any of my gadgets becomes the graveyard with hundreds of ant corpses. So my wife and I keep searching for as many "colonies" they conquered as we could right now.

I took apart the calculator and "kettle base" last evening. I found no ant inside the calculator but lots of crumbs. Looks like they have turned my calculator into their granary. Inside the "kettle base", there another nation of ants and I sprayed them to hell.

19. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

That's pretty much what I saw inside the DVD case, the only difference is they are much smaller and ran over my hands.

20. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I've also used Terro Ant Killer with great success. Now they come in self-contained boxes where you cut off one end, and the ants walk up the ramp to eat the poisoned food. It's worked great for me at a couple of apartments/homes.