1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Fran Classic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SmeggySmeg, Nov 28, 2001.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Blinebury has once again delivered another absolute belter!!!

(my fav lines in bold)

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1148639

Sans Stevie, wonder how bad it will get?
    By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

Welcome to the Moochie Norris Show.

Here is Moochie taking a flying leap into a pile of bodies on the left side of the lane, trying to make contact, begging to draw a foul.

Here is Moochie on the dribble, hammering the ball into the floor like a carpenter being paid by the nail.

Here is Moochie going behind his back or between his legs, doing everything but jumping off Turbo's trampoline and getting in the bump-and-jiggle line with the Power Dancers.

Get used to it.

For the next four to six weeks, as Steve Francis makes his only appearances in the midcourt tunnel while waiting for the plantar fascia in his left foot to mend, the Rockets are Moochie's team.

And Oscar Torres' team. And Tierre Brown's team.

Rockets Lite. Less filling and, well, less filling.

Put Cuttino Mobley over there on the sidelines with a pair of bad ankles, and what happens is what you expect to happen. Kings 89-84.

Not that Kenny Thomas and his tag-along wannabes didn't have their moments Tuesday night, even taking a one-point lead in the fourth quarter when Moochie hit a runner with just under nine minutes to play.

Which might have gotten the crowd onto its feet, if there had been a crowd. Or if the intimate gathering hadn't been too busy playing children's games during timeouts as part of an overall game presentation that is lamer than a three-legged dog race.

Francis to fight impatience
    The Rockets missed shots. The Kings took advantage of their chances, which is what the good teams do. Even the good teams that are playing the latter half of a back-to-back and just blew one the previous night to lowly Memphis. The Rockets, quite obviously, are not a good team now. Not when their two best players are not in uniform, though Mobley is expected to return by the weekend.

The outlook on Francis is less definite. He says he'll be back up and flying through the lower levels of the stratosphere as soon as his mandatory five games on the injured list are complete and he's had enough champing at the bit. This will be the longest stretch of basketball Francis has missed in his career -- college or pro -- and it's going to be very difficult for the bundle of energy to endure.

The medical staff would prefer that Francis play it more conservative and stay down until the connective tissue in the arch of his left foot heals completely. There is said to be no fear that the injury is chronic. In fact, it is believed the scar tissue that forms in the healing process actually makes the foot stronger and the problem less likely to recur.

In the meantime, what the Rockets will have is plenty of time to practice bailing water.

"I see this as an opportunity," said coach Rudy Tomjanovich. "You can always turn an adversity into some kind of a positive. Guys can step up and carry the load. We'll get Tierre into the rotation. It's a chance for Oscar, for Moochie, for all of them."

Thomas goes it alone
    What it could be is the stretch when the hustling, battling, relentless Thomas simply wears himself out by trying to be everything for the Rockets at both ends of the floor. There were times in the first half against the Kings when if it weren't for Thomas, you'd have needed a stethoscope to detect a pulse in the Rockets.

What it will certainly be is a critical stretch when the Rockets could fall completely from playoff contention, even in the fantasy world they normally inhabit.

Before anyone gets carried away with the notion that Francis' injury is one of those cruel twists of fate that is derailing an up-and-coming contender, consider that the Kings -- a real playoff team -- have been playing all season without their best player, Chris Webber, and are still 11-4.

Consider, too, that the Rockets were only 7-7 -- a perfectly fitting, thoroughly mediocre .500 -- before Francis and Mobley took their seats Tuesday night.

What they have shown is the same penchant for the flamboyant from the previous two seasons and the same nagging tendency to ignore the basics of the game. As in failing to show up on defense, making bad decisions and not hitting wide-open shots. Falling behind 21 to the Clippers. Relying on Kelvin Cato.

The Rockets like to talk about their energy. But unless there is a mental effort to match, you might as well be running on a treadmill and getting nowhere.

Which is where they are for the next four to six weeks with the Moochie Show. But no different, really, from where they've already been.

2. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Its strange that Fran Blinberry writes articles, usually, when things seem very bleak for the Rockets.

Purely coincedental, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

3. SmeggySmeg

he's a columnist, not the general day to day reporter (Feigan)

when something significant happens he writes something!!

Up to the players to repond and prove him wrong

4. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

If you enjoys Frans articles your not a Rockets Fan!

