1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

oh yeah there's enough for another 20 episodes, but I thought that 20 was the end of the first season.

The manga is at 124 chapters and the anime only took us to chapter 50.

I'm behind on almost all the others you mentioned. I haven't started no game no life yet but it's on my list.

Heck if I'm being honest I still haven't finished a bunch from the winter season and I've already started a list for summer!! :(

If you want to read attack on titan mangahere is pretty good about updates. I've been buying the manga with the official english translations so you can get them through amazon for a decent price.

#1201 Hayesfan, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I suggest you just go ahead and read the manga instead of hoping for the second season. The way animes work in Japan is different from regular TV shows in the US. The way they generate income isn't through ratings but rather DVD/BD sales, promotion of source material, and other side stuff like action figures. Given the popularity of the manga currently, it's possible they won't produce season 2 simply when there's enough source matieral, but rather based on market opportunity instead. I do believe they'll eventually produce a 2nd season because this is such a popular manga, but it might not be as quick as a fan may hope.

I personally feel that especially these days, with so few original animation, animes in general feel like more a promotion for manga/light novel/game rather than truly trying to turn a profit themselves.

3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Anyone into the new series on Toonami called Attack on Titan? A 3 walled city fights to survive against giant humanoids that eat them! Super creepy!

4. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Attack of Titan? Never heard of that show. Sounds interesting, I will put it on my watch list
    :p

5. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

not sure if srs

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Toonami has been killing it since it came back. The best thing to happen to the block was just putting it on once a week. They have so much new material on the block now.

Don't know how well Space Dandy did in the ratings, but I didnt like it one bit, Yet it didnt torpedo the block because there was just so much content to watch throughout the night. I still remember when back in the day they would Repeat DBZ over and over again. I would just stop watching for months because their other shows were also in repeats.

Dragon Ball Z Kai buu saga coming to the block soon too.

7. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Are you talking about AoT or nisekoi? If AoT, I can see that happening. I firmly believe most of the fans of it are mostly outside of Japan and are the types who aren't into collecting.

Oh geez, this might as well be a recurring meme lol.

8. Hmm

Hmm Member

The English dubbed title doesn't even make sense.... as if there were one singular Titan in the entire series... unless they're referring to the entirety of the walled city as "Titan" in the English dub... which would be pretty ridiculous...

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

AoT. It seemed I must've submitted my post quite late because when I wrote it, Hayesfan hadn't posted yet.

Yeah, the international scene doesn't affect whether or not an anime gets produced. It's purely based on the Japanese market.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

That's because the name is the original English name from the Japanese manga. Not sure if it's the manga author who came up with it. Regardless, Japanese are pretty notorious at butchering English. The more apt translation would be "Attack of the Titans" or "Advance of the Titans" or something like that. The singular/plural issue is due to the fact that Japanese don't really differentiate between singular and plural through the noun itself. And the title doesn't make a distinction either so it technically the title would also work if there's only one titan in the story.

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I just finished watching Kill la Kill on netflix. As a big fan of Gurren Lagann I loved it. Great music and crazy good animation and goofy and funny as hell.

I hope director Hiroyuki Imaishi and writer Kazuki Nakashima do more collaborations in the future because they just make pure gold.

[​IMG]

12. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Been into watching anime films lately and need some recommendations. Recently watched spirited away, which I loved, my neighbor totoro, which I thought was decent until I read read some theories then it just felt messed up. Bought wolf children Blu Ray and really enjoyed how the story progressed instead of how I predicted it.

The list I'm going to watch currently consists of:
    The girl who leapt through time
    Summer wars
    Grave of the fireflies

What are yalls favorite Hayao Miyazaki films? I'm a fan of his work and depending on how I like summer wars I might just be a big fan of mamoru hosada.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Watch Grave of the Fireflies first than the other 2 to take the edge off.

Man, you're really going to LOVE Summer Wars and TGWLTT I haven't watched his other movie, Wolf Children, because it didnt look like my cup of tea but his first two films weren't in my wheel house either and I really enjoyed them.

Princess Mononoke is my favorite Miyazaki film, but you really cant go wrong with any of his stuff. I haven't watched his latest film.. looks boring...

Check out Redline it it bat-**** crazy but animated beautifully.

14. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

I posted my favorite anime movies here (this thread, about five months ago).

My personal favorite of his Miyazaki's is Howl's Moving Castle, but there are a lot of close runner-ups for me: Porco Rosso, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away. And those are just my very favorites. Almost everything else Miyazaki has done is great as well -- I'm not that crazy about Castle of Cagliostro and I think Castle in the Sky is a bit overrated, but that's about as much complaint as I can muster as far as Miyazaki is concerned. In addition to Miyazaki-directed works, throw on Whisper of the Heart, The Cat Returns, Arrietty, and From Up on Poppy Hill as other great Ghibli works to look at.

15. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Idk how I'll feel after grave of the fireflies, but I'm excited for summer wars. I forget about red line because I consider it a comic lol.

As long as it's not the ones with the dark subliminal message like totoro, that one changed me.. I thought it was a happy happy story. Is Arriety that good, wasn't too interested in the story, but I had my eye on poppy Hill too.

Thanks for list, keep em' coming if you got more.

16. AtheistPreacher

I don't really buy the whole dark secret message thing on Totoro. I suppose it's a possible interpretation, but some of it seems like a stretch. For instance, the "no shadows" thing... in a lot of scenes people don't have shadows because they just didn't bother to draw them. Besides, they meet back up with the old lady and the boy at the end anyway. How can they seem them if this dark theory is right? I just ain't buyin' it.

Arrietty's good, it's not best among the Ghibli films or anything, but I enjoyed it. I think I liked Poppy Hill more, actually, although the love story is... weird.

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

The girls' names... that the word "Sayama" (granted it's a brand of tea) is in clear view in one scene when they're about to have tea... the little sister Mei sitting at the foot of Jizo statues in tears... Protectors of travelers, women, and children who have died...? The Bus sign of the Cat bus carrying the older sister Satsui to her younger sister Mei, reading, "Grave road"...?

All too coincidental if you ask me..... to just write off the lack of shadows at the end as they're finally "reunited" as the result of a frugal studio...

18. Hmm

Hmm Member

Satsuki**

19. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Didn't really notice the shadow thing, but Just the whole totoro = death God theory I can actually buy. Mei actually drowning in that pond and satsuki going to the death God for helpfinding her sister. Wasn't the black dustbunnies also a sign of those who see it a death to come or something like that. Though the old lady said she saw it when she was a little girl, but she's still alive.

Though the umbrella scene was classic. Best part hands down.

20. AtheistPreacher

Yeah, but again, what about the fact that meet up with the old lady and the boy in the end? If they're actually dead, it would have been so easy to just finish with a shot of them travelling back, without actually reuniting with anybody. And yet they meet back up with people who are definitely still alive. How does that not just shoot this whole theory to hell?