1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Police Brutality Story Developing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by larsv8, Mar 1, 2015.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I answered the question put forward by another poster.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Amazing logic! If the cops kick my ass when I am being obedient, perhaps I should resist and grab for their guns! Win Win for all!

3. Buck Turgidson

What could possibly go wrong?

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think logic plays into it that much. But if cops beat you when you're obedient, then that doesn't produce a lot of incentive to be obedient. If that's what someone is thinking, then they lose no matter what happens.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not getting shot is a pretty good incentive for most.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Because the people who are complaining about the guy who recorded the video have an agenda. They talk about him to get the attention off of 6 cops not being able to detain a homeless guy. I even see fools trying to make the language out to be worst than someone getting murdered.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The homeless guy who stole the baton didn't get the crap beaten out of him.

Sometimes it does take several policemen to detain a person without beating him up. That usually happens when the person freaks out like on drugs or some panic induced anxiety.

Overall, the video doesn't explain the events leading up to the incident and my subscription to Skid Row Times expired, so I don't really know how ****ed up the situation is around there between the homeless and the cops. I'm guessing it's pretty oppressive for various reasons and most where people just don't care.

The fact that society has given up open means for treating and housing the mentally ill leaves the police as society's first line of contact between them. I'm not saying this to absolve blame if there is any, but abusive police is not the root cause here.

There's a pretty good documentary about Skid Row where one could possibly find on youtube...

#67 Invisible Fan, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Michael Richards was a well known comedian which is why his words were particularly shocking. Do you know this guy who shot the video anymore than what you've seen in the video?

Talk about judging a book by it's cover.

Let me ask you this since you brought up Michael Richards. Do you think that those comments would mean his life isn't worth much like you're saying of the person who shot the video?

#68 rocketsjudoka, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the problem is that while it isn't a good idea to resist arrest there have been several cases of police harming people even when they comply, such as the case in NC where a highway patrol shot a man as he was getting his license and registration. Further there have also been situations where suspects have not been compliant yet not represented a serious threat but have also been harmed, such as the elderly man in Texas recently.

I fully agree that people should be compliant with LE but at the same time the principle of To Protect and Serve also means that LE have a duty also to show restraint and control on their part. I think there are far too many cases of LEO over reacting .

For this specific case I think there needs to be much more information. Someone trying to disarm an officer is clearly an imminent threat so if that is the case then deadly force is justified. Why it got to that point isn't clear at all and would need to know more.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The problem is compliant or non compliant
    those bearing the brunt of police brutality have similar qualities/commonalities

Rocket River

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, those bearing the brunt of "police brutality" are generally those stupid enough to fight with them because they don't want to go to jail for breaking the law.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

That sir is BS there have been many that have not committed a crime that have been beaten or falsely accused of doing wrong by police.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You're correct about the recent high profile cases. Eric Garner, Mike Brown, and this homeless dude all resisted the police.

Don't resist the police, people. Don't be stupid.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Notice that I wasn't talking about "all" cases, just the vast majority of them. You can always find exceptions. Either way, I can't have sympathy for someone stupid enough to fight with cops. It's worthy of a Darwin award every single time.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

He was convicted of a violent armed bank robbery.

"He was found to have $33,500 on him, according to prosecutors.

During his initial interviews with investigators, Robinet said he robbed the bank to cover the cost of acting classes at the Beverly Hills Playhouse, authorities said."

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The article jumps around with the dates, but I think that money describes his prior conviction.

The current incident doesn't tie him with the robbery that alerted the officers to skid row.

Reaching for an officer's gun is bayud business...

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I just thought his bogus story was noteworthy

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If only theses racist cops would have body cameras, we could stop police brutality.

but.. but.. they had no reason to shoot him.

Ahh what the hell. I think I will post a grainy phone camera of the incident and call it police brutality anyways.

Good job larvs!

1 person likes this.