1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another another unarmed black man shot by Police

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rockbox, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Wow, human nature. Cops should know what they are signing up for when taking the job. They shouldn't treat everyone like criminals. Every situation is different and cops should not automatically think worst case scenario. Not sure why you want to give this cop a pass. I'm just glad you aren't apart of a police force.

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Video was disturbing. Cop should be fired and locked up.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . . this does not happen enough
    The Officers' "DON'T SNITCH" protocol is much strong than any one elses
    the BLUE SHIELD/BLUE LINE protects them from and consequences of the EVIL they do

Rocket River
    Until the GOOD COPS start arresting the BAD COPS . . . .. there are no 'good' cops

1 person likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, a few things.

1. They DO know what they are signing up for, that's why they treat everyone as a potential threat.

2. You have to treat everyone as a potential threat or you can end up getting hurt....that's not just a rule for cops either. Only a child walks around pretending that everyone is their friend and that they are safe all the time.....that said, that's not an excuse for shooting or attacking an innocent person.

3. I'm not giving this cop a pass, I've said from the start that he should be fired and incarcerated, stop thinking in such binary terms.

When you deal with cops, you have to treat them almost as if they are a wild animal, no sudden movements and do absolutely nothing that can be taken as an aggressive move. Stay in your car unless they tell you otherwise and keep your hands on the steering wheel unless they tell you to do something....and even then do so in a slow, deliberate pace.

It's best to avoid police altogether if you can, but if you have to deal with them, you should realize that things could potentially go very wrong and act accordingly. I've personally been held at gunpoint by police without doing anything wrong....if I'd have acted hostile towards them or made any sudden moves, you can bet they'd have shot me.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not disagreeing with you Bobby but it is sad that we have come to the point where the people who are meant to protect us we have to treat like wild animals and avoid.

So much for To protect and serve.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly.

They are the HOUNDS that have been released on the public

Rocket River

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's a pretty terrible situation without a really good solution. Dial back the police, and you have more issues with crime getting out of hand, let the police run wild and you have all sorts of infringements of civil liberties. It's a balancing act and I don't envy those who have to decide exactly where to draw the lines.

As a barely related topic, I think it would help if we had a government that worked with the people to try and make whatever they wanted to do legal in as many cases as possible rather than a government that tries to decide what the public "ought" to do. We aren't helping ourselves out by criminalizing millions of people. There's no reason why we can't find ways for people to relatively safely do drugs legally if they choose, the same goes for prostitution and other social vices that have been turned into crimes.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It doesn't have to be this way. COP can be highly trained, able to discern from in-my-head threat vs actual real reality threat and be trusted by the public.

When we don't push COP in that direction, we are doing a disservice to ourselves and to the good cops.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

once upon a time . . .there was unlimited freedom
    Then governments decided . . .well these things should be illegal
    now
    Government have unlimited laws
    and they try to tell you what should be legal

Rocket River

10. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Thank God for video. Both this one and the one with Walmart. Without them, there's really no concrete evidence to give a 2nd viewpoint on what really happened.

I really don't see any reason why Cops can't be outfitted with body cams now. I think it'll help both sides.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And once upon a time we lived in caves as hunter gatherers and life expectancy was 15.

12. mikus

mikus Member

I actually agree with Bobby that unfortunately today, you MUST treat cops as some kind of wild animal, or like that tiger in India that someone posted in Hangout. The question here is, this is America, are we supposed to be living this way? When my Russian co-workers tell me that they are less afraid of the cops in Russia than some of these cops in the US, I think we are heading down a wrong path.

My Russian friends say that you may get beat up by cops in Russia but shootings are heavily investigated by their departments and are actually somewhat rare.

13. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I have the solution. Since white cops are the only ethnicity that shoots unarmed people (BLACKS cannot possibly do so) how about we make a rule that only black officers can respond to complaints/incidents/calls in general that involve blacks. BOOM problem solved.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It certainly seems that way, doesn't it?

(In before you go searching on the Internet for a black cop shooting innocents)

15. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I don't need to waste my time doing so. Nor should anyone else. The people that truly believe this are ignorant to a new level.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So Totalitarian oligarchy is the logical end result of civilization and evolution?

Rocket River

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Someone just posted this older video on my Facebook newsfeed. I find this video very disturbing. The poor guy that got shot at did nothing but exactly what the cop told him to do, and got shot at, 4 times. He would be dead if that cop wasn't such a terrible shooter. I hope the cop goes to jail. What happened in this case?

18. Remii

Remii Member

When you need a workforce sometimes you have to get who you can get. A police officer's job can be one of the hardest to do but it's definitely not one of the hardest to get... They'll hire just about anyone. People aren't necessarily clamoring to do that job so the police force isn't getting a big percentage of the best in the brightest out of the population... The pay is not great for that job. That is why you have a dumb azz like this who will open fire at a gas station without even seeing a weapon 1st.

People better follow Richard Pryor's advice and talk to the police officers like they're stupid and or treat them like wild animals as another poster suggested. You can't hold these guys to a higher standard when dealing with them because there are stupid and or scared ones out there like this guy so you have to treat them as such.

19. Remii

Remii Member

But how can 'GOOD COPS' arrest 'STUPID COPS' :confused:

A lot of these cops don't show their stupidity until they get in certain situations and many times you can't see stupid coming.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Police are way too trigger happy.