You just don't get it, do you. He's laughing at the Rockets, he wants to see them fail.

Look behind his cute metaphors, he's a bumbling idiot.

hey just say you enjoy crude metaphors tossed about by a fat man, that part I'll understand. But to gloat over a Fran article gives me the impression that you have the same motives as Fran -- That is, to secretely deep down inside your cynical soul, wish that this new group of young kids would fall on their face because they're punks who make more money than you, and as a "so called respectable journalist" you can't stand it!.(these are Frans motives)

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This coming from the BBS's self-proclaimed owner of analogies, who can't offer any good writing and anything significant. You're obviously just envious of Fran's analogies.

Smeggy, you're a great guy, but as a poster you are a schizophrenic complete joke,,,,and a liar. My manhood is bigger than .24. Don't try to edit your post and say later that you weren't trying to embarrass me. Don't come around this bbs and insult my manhood. Bend over a barrel you git, and I'll give you my 24 high.

6. SmeggySmeg

Where does it say you can't criticise members of the team you are a fan of. What so i have to just say everything is dandy and perfect, there are clear faults with this team and if not they would have a perfect record.

Maybe Fran writes these articles to get this exact response from people like you, fairly easy isn't.

There are so many things to love about this team, but there some very necessary areas of upgrade and personnel mistakes that have been made in my opinion (and other on this public bbs) and what is wrong with stating so!!

I don't criticise you for thinking the team is perfect and nobody makes a mistake

You have no idea if you think i am waiting for them to fail, all I hope for is success.

Now back to the article, let hear your argument why Fran's comments are complete bull, let's start with the points i bolded

• Here is Moochie on the dribble, hammering the ball into the floor like a carpenter being paid by the nail. There are plenty of bbs's who think Mooch (and other guards on the rockets) dribble too much.
    • Which might have gotten the crowd onto its feet, if there had been a crowd. Seems to be stating a fact here, rocket crowd numbers are terrrible, not New Jersey terrible but certainly not good.
    • In the meantime, what the Rockets will have is plenty of time to practice bailing water. He is just stating a view here that he thinks the Rockets will struggle (SINK) without there best player Steve Francis, not completely illogical and plenty of so called experts round the league feel the same way.
    • What it will certainly be is a critical stretch when the Rockets could fall completely from playoff contention, even in the fantasy world they normally inhabit. Actually he appears to be stating the bleeding obvious here, with the second comment criticising the absence of playoff ball in Htown for the past few years. If steve comes back in a month and the rockets are 10-17, things might be done.
    • As in failing to show up on defense, making bad decisions and not hitting wide-open shots. Falling behind 21 to the Clippers. Relying on Kelvin Cato. Not sure about any lies here, teams are scoring fairly easily, the decisions aren't great (see the numerous threads at the moment about decision making), the shooting percentage hasn't been great, the first quarters have been terrible and the Cato comment is called sarcasm (try www.dictionary.com).

Smeg

7. SmeggySmeg

LOL
    Will have the barrell handy and ready for some action from your 0.24 low limp manhood

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

You're right smeg, this is a hilarious instant classic. I'm gonna save it to my keepsake archive listing. :D

9. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

SmeggySmeg, when you say things like oooh "Another Fran Classic" and "my favorite lines" and "it's a belter mate", that is called gloating madam, nothing more, nothing less. You get a kick out of Franny Boy theres no denying that my friend, thats why he promotes this garbage, he knows you'll succumb to bad wit even though it's terribly onesided. Well hell, thats all find and dandy, but Smeg, we know you know better, your blessed with the variety of swaying opinion here at clutchcity, but what about that misinformed kid here in Houston whos misinformed dad never introduces him to an takes him to an exciting Rocket team or worse yet shrugs houston basketball off all together because of the onesided trash hes gets brainwashed with while taking a dump everymorning.

Theres one overriding fact about Blineberry that gives his whole sorry act away: the timing of his Rocket articles.

Look at the title of articles so far this season:

With a chance to start anew, Cato shows he hasn't gotten messages

This Way, NBA has no shot with Fans(after spurs loss)

Phil Shaq the story line until ROckets add twist

Saus Stevie, wonder how bad it will get.

All these articles above(with the exception of his pathetic training camp one) have come after losses. last I checked we have just as many wins as losses and we were 5-1 at one time: Were was that fat punk then.

