1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

2. Bigpetelikeiron

FLCL

Reign: The Conqueror

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

If you want real anime, I strongly suggest

DORAEMON

[​IMG]

Probably the best thing ever out there... all time...
    I promise you will not regret.

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I STRONGLY AGREED

i was child then and it was awesome!!!!

this and DBZ are two anime that i grew up with

5. Marteen

Marteen Member

Watch it! You will not regret it! Try to watch 10 episodes each day which is about 2 and a half hours each day of anime. That shouldn't be alot unless you're 24/7. It's one of the greatest animes of all time.

Crunchyroll is okay except there are too many ads played while watching episodes of an anime. Minimum of four 30-second ads in each episode you see of a show. And yes, it's free.

A good site to watch DBZ episodes

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am the same way as the previous person with ONE PIECE
    500 Episodes is a heck of lot of catching up.
    10 episodes a day = 50 days!! - almost 2 months to catch up.

When I tried to watch it it seems a bit on the silly side.
    but . . I was told that maybe the filler episodes.

Rocket River

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd bite on One Piece if I had a list of the filler eps to avoid.

I know Bleach and Naruto fillers mostly because I've read ahead and the quality is noticably different for Naruto.

8. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

If you want a short series with a deep story: Xam'd

If you want a 100+ episode series that has a bad ass main character: Golgo 13 (some female nudity in this)

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly. I was a bit in to Bleach . . but got lost at some point.
    Been checking out Claymores but they seem to be moving slow getting to the U.S. or just being made at all.

GolGo 13 was a nice series. Dunno where to find them through

Rocket River

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I'm not a big anime fan... I started watching the Sekirei series cause it was streaming on Netflix. Cowboy Bebop is on my list to watch.

11. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

12. Marteen

Marteen Member

It seems silly at times, but it's great entertainment. However, you have to keep watching. Seriously. It will pick up after a certain point and you'll send me 1000 "thank you"'s in my e-mail once you're caught up.

And if you STILL don't believe me that it becomes the greatest anime ever after a while, it is currently the highest selling manga in Shounen Jump History.

Btw, I watched Samurai Champloo, and it was great. Mugen kicked butt, Gin was very cool, and Fuu was annoying but fun. Hope to watch the other animes recommended to me.

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I watched pokemon when I was a kid

14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

One Piece is awesome, just avoid the filler. Also anyone that has not seen Mother fackin Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann needs to correct themselves. It will put hair on your chest and turn your cat into a lion. I prefer the subs, but the English dub is decent in it's own right.

[​IMG]

15. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Hi guys and gals-

I'm new to the board... sort of. I used to post here under a username I shared with my brother. That was over 8 years ago, and since then my brother has been the sole user of that older s/n here, and I had moved on to other boards, partly because I really lost interest in the Rockets. However, I've never really found a board better than this one, with such a large community of people with so many varied interests. I'm not sure how much time I'll actually spend on here, but I thought I'd make my first post in a decade and see where it takes me.

I decided for my first post to resurrect this anime thread, because I'm actually a pretty huge anime nut. I'd be more than happy to make some recommendations, or to hear recommendations from others. You can find a list of everything I've watched (organized by my personal rating of each) here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?user=AtheistPreacher&categ=3&sort=-rating

For my favorite movies, I'd have to say pretty much anything by Studio Ghibli, anything by Satoshi Kon, along with Ghost in the Shell, Akira, a couple of Yoshiaki Kawajiri flicks -- Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust -- and a couple of Mamoru Hosoda flicks -- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars.

As for series, I have many favorites in many different genres, but here's a few to look at:

Texhnolyze (this is my very favorite, although it's quite slow and not for everyone)
    Mushi-Shi
    Dennō Coil (not available in the US, but there are fansubs around if you google it)
    Elfen Lied
    Paranoia Agent
    Kino's Journey
    Gunslinger Girl
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (both seasons 1 and 2)
    Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
    Ergo Proxy
    RahXephon
    Claymore
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Emma: A Victorian Romance
    Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

If you follow the links, you'll notice that more than half of these are available on Netflix streaming, and almost all the others are available on DVD. I think I would have to recommend Mushi-Shi above all; I defy anyone to dislike that show. It's on Netflix streaming, so start watching it!

