1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

My old roommate was really big on it but I never gave it a chance. Last semester I had an anime renaissance and finally saw the show. It was ridiculously amazing and is probably top 3 all time for me. Never knew the show would be so deep and layered. Saw Samurai Champloo as well, obviously loved it but I felt it was more of a fun ride as opposed to a masterpiece like Bebop. I totally forgot there was a movie and will probably get around to watching it. A good way to cap things off as I feel the ending left fans a bit empty.

2. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Samurai Champloo is great as someone already mentioned but the greatest Samurai Show is Rirouni Kenshin. The prequel to the show is Samurai X Truest and Betrayal which is a top 3 Anime movie of all time on most lists. I would actually recommend watching Kenshin before Samurai X because it is amazing to see the stark contrast between Kenshin and Battousai ("The man-slayer" his assassin name) since he was the greatest killer and assassin of the mehji era in japan. The movie is ridiculously GORY and sad but its really worth a watch.

I absolutely hate AMVs but I saw this like 10 yrs ago before I saw Samurai X and had only seen Rirouni Kenshin. Needless to say, I was surprised. :eek:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zP3_IEjZNJE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  3. Beezy

Beezy Member

Anybody seen the new trilogy of Berserk movies? Apparently the third one is described as one of the most violent movies ever.

4. Beezy

Beezy Member

Doh, didn't see the posts on the previous page. I wish they'd just make a new series that covered some of the other manga material.

5. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Thanks atheist and chickenbrothers (polloshermanos I think thats what it translates to). Repped

I've added Emma, claymore, Kare kano, lovely complex, ef, Kenshin, and Samurai X. These should hold me until dead island and gtaV comes out. Haha

6. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Great choices, let us know what you think after you've seen them.

7. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

I just remember the anime was pretty ****ed up when I saw it years ago. I'll definitely have to check out the movies since the anime only covered 1 arc of the manga.

8. Beezy

Beezy Member

The movies cover the same arc as the series but I hear that some missing elements like the Skull Knight are included. The eclipse scene is supposed to be extra fubar in the 3rd movie.

9. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

So that's why today was such an unproductive day - my office overlooks Smith street and convention goers were decked out in Anime gear downtown all day.

10. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

11. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Hentai heyyy!

12. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

I'm trying to imagine what extra fubar would be in this context. It was pretty bad in first tv series already.

I love the Kenshin OVAs (liked Reflection too, even though it wasn't as good as Trust and Betrayal) but never got all that into the original show. Watched about 20 episodes and never got back to it. But I also understand it changes pretty significantly in tone about halfway through. I may eventually pick it up again and give it another shot. I've got all the DVDs.

You hate AMVs, huh? I LOVE them! I've currently got over 350 saved on my computer.

First, I need to plug AnimeMusicVideos.org, which is by the far the best place to find great videos. Videos are free to download, but if you do an optional donation you get more robust search options.

Since you posted a Kenshin video, I'll post my two favorite Kenshin vids:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3xZ5iaIfpDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TQ7dKpWTYXY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh, and here's my favorite AMV ever, I may have posted it before, don't remember:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/53Sep09W2i0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finally, if anyone here would like to see some great AMVs from a specific anime, I'd be happy to post them. Just ask. In alpha order, I've got vids for the following anime: 5 Centimeters Per Second, Akira, Arjuna, Azumanga Daioh, Bakemonogatari, Berserk, Beyond the Clouds, Black Butler, Black Lagoon, Bleach, Bokura Ga Ita, Canaan, Casshern Sins, Cat **** One, Children Who Chase Lost Voices, Child's Toy, Clannad, Claymore, Code Geass, Comedy (Sweat Punch 3), Cowboy Bebop, Darker Than Black, Death Note, Dennou Coil, Descendants of Darkness, Durarara, Eden of the East, ef - A Tale of Memories, Elfen Lied, Ergo Proxy, Euerka 7, Fate/Stay Night, Fighting Spirit, Final Fantasy, Fist of the North Star, Fruits Basket, Fullmetal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic, Ga-Rei Zero, Genius Party Beyond, Ghost in the Shell, Girl Who Leapt Throught Time, Ghibli movies, Golden Boy, Grave of the Fireflies, Gravitation, Great Teacher Onizuka, Gunslinger Girl, Hayate the Combat Butler, Heaven's Lost Property, Hellsing (reg. and Ultimate), High School of the Dead, Howl's Moving Castle, Inu Yasha, Kara no Kyoukai, KARAS, Kare Kano, Kimi no Todoke, Kodomo no Jikan, Last Exile, Loveless, Lovely Complex, Lucky Star, Macross, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Metropolis, Midori Days, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed, Monster, Mushi-Shi, Nana, Natsume's Book of Friends, Nenon Genesis Evangelion, Nichijou, Ninja Scroll, Noir, Origin - Spirits of the Past, Ouran High School Host Club, Paprika, Paranoia Agent, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, Project Blue Earth SOS, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, RahXephon, Romeo x Juliet, Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo, Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, Serial Experiments Lain, Shikabane Hime, Sola, Soul Eater, Spice and Wolf, Steamboy, Summer Wars, Sword of the Stranger, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Texhnolyze, True Tears, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Welcome to the NHK, Whisper of the Heart, Wolf's Rain, X/1999, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Zero no Ai, and lots of vids with multiple anime sources.

