1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

another 60 points for Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by amathie, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Northside Moss

On an OT note, Pau went off for 35 and 15 against the Lakers, leaving me to wonder how Yao would do...

But yeah, Kobe better not be bringing 60 points to us, that would suck.

2. melo061

melo061 Member

Kobe shoots 46.3% and tonight it'll probably go to 46.5%. That's pretty effecient for a guy who shot a lot of long jumpers.

Tmac on the other hand...

3. kikimama

kikimama Member

This is the same thing you guys get mad about when other people criticize Yao. How hypocritical...

4. max14

max14 Member

WOW you are really obsessed about Kobe Bryant.

Kobe suckers, they are the worst.

Dirk is shooting 50% and he still sucks. T-Mac is too busy winning games rather than ballhoging.

5. Gay4Battier

Gay4Battier Member

u r a dumbass

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I know that, I was just wondering aloud how many points, say, a guy like Wade -- who not only shoots consistently more efficiently than Kobe does but also gets to the line more -- would get if he put up 40 shots a game (pretty much Kobe's average over the last 3 games)?

Just a general question, I am not 'deriding' Kobe for a great offensive performance. He's a great player and the best scorer in the league.

Relax Kobe lovers, I am a fan of his, don't get your panties in a wad because I didn't immediately go, "OMG! I want to s*** his d***!"

So, anyone willing to indulge me and answer the hypothetical question (Hypothetical because we will likely never see the day Wade or Dirk or Duncan put up 40 shots a game in any stretch of games).

#26 tigermission1, Mar 22, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

while i would say wade has been better than kobe this season, it wouldn't be because of shooting efficiency. their true shooting percentages, the best measure of shooting efficiency, are essentially identical - wade at 58.9, kobe at 58.5. wade shoots a better fg% but kobe takes more 3's (and hits at a much better %) and hits ft's at a much better percentage, which pretty much erases the raw fg% differential. and on a side note, somehow kobe is up to #4 on PER now. wade way ahead of everyone at 30, then dirk at 28, then yao 26.5, then kobe. he was pretty far behind earlier. also, nash at 10 :).

8. amathie

amathie Member

the first 20 shot attempt are easy, but if you score over 50%, you will have a very difficult time to even get close to the ball, because the defense will all focus on you. I think kobe did great, he shots over 50%, and lakers won in the last three games while kobe scored 50+ each game.

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

We know that the only thing that kobe like do is score points, because he is a ballhog, we saw in the ASG, I like a player like Tmac who shares the ball, he has 8.4 assists per 48 mins and kobe has 6.6 per 48 mins, even rafer alston have more assists per 48 min than kobe.

Kobe is in Lakers to score points, thats it.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, if Kobe scoring 60 only beat Memphis by 2 points, then I'm not afraid of the Lakers. Let him score 60 again and we'll still blow them out. BTW, no one mentioned that Odom scored 20 on 8-12 shooting and grabbed 15 rebounds. That just shows you how their scrubs suck.

11. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Well, this is pretty much Kobe's best season in terms of fg% at 46%, which is pretty damn good for a guard, IMO.

Wade is at 50%...ridiculously good for a guard.

I am not sure how one can hold Wade's lack of 3pt shooting touch against him when it might be the biggest reason as to why he's as efficient and great a player as he is. Kobe has taken 317 threes so far in the season; Wade has only taken 78 threes.

Even though Kobe is shooting a better % this year than he has in the past, he's normally a low-30's guy for most of his career, not much better than McGrady. I have always viewed Kobe's and McGrady's love for the three-pointer as a 'crutch' and not a positive, because they do tend to settle for it a bit too much, and even Lakers fans have complained about that quite a bit in the past.

Wade plays to his strengths, Kobe and McGrady haven't always done so, although Kobe is better at it now than he has been in the past.

81% vs. 86%. You make it sound like Wade stinks it up from the FT or something.

"Much better"...OK!

PER is certainly one indicator, but just keep in mind that it doesn't account for the most important factor of all: winning.

Therefore, Nash and Dirk and Duncan would be tops on my list for this season, with guys like Lebron and McGrady somewhere in there.

IMO, Kobe's best season was the 2002-03 season, in which he averaged 30ppg on 45% shooting, 7 rebs, 6 asts, and 2 stls. That was an amazing season for him from an individual and team standpoint.

BTW, do you or someone else happen to have the top 25 or 50 players on the PER chart? I was only able to view top 5.

