1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Suns swap that's SUPPOSED (effects the Rockets) to be official later today...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NYKRule, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

crash, in my ability to be somewhat objective about teams other than the Rockets (win now damnit!), I believe it is not about 'now' for the Suns. I believe that it's about a) excitement and b) gm gradualism.

As far as the Rockets go, let's get Webber b/c I don't have the slightest ****ing concern as to what the chemistry/age issues could possibly be four years from now. I want to see a winning team now. [​IMG]

------------------
    calling powdered toast man

girl you looks good won't you mock that draft up?!

2. hitman21

hitman21 Member

Googs must be pissed. Marbury and Googs hate each other. What is Phoenix trying to do anyway? They were better off before all these trades went down. Oh well, we got Griffin.

------------------
    the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Where was Houston during these negotiations. Phoenix better have wanted Cliffy out of the West, because otherwise I don't see why the Rockets didn't jump all over him. He can play all three frontcourt positions. Seriously, he logged some significant minutes at center for Phoenix during some stretches.

With the realization by most teams that it doesn't matter WHO you put up against Shaq, teams are trying to put talented, long players who are maybe better suited as PFs at the center slot. We should have gobbled up Cliffy to play some center for us. He would fit Rudy T's system perfectly. He's an EXCELLENT defender and he can shoot from outside. With what they got for him, it's apparent that Phoenix was just trying to move a salary to open up cap room for next year. Offering Walt Williams would have made PERFECT sense for both teams.

I guess in the Rocket front office's euphoria from the draft, they may have let a good available player slip away.

------------------

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All those guys mentioned as free agents are RESTRICTED free agents. Carter and Pierce are no brainers to be maxed out, and will be off the market. Probably the same with Jamison.

Personally, I think this deal was made to clear some breathing room money wise (Colangelo has lost a lot of money lately), and also to bring a trade exception, to make Marbury for Kidd easier to deal with.

------------------
    "I think alot of people find Cato's game to be very offensive." -aelliott, comparing the offensive skills of Kelvin Cato and Michael Olowokandi

5. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

To say Marbury has had chemistry problems everywhere he has been is unfair. He was fine in his one year of college and he was perfect in Minnesotta. The reason the trade occured was that he wanted to play closer to home. Since the trade he has come out both privately and publicly and stated what a big mistake it was and has appologized. The kid is for real. He might not be as good a point as Stockton or Kidd, but his offensive abilities make him much better than Kidd.

------------------
    "We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

6. ScreamingRocketJet

Googs...who is crap anyway...left the T-Wolves to avoid Marbury...he slammed him BIG TIME in interviews after he left...

Somehow, Phoenix must be offloading him...

I don't know how...he has a massive contract and an even worse health record...

Maybe straight up for Larry Johnson [​IMG]

------------------

7. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

RocketJet-I'm all for that. lol

------------------

8. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Maybe Detroit will trade Cliff later to the Rockets for a Shandon or KT and a pick for Cliff?

Who knows?

It looks like players have really become liquid commodities, anyone can be had for the right price.

With some of the these deals going down right now, there has to more involved in these trades, we are just going to have to wait and see if these teams are really screwing themselves.

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

[This message has been edited by carlit0 (edited June 29, 2001).]

9. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I didn't know Dream had AOL. [​IMG]

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

The only PF in the NBA who is a worse rebounder than MoTay is Cliff. Cliff scores and thats about it. He is not that good of a player.

John Wallace, while not the scorer, is way better rebounder than Cliff will ever be. With the edition of Marbury, the Suns will not miss a beat scoring wise. The Suns have only gotten stronger.

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

11. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

John Wallace has a career rebounding average of 3.1 a game.

I think this move has more to do with public relations, cap space, and age. Cliff is 35 years old.

------------------
    The Smurfs were Communists

12. BobFinn*

How much playing time has John Wallace gotten?

------------------

13. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

You overestimate the Suns. When have they ever had a consistent plan? That team has been a revolving door ever since they dumped Barkely. They have no plan for the future - What they have is a chicken-with-its-head-cut-off mentality. The scitter hither and fro from trade to trade but with no clear team philosophy.

First the Marbury deal : Stupid for both teams. Kidd cannot score on his own, but who will he pass to in New Jersey? Which member of the Broken Leg Brigade will be at the end of his passes? There is a reason that Marbury had to score 24pts per game, because no one on that team is a consistent threat Kidd will suffer in Jersey.

But Marbury will suffer equally in Phoenix. Marbury is a scoring point, one who thrives in a system where he can create for himself, but in Phoenix, that team is at its best in transition and when Kidd is penetrating and dishing to open jumshooters. Marbury will not run the fast break with 1/10th the effectiveness of Kidd, and how well will the Suns offense function with a point who looks to create for himself, and not for others.

Then the Suns went and traded their best scorer for two bench scrubs from a bad Eastern Conference team.

On second thought, the Suns do have a plan.

First, remove the gun from your holster.

Second, point the gun at your foot.

Third, fire.

------------------
    "So, is there still a big rivalry between North Carolina and Duke?" Craig Sager - Proving the only thing bright about him is his shirt.

14. Puedlfor

Maybe there's a reason for his lack of playing time. . .

BTW, in Wallace's best year, he played 28.8 minutes per game. He scored 14pts per game and averaged 4.5 rebounds. I never thought of Wallace as a rebounder, I always thought of him as a pure scorer.

Perhaps you think of Ben Wallace.

------------------
    "So, is there still a big rivalry between North Carolina and Duke?" Craig Sager - Proving the only thing bright about him is his shirt.

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited June 29, 2001).]

15. BobFinn*

Depth? He played behind Larry Johnson in NY and Ben Wallace in Detroit.

------------------

16. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Wallace couldn't get time competing against the likes of scoreless Corliss and Michael Curry.

Granted he only played 40 games this year, but he's never been much of a player, which is why he's with his 4th team in 6 years, and hasn't seen significant minutes since his 2nd season with Toronto.

I always thought Wallace was a small forward? I don't think they traded for him to replace Robinson, but more to add depth at small forward.

------------------
    The Smurfs were Communists

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited June 29, 2001).]

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

John Wallace can score - but he hasn't really been given an opportunity to log significant minutes because he is just SUCH a liability on the defensive end.

Interesting to see whether the suns are going to play him or whether they're playing for Free Agency in 2002! (seems more likely!)

------------------

18. Puedlfor

Wallace is a SF, he was competing against Corliss Williamson for playing time. I would not say Detroit was an overly deep team.

------------------

19. BobFinn*

Could the Suns be targeting Vince Carter?

------------------

20. Puedlfor

Why would Carter leave Toronto for Phoenix?

------------------