1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, I watched it a few years back, it was spectacular, probably in my top 10. The end of episode 3 pretty much turns everything on its head and I had no f**king clue that was gonna happen. I was told it was a serious anime despite it's look, but serious was a gross understatement.

There's also 3 movies. the first 2 movies are just basically the series condensed into movie form. But the 3rd movie acts as a sequel to the series, so your're probably gonna want to check that out after you're done.

mikus likes this.
  2. mikus

mikus Member

Thanks for that tip, I didn't know there was a sequel of any kind to the series. I will look for that when I am done with show.

3. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Just starting erased. Man what an anime.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The first 3/4 of the anime is GOAT material, the final arc was a bit rushed imo and could've been done better. Still a great anime though.

5. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Have tried to watch different anime series in the past, never getting past a couple episodes, but just recently a friend introduced me to one I enjoyed.

Watched Death Note in 2 days, can anyone recommend something else like it?

6. joesr

joesr Member

Code Geass is something recommended but I havent seen it.....yet.

I would recommend Mirai Nikki and Psycho Pass and Death Parade

Preston27 likes this.
  7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I've made it halfway through Yuri on Ice but the reason I keep on watching is that the music and animation during the skating is so good. It's funny, and half the time I think it's unintentional, but the on-ice parts is so compelling. I think it reminds me of the fight scenes in samurai champloo.

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

What about Death Note did you like? It'll be a lot easier to make recommendation based on that.

I feel like a lot of people like Death Note because it feels like a more "mature" drama and all the characters aren't teenagers. Even the ones who are don't necessarily act like kids.

Based on that I'd recommend these to start with:

Erased
    Psycho Pass
    Joker Game
    Fate/Zero
    91 Days

That gives kind of a wide variety of the same "drama that's meant for someone older" vibe. The characters in these aren't kids.

See if any of these appeal to you.

P.S.

The theme for erased is awesome. And this cover of it is awesome.

#2168 DudeWah, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Preston27 and Yung-T like this.
  9. Preston27

That's precisely it. I don't like the general vibe most I've seen give, with the over the top faces/reactions, everyone being a teenager, etc. I also like the characters constantly trying to outsmart each other. I also like the morality questions it raises.

Yung-T likes this.
  10. mikus

mikus Member

Based on that, I concur with the list above. Erased is a serious drama even though there are young kids involved. Psycho Pass is awesome if you ever liked any Philip K. Dick movies like Minority Report.

Preston27 likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Seems like you dig psychological thrillers with some different settings.
    Recommend:
    Eden of the East...It's about unemployed Japanese college students creating a Google-like website. Fairly entertaining thriller that keeps you guessing and more light hearted than what I'd normally watch. Not much violence or boom boom action in this one. Like Death Note, this would probably be better as a live action movie.
    Steins Gate... Pretty decent sci fi, though somewhat morbid.
    Planetes...Garbage men in space. It's a fairly optimistic series, though the main protagonist female is over the top annoying sometimes. Gets preachy in the final arc, but I think it's worth watching for optimistic sci-fi fans who like The Martian or even Gravity.

On the Bubble:
    Monster is a pretty decent psychological thriller. It's about a serial killer, so it discusses morbid topics about man's real nature. I didn't like the ending because the investment was 50-ish mostly addictive episodes, but I could be in the minority.

Someone mentioned Fate/Zero:
    I would watch Fate/Stay (terrible movie but technically the original) or Fate/Unlimited Blade Works (excellent series and somewhat a sequel to Fate/Stay) before Fate/Zero.

Fate/Zero is a prequel to both, and while good standalone just because of its production values, it would be much better if you watch at least one of the above first (Unlimited Blade Works).

Definitely reply if you do watch any

#2171 Invisible Fan, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Preston27 likes this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Discovered Asian Kung-Fu Generation because of Erased (the 2004 album version of the song is the best imo, don't really like the new one), now have all their albums and also got into other Japanese and Korean music.
    PS: Their OP for Fullmetal Alchemist is the shizznit as well, both it and the Erased OP are part of the Sol-Fa album.

Sad to see that Japanese music is so underrated (most likely because of the language aspect), there are a ton of great artists.

DudeWah likes this.
  13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I have to strongly disagree with this. I think that poster was more looking for stuff that appeals to an older audience as compared to just psychological thrillers.

IMO, Fate/Zero would be way more appealing to a newer anime fan than Unlimited Blade Works.

The moral struggle of Kiritsigu and the chaotic progression of Kirei are worth it alone.

But also the foils that Archer and Saber play as well as the character of Rider are really well done.

Plus, Fate/Zero has an excellent dub and is on Netflix, I believe, which is important for newer anime fans.

Also, I think UBW, although it is the source material, is more enjoyable if you've watched Fate/Zero first.

I wanted to recommend more accessible anime to @Preston27 because I know it's hard to see all the awesome anime there are right away without having a good starting point for those who didn't start watching when they were younger.

I do like your Eden of the East recommendation, though. And of course Stein's Gate is an amazing anime.

@Preston27, there have been some good reccomendations here. The ones I listed above and @Invisible Fan have mentioned are a really good starting point. Do let us know what you think.

Last thing, there are well done English dubs for Fate/Zero and Psycho Pass out there (I actually think you should watch these in English). I believe for Stein's Gate as well. But, if you can, try to watch the rest of them subbed in English instead. For example, Erased and Joker Game, which I don't think even have a dub. It seems different at first, but you realize really quickly that you're getting a lot more out of it that way.

Again, let us know what you think!

#2173 DudeWah, Jan 22, 2017
    Preston27 likes this.
  14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I completely agree with you.

Japanese music (especially Rock) is really underrated and has something that American and British Rock don't. There's a lot of good stuff out there.

I've tried to be more global in my music tastes lately. When I was younger I liked a number of bands from Iceland and Finland (because a lot of them sing in English) and I always noticed the same thing. Music from different countries always gives you a different perspective.

I think that's really awesome.

But yes, totally agree with you on Asian Kung-Fu Generation. Great stuff!

Yung-T likes this.
  15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Whoops accidental post.

@713 yeah I've watched it all. I think it's about to pick up soon too. Good call.

#2175 DudeWah, Jan 22, 2017
  16. 713

713 Member

Anybody watching Dragon Ball Super? It's been super slow but I think it's about to pick up. Anybody watched it all already? Should I continue watching?

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I want to say it's mostly garbage, but I binge watch from time to time for the mindless fights while fast forwarding through the filler. So like every 6 weeks, lather, rinse repeat.

#2177 Invisible Fan, Jan 22, 2017
    DudeWah likes this.
  18. Preston27

19. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Just finished it. Why did they rush this man??? This could have been the best anime ever if it was 3 or 4 more episodes. They should have introduced more suspects. I kind of figure out who the killer was by episode 7...

Yung-T likes this.
  20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

So true, really don't get why they did this and it killed this anime's potential legacy. Was absolute GOAT material and the last arc turned it into a good show that I wouldn't necessarily watch again. Or maybe I'd watch the first 3/4 and then imagine a new ending in my head.