Thats what he is nothing but a fat ass punk!

10. SmeggySmeg

So he's a critic, maybe that's what he gets paid for. Feigan writes the daily recap and nice stories. It's an assumption, fran criticises and feigan doesn't.

Nice argument if you are a politican and avoiding the question, find the lies in the statements I quoted!!!!

Thought the Cato article - was on the money and he still hasn't proved Fran wrong.

Saus Steve - perfectly logical title, if Duncan/Shaq/Iverson, bet there will be articles in each home team about how the team might or will struggle without there best player.

This Way, NBA has no shot with Fans(after spurs loss) - they did shoot terribly, what's the beef with commenting on that

Lakers article - nothing wrong for me

11. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

"So he's a critic, maybe thats what he get paid for."

Well after reading his articles he obviously hes a critic. He has no love for basketball, thats obvious. Hes a fat, unatheletic critic. But I seriously doubt hes getting paid to be such a consistently destructive critic -- thats just come natural out of his personal disdain of guys like Cato, Francis, and Mobley -- guys to him don't fit that so called respectable and humble class of Drexler and Olajuwon -- thats just an assumption, but i feel i'm right on, on that aspect of it.

After all, like one of his story titles go, 'they're just one big circus.'

Nice argument if your a politician and avoiding the question, find the lies in the statements i quoted!!!

Well obviously he called it like he saw it. When a team losses, and your paid to criticize, you rub your plump hands with satisfactory glee. Then you obviosuly point out all the negatives and only the parts of the game that were gloomy....But I'm not buying that, to say Fran gets paid to soley criticize is more than likely a bunch of horse****.

Heres the fact Smeg and heres what gets to me: Two more made baskets by the Rockets and Fran has no inclination for a story!! We wouldn't even be discussing this. Tommorrow mornings headline would of been about Texans football or Pete Sampras's back stroke.

#11 ROCKETBOOSTER, Nov 28, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2001
  12. Smashingworth

Smashingworth Member

Y'know, here's the thing. Fran's an *******, not a critic. And being an ******* is never a good thing. Nobody likes that.
    A critic is foremost a fan of the subject he criticizes. He's supposed to criticize because he wants to address problems and promote improvement and success. ALL of Fran's articles are about cynicism and maliciousness. He hates this team and seems eager to make the city hate them as well. The fact is, that's not what I read the Chronicle for. I want intelligent, hard-hitting analysis that points out the problems and seeks out the cure. Fran doesn't point out a cure. He just points and laughs. It's all bull with this guy.

13. SmeggySmeg

yeah but they didn't (and that's a fact) !!!!

14. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

....but they did seven other times!

Thats right!

seven other times just enough shots fell!

seven other times his deceitful motives have been suppressed!!

Thats a fact...nothing but a sad fact.

15. SmeggySmeg

the seven times the shots dropped is not sad... Wins are great!!

he gets paid to write critically articles, the Chron wouldn't have him write one when the rockets played well and won.

It is his job.......

16. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Smeg, how do you know he gets paid to write just criticizing articles?

C'mon thats hogwash and you know it!

7 wins = 0 Blindberrys

17. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Smeg, just admit you were lead astray by his cunning writing style.

Admit to me hes a jackass and I'll forgive you. ;)

18. SmeggySmeg

simple assumption, he is a journalist, so i assume he isn't writing for the Chron for free, so he would getting paid and would have a editor directing him, also find me an article where he doesn't criticise the rockets????.

it's also not after ever loss we get a blinebury.

19. SmeggySmeg

Rbooster,

sorry, i actually like his writing, we have a guy hear in my town who criticises the local team and other teams round the country (and also used a pile of sarcasm) and i don't take it personally . I play and coach and don't have a problem with people criticising when we play poorly or lose.

it's not about you forgiving me, not seeking it, I think he is spot on with this current article, go back to my comments in bold take off your rocket boxer shorts and remove your rockets heart and re-read the comments and then tell me they aren't accurate comments about the rockets at the minute.

at the end of the day we might just have to agree to disagree we are both obviously big rocket fans, it's just i don't have a problem with criticism of the team and want improvement and think it is necessary for success.

Smeg

20. red

red Contributing Member

I told those fudgepackers I like micheal bolton's music...