1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Angry at bill collector who harrassed my wife - what can I do?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by haven, Jan 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. haven

haven Member

My 8.5 months-pregnant wife received a call today from a debt collector from CitiFinancial. He, without saying so many words, informed her that her mother-in-law (my mom) had a debt. He then asked for the #. My wife offered the address, and also said she would pass on a message, but refused to give out the phone # - and honestly replied that she did not even know her mother-in-law's # (it's in my cell - I doubt we have it written anywhere). He became a little harassing.

She requested to be taken off the list, and informed him of two statutory provisions he was violating. You see, I'm an attorney - and my wife is in her 3rd year of law school - and is ironically taking a consumer rights class right now - so she could even cite the provisions he was violating.

He called her stupid and told her she didn't know what she was talking about. He kept on pestering her, and became very aggressive, essentially making up laws. He refused to give an address or a last name, but only an accounts-receivable address.

I'm very angry. I'm a baby lawyer (first year out of law school). I'm also a federal law clerk, so I have plenty of time to make CitiFinancial miserable, if it would actually result in anything.

To be honest, I'd really like this guy to be fired. My wife called me crying and upset. He didn't know she was 8.5 months pregnant - but that still makes me even angrier.

We're already going to report them to the appropriate federal commission. If I start a letter writing campaign, is there any chance I could see some tangible results in terms of discipline and getting these guys to leave my wife alone/

Incidentally, I have no idea if the debt is valid. My mother denies it, and she's generally fiscally responsible - but she recentlyl moved, and for all I know there's some random collection account that she's in denial about.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The guy is just trying to do his job. What if your mother really owes them money? If that's the case, you should be upset with her because she's the reason this is taking place.

3. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

If your mom has a debt that she doesn't recognize, it is possible that she is a victim of identity theft. Get a credit report done ASAP to make sure that other people are not using her identity.

4. haven

haven Member

Eh? He called my wife stupid, when she was (correctly) pointing out that he violated the law? You don't find that coercive, illegal, and abusive?

5. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

There is nothing you can do. Bill Collectors are all the same.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

He shouldn't have called her stupid. That's unfortunate. I just think it would be a waste of your time and effort to go on some kind of revenge campaign, especially when your wife probably needs your attention due to the fact that she's about to give birth. Perspective?

7. coma

coma Contributing Member

haven-

You can't exact revenge on every ******* you run into. Sure, you'd like to, but the you have better things to do with your life.

He's an *******, obviously has a sh!tty existence if that's his post in life and that rude, so brush it off your shoulders and go about your life.

8. haven

haven Member

Eh, we're not talking about 30 hours of work. I write a nasty letter during my lunch hour, point out certain statutory provisions, note that I work for myself for free, and sign it "esquire." Maybe I call a good friend of mine at an elite law firm and get him to write a letter, too.

If you have any experience with this, do you think some flashy letterhead and the thread of a furious lawyer with time on his hand with a potentially troubling law suit could at least frighten them a little?

I'm not angry about anything related to my mother. Either there's a misunderstanding, which she needs to correct, or there's a debt. I'm angry that these people tried to pull a fast one over someone - and when it turned out she was educated on the issue - they turned abusive.

If I can spend an hour or two of my time and get the guy canned and maybe make a couple of his coworkers think before speaking next time - it's a good deal for me.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

haven,

If it will make you feel better, write him a nasty letter. But you should sleep on it first and see how you feel in the morning