Whew. I feel like I need a cigarette after typing all that.

13. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Dude, atheist. Emma is AMAZING. I love The setting and time period. I'm On episode 10 before Internet went to shiiiit. Don't see how anyone would think it moves too slow. I have to say, when it's all said and done, this anime may leap into my top 5. I guess that romance stuff just gets me.

14. AtheistPreacher

You're welcome. :grin:

The pity is that it was never dubbed in English and likely never will be. Even for people not usually into dubs, the fact that it's set in friggin' Victorian England means that it would have made soooo much sense to invest in a good English dub. Maybe some fans will do a fandub at some point.

As for "slow-moving"... you're right, but there are people who think that anything without frequent comedy bits with distorted faces ala Ouran is slow, you know what I mean? It's just hard to tell when you're recommending these things where someone is coming from.

I wish there are other things I could recommend now that I know you like that one so well, but I really don't know of anything quite like Emma... it's in a class in its own as far as serious romances go. I have heard great things about Clannad for romance, but I haven't actually seen it. It's been high on my list of things I want to watch for quite a while.

EDIT: Oh, it occurred to me that one thing I could do was mention a few shows that have interesting historical settings outside the anime norm, since you mentioned that as something you liked: Gunslinger Girl and Baccanno! (the default video for Baccano! is broken, use one of the mirrors). I get the feeling you'd appreciate Gunslinger Girl in particular.

#194 AtheistPreacher, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  15. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

One of the anime series that just finished this season that really caught my attention was Psycho-Pass, best anime I've seen in a long time. Must watch imo if you're into the sci-fi/suspense genre.

16. AtheistPreacher

Huh, sounds interesting. I had never heard of it, but I'm adding it to my list of things to see.

From the description I read on ANN, it sounds like it has some similarities to the movie Minority Report.

17. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Really? I've seen gunslinger girl flipping through netflix, but never gave it a chance. Might have to give it a chance then.

18. AtheistPreacher

The more I think about it the more I think you'd probably like it. It looks like mostly action on the face of it, but it's really not action-focused at all.

The basic premise is that little girls, 10-14 years old are so, who have had bad accidents and are about to die, are given cybernetic augmentations, and then brainwashed and turned into assassins. Each of them is assigned a male "handler" who trains them and adjusts the level of their "conditioning." Some handlers use very little conditioning and treat their girl very lovingly, like a little sister, and others do high conditioning and treat their girl like a sentient toaster.

So what the show is really about is the relationships of the girls to their handlers, as well as their struggle to try to be somewhat "normal" little girls given their jobs and what has been done to them. The reason I think you'd like it is that you could almost describe it as an odd mix between Elfen Lied and something like Emma. Elfen Lied because of the abused-little-girls aspect, and Emma because the show really is about love and personal relationships... it's just not about romantic love, more like sibling-love or parent-child love.

Anyway, I'll shut up about it, I've probably been overzealous in my recommendation already. Either you'll like it or you won't. I only belabor it because it's in my own personal top 10.

19. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Minority Report would be a good comparison. The system in place measures a person's criminal potential instead of predicting the future though. The villain reminds me a lot of Vicious from Cowboy Bebop except eviler. :eek:

20. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

linkin park always feels so right with anime videos

:cool: