1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BobFinn*, Aug 27, 2000.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

From clipper report.com:

So why Houston?

According to Taylor, it was the team the offered the best opportunity for him to showcase his skills, which he feels, will blossom during the upcoming season. It's these skills that once made evident, should necessitate what he and his agent feel he is worth.

Hence the one-year deal.

In the best of all possible worlds, this could very well happen. But Taylor also runs the highly probable risk of a more realistic exposure, especially under the close scrutiny of Rudy Tomjanovich and the Houston media.

While Taylor may have looked impressive within a Clipper organization void of an established superstar, his three year career average of 14.8 points and 5.2 rebounds in not something which generally equates with the NBA's upper echelon.

His recent improvement to 17.1 points per game in the 1999 season still rank him behind such household names as Michael Dickerson (Vancouver) , Sam Cassell (Milwaukee), Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas)
    and Paul Pierce (Boston) .

Ironically enough, none of these players have or are currently demanding league maximum.

Yet Falk and Taylor are still holding out hope that the eyes of the NBA will realize his extreme potential, and the pocketbooks of owners across the league will suddenly blossom.

"I wanted to do the one-year deal because I thought it was best for me," said Taylor. "On the financial end, I didn't want to get trapped into a long-term deal at this point in time because I felt that a lot of people haven't seen me play my best basketball. With me coming to a new situation with Houston, I think that people will see me play my best basketball and it would be better for me down the line financially."

With the NBA's regular season scheduled to start on Tuesday, October 31, we all eagerly anticipate watching Taylor play his best basketball. We all eagerly anticipate his best rebounding, and we all eagerly anticipate his best efforts.

Unfortunately, for those of us who are familiar with him, that eagerness may quickly turn into a Maurice Taylor re-run.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is my biggest fear, that Mo, is really a Mo-Fo, and we are r****ding KT's growth.

I hope he plays well, but I will with hold giving it my resounding thumbs up, until I see how he fits in.

DaDakota

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

3. BobFinn*

With me coming to a new situation with Houston, I think that people will see me play my best basketball and it would be better for me down the line financially."

Is it me or does it seem like this guy's only concern is with how much money he gets?

------------------

4. DaDakota

This is what I REALLY think.

He was looking for a team that would give him the ball, and showcase him for next year.

I do not believe that he REALLY wants to play here for the rest of his career.

Now, he may stay if he likes it, but I do not think that Mo Taylor is an honarable man, based on his history to this point.

He is young, but so is KT, I truthfully think KT has a larger upside, he is a better defender and outside shooter, and a much better rebounder, not to mention he has the best court vision on the Rockets today.

I feel a bit bittersweet by this acquisition, I want to see KT develop, and I hope he gets his minutes.

DaDakota

------------------

5. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

What is not mentioned here is the presence of Steve Francis. Although still under his rookie contract, he is the type of player that can ask for and receive the max without any questions asked. Already a star in the league, he has that ability to make everyone around him better. So, if everyone on the team has a career year, do they all deserve the max, or are those career years due to the presence of Francis? Mo T will have to fit into the offense of Rudy T, like the article says. Now, if he plays within that system and still stands out, scores 20 a game and rebounds 9+, does that mean he gets the max because of his abilities or because the offense allowed him to improve? I just don't believe, in my opinion, that one great season in a new system would give him the right to ask for the max from the Rockets. Not with Steve here. By doing so, you are saying he is a par with Francis, which I do not believe he is.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

Dog lover here....cats beware.

6. DaDakota

Behad,

Great point, and don't forget that Shandon will be looking for a new deal, and we will owe him one, for signing for such a low amount.

DaDakota

------------------

7. BobFinn*

Shandon is priority #1 next offseason. Mo/Falk will get the leftovers if they deserve it.

------------------

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Mobley took quite a reasonable contract over 6 years - can we convince Taylor to sign here for a reasonable amount?

On Shandon, will he opt out of his contract seeking the pay-day? OR will he wait the extra year and take his brid rights?

------------------

9. DaDakota

I guess it depends on how well they both play this year.

We have solid players behind both of them.

Man, I can not believe that Rudy rebuilt this team in ONE year.

WOW !!! It is great to be a Rocket fan.

DaDakota

------------------

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

That's the $92 million question, DR.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

Dog lover here....cats beware.

11. DaDakota

I don't think SA is a max player, he will get around 5-6 million a year, no more.

I really think for him and Mo, it will depend on how well this team plays THIS year.

We have a lot of people who NEED the ball to succeed, if anything it will make the year fun to watch.

DaDakota - Can we play with 2 balls?

------------------

12. BobFinn*

WOW !!! It is great to be a Rocket fan.

DaDakota

Just got my dish hooked up and my subscription to NBA League Pass. Can't wait for the season to start.

------------------

13. DaDakota

BobFinn,

I have had the dish for 4 years, still have it, and love the programming.

You might want to look up a newsgroup titled.

Alt.DSS.hack.

It is very interesting reading.

[​IMG]

DaDakota

------------------

14. BobFinn*

Can't seem to get in to read it, but will keep trying. Thanks Da [​IMG]

------------------

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I have never really said this but I will now. If we plan on being a championship contender, we cannot expect to start Kenny Thomas at the power forward. He is a nice role player and a good guy off the bench, but, if he is the starting PF, we are in trouble.

Taylor may have attitude problems or maybe he won't, but he is the type of guy that has the potential to be a legitimate starter at power forward on any team in this league.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

16. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

I think Mo Taylor and KT make a great 1/2 punch combination. KT is an ideal backup player, imo. He is a very under rated defensive player who uses his quickness well. Wait until KT get a couple more years in this league. There won't be anymore calls for Othella Harrington or Carlos Rogers, because KT is better than any of the backup PFs we have had in the past.

------------------
    -The expert has spoken, so shut up and try to comprehend the truth.

17. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Personally, I appreciate Taylor's honesty in admitting he made his decision for his financial future. Why lie about it? To make Houston fans feel better? If I'm going to take a job below market value, I'd better get a payoff down the line. I don't think it's unreasonable for Taylor to be looking for that big payoff also. Would we feel better if he SAID all the right things so that we wouldn't know how important the money was to him?

To me, in my job, it's not ALL about the money, but it's pretty damn close.

------------------
    "There's 1,000 different things we're looking at, but there's not a lot of things there." -- Rudy T., apparently after taking a hit of acid.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm still trying to figure out why athletes have to adhere to a different standard than the rest of the population.

I left my job at a law firm after three years. You know why? Mo money, mo money, mo money.

Why should a basketball player be any different?

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

19. DaDakota

Amen Rocketman !!

Power to the people.

DaDakota

------------------

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Jeff -- Do you think the Lakers were saying that about AC Green?