Now, on to some responses to posts from the thread:

Cowboy Bebop is often held up as the quintessential anime, and possibly the greatest series ever. And while I do like it, I also think it gets overrated, possibly because it's simply had more exposure in the states than other, more "serious" anime aimed at older audiences. Even the English voicework, often praised as being even better than the Japanese voices, is a little overblown in reputation. I grant that Steven Blum is spot-on as the lead (he's also Mugen in Samurai Champloo), but then Steven Blum is always great in whatever he does, and he's done a lot (just check the Wikipedia link on him). The other voice actors are fine, but to me they're nothing to write home about.

I will grant you, however, that Cowboy Bebop has the best OST of any anime series ever, period. Yokko Kanno has become probably the most respected composer of music for anime, and Cowboy Bebop is her crowning achievement. I saw a trailer for Darker Than Black which advertised Yokko Kanno as the show's musical composer. Think about that: how often do musical composers show up in trailers? Not often, but that's how good Yokko Kanno really is. She also did some really great work on the Ghost in the Shell TV series, including some haunting opening themes with Origa, a Russian singer.

I agree that Samurai Champloo is a very good show... good straightforward action adventure. High production values all around, with great animation, music, voice acting, and engaging characters and story. It's hard to miss with that one.

Death Note was good, but IMO the original manga is better. And FWIW, I think that both the manga and the anime could have benefited from being a bit shorter.

As for Naruto, I've never watched it and confess that I don't have much interest in it. I did watch the first eight episodes of Bleach, but I was pretty bored by it, and stopped watching after that. I'm a PhD student in Philosophy of Religion, and I generally prefer shows that give me a bit more to chew on, although there are plenty of exceptions. The best of what I'd like to call "mainline shonen" are probably Fullmetal Alchemist and D.Gray-Man. (Incidentally, my favorite "mainline shoujo" anime would definitely be Ouran High School Host Club and Fruits Basket, both of which have been enjoyed by both my male and female friends).

It basically is Firefly, which is why I and everyone else who had seen Cowboy Bebop were laughing a bit when everyone else was exclaiming over the complete originality of "space cowboys." Cowboy Bebop did it first!

I actually own all of Fighting Spirit on DVD, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Code Geass was created as an original anime series by CLAMP, who were originally a doujinshi circle focused on writing stories surrounding close male friendships, aimed at girls. But they were so wildly successful that they've basically been given carte blache to do whatever the hell they want nowadays.

If you liked Code Geass, I would first of all recommend the second season if you haven't seen it already. There is also an earlier show by CLAMP, titled simply X, which i actually prefer to Code Geass. It's directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri, who also directed Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, two of my favorite films. X is available through Netflix streaming (click the link). I would also recommend Death Note if you like the anti-hero aspect.

I've seen Mobile Suit Gundam SEED and Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny. I was initially bored by the first eight episodes, but it got better as it went, and I ended up really enjoying the first series, although it had some poor animation in places. Destiny was too much of rehash of the first Gundam SEED for me to enjoy it very much, and it featured one of the most unlikeable characters I've yet seen in a TV series: Shinn Asuka. Man, I just wanted to punch that kid every time I saw him. Also, as good as these series were in general, both of them majorly rushed and botched their endings, so much so that both later saw releases of revised final episodes and addendums just to allow fans some closure. Come on guys, you're not supposed to resolve the stories via voiceovers in the credits!!! Argh!

I really enjoyed Twelve Kingdoms. Very solid and enjoyable fantasy anime. And people grow on trees! I love it!