#31 tigermission1, Mar 23, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  12. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

If by "hot once in a while" you mean 50+ 3 times consecutively.

Is this the Playa Hata's Ball?

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

he actually shot better from 99 to 02. all in the 46.X% range, but still better. but the threes and frees weren't as good as they are now.

true.

i'm not "holding it against him," i'm just pointing out the fallacy of only using fg% for efficiency. wade almost exclusively shoots 2's, kobe takes almost 25% of his shots from 3, and hits the ones he does take at a much higher rate, which goes into true shooting %.

obviously when you shoot 35% on 3's, the more you take, the more it hurts your fg%, but the fact 3's are worth 50% more evens that out a bunch. kobe hits 49.6% of his 2's, meaning he gets .992 points for each 2 attempted, but makes 35.6% of his 3's, giving him 1.068 points for each 3 attempted. now ft's are going to come from 2's most of the time and should somehow be added to the 2's, but even wade doesn't drive every single time and takes the occasional jumper and the point is kobe's 3 go in enough to make it worth throwing up a 3 for every couple 2 point jumpers. at the end of the day, by the time you account for 2's, 3's, and ft's, kobe is just as efficient as wade.

while i do often think of it as "the easy way out" to just throw up a 3, neither guy is quite as explosive getting to the hoop as wade and both guys shoot 3's much better than wade, and tmac just plain isn't big on going to the hoop, so they end up shooting more 3's. if you can just come down and shoot a 3 with little effort and it goes in 35% of the time, it's not an entirely bad idea from an energy-saving/still-scoring perspective.

while i actually was thinking wade was in the mid to high 70s (and was wrong) when i said that, the point is kobe is still a level up from wade on ft%.

so basically we just go down the standings and pick out the best player from each team and that's the order. that seems a little too simplistic.

14. FJY

FJY Member

No matter what Kobe does, people will find a way to hate him.

He defer to his teammate a lot when saying he's selfish, they lost all their games, and now he's trying to score and win games, people say he's a ball hog.

Whatever, but you have to admit that he's the BEST in the league now, and one of the greatest ever to play the game, and you got to respect he's desire to win games, and he's work ethic.

You don't have to like him, but you have to respect the guy.

15. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

Kobe's just relentless when it comes to scoring. I wish Yao had that kind of desire to keep scoring.

16. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

I just like that Kobe is doing what it takes to get his team to win. Winning is all that matters in basketball, and he'll soon find out having to score 50+ as a trump card to win won't get him anywhere, but he's keeping his team alive now which is good.

He can't possibly rely on 50+ games in the playoffs, can he? It's interesting to see.

Anyways, it's obvious he needs to score a lot to win. Ballhogging is out of the question because you can see that when he passes he loses. I don't mind the ball hogging because you know he tried not to do it but it didn't work out and now he's putting his team on his back and balling it up.

How long can he go on with this is the question. How far can Kobe alone take them? We shall see. I'm pretty intrigued now that the Kobe who sat back and did nothing during a 7 game losing streak is gone and the one who kept his team alive last season is back.

17. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

Kobe Bryant is at his best when all he does is try to score. When he starts passing and trying to get his teammates involved, thats when they struggle. He is just not as good at setting up his teammates as he is scoring. Lakers are a threat when Kobe scores like this. Problem is, when you have to score 50+ against mediocre teams, what do you have to do to beat the great teams?

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

if T-mac was scoring 60, everyone would be nutting on themselves. but just b/c it's Kobe, they have to hate. :rolleyes:

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Kobe has the "fire." Few do. Love him or hate him, he will end his career as one of the all time greats. There are not many players that can do what he can do, period.

20. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Michael Redd
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Position: G
    Height: 6-6 Weight: 215
    College : Ohio State
    Player file | Team stats

2006-07 Statistics
    PPG 27.2
    RPG 3.7
    APG 2.4
    SPG 1.19
    BPG .17
    FG% .462
    FT% .839
    3P% .371
    MPG 38.9

Kobe Bryant
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Position: G
    Height: 6-6 Weight: 220
    High School : Lower Merion HS (PA)
    Player file | Team stats

2006-07 Statistics
    PPG 30.5
    RPG 5.7
    APG 5.5
    SPG 1.44
    BPG .40
    FG% .465
    FT% .866
    3P% .358
    MPG 40.2

If we're just talking about points, if Redd would jack up more shots he's one of the best ever?