I did watch Noir... but honestly it didn't grab me. A bit too generic. It's worth noting, though, that the music composer - Yuki Kajiura - went on to do the music for Kara no Kyōkai, which is one of the more astonishing animes I've experienced... up there for best music and best animation I've seen.

EDIT:

I thought I'd add a short clip from Kara no Kyoukai, because I said it was "astonishing," and I wasn't kidding:

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BXRWxfKBVTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's an untranslated clip, which is fine, since the dialogue just distracts from the appeal of the top-grade visuals and music. Sadly, the characters and story (at least in my mind) don't equal the astounding production values lavished on this seven-film OVA series. On a technical level, and particularly in animation and music, it has to be one of the best things I've ever seen, but the story... maybe I just don't get it.

I do really like Makoto Shinkai's stuff. If I have any issue with his stuff, it's that the sci-fi elements sometimes distract from the human stories he's telling. The Place Promised in Our Early Days would have been better if he'd actually de-emphasized the sci-fi aspects, much as I'm a sci-fi fan. His best work is pretty undoubtedly 5 Centimeters Per Second; I liked the first of the three stories in particular.

He also did a great 5-minute short film called She and Her Cat, which has only recently been fan-dubbed into English. It's really very good. You can find it as a YouTube clip here (embedding disabled by request).

Incidentally, if you liked 5 Centimeters Per Second, you should try Emma: A Victorian Romance.

Yeah, I listed Elfen Lied as one of my own favorites above. It does bear saying, though, that the first ten minutes of episode 1 are some of the most brutally bloody and violent in any move or television show that I've yet seen. Fair warning. The show can also be a bit schizophrenic at times, shifting back and forth between cutesy and ultra-violent... but that's only because the main character herself has multiple personalities.

I loved them both. Highly recommended.

As already mentioned, I'd be happy to make more specific recommendations based on things people have already watched and liked, although the recommendations I made at the beginning are meant to cater to a fairly wide range of interests, from Sci-Fi and Comedy to Horror and Action.

#55 AtheistPreacher, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    2 people like this.
  16. VanityHalfBlack

Welcome back AtheistPreacher, Thanks for sharing....

17. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Hmm....I.'m itching for something new, I'll check out Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

There are a lot of great older series, what about the new ones? If you're into even remotely interested in time travel or John Titors stuff, Steins;Gate is a pretty awesome anime. They're on eps 22 out of 24 I think. Eps 22 is probably one of the best single eps I have ever seen for a anime.

My list: Berserk, Gundam Seed + Destiny, Claymore, Hajime no Ippo, Samurai Shamploo, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Steins;Gate, One Piece, Haruhi Suzumiya, K-On!, Full Metal Alchemist, Umineko no Naku Koro, Death Note, Monster, Fist of the North Star and I'm probably forgetting about some others...

#57 chow_yun_fat, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  18. Dei

Dei Member

Sol Bianca

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PcYUvIu1sIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I like the harem comedies, so I like Love Hina (pretty much the original) although it's a bit younger than me now, Sekirei, and Tenchi Muyo GXP. Also got a few others on DVD such as Trigun, Cromartie High School, and Cowboy Bebop. Try to watch nonfiller episodes of Naruto and Bleach (although I got bored with that one after the first 75 episodes). If you like comedies, try Excel Saga and it's semisequel Puni Puni Poemy.

I also just got High School of the Dead on DVD. I've read the manga and it's pretty cool, so I got the anime on a blind buy. I'm pretty sure the fan service is going to be off the charts though.

20. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Have you seen Full Metal Panic!? I haven't watched all of it, but it seems very much in that Love Hina vein (and I have seen all of that one). Also, you'd probably dig Ouran High School Host Club and Great Teacher Onizuka.

Fanservice... I haven't seen anything that beats Tenjho Tenge for that, and I hope I never do. High School of the Dead did look pretty bad in that department, though, at least from the trailers and AMVs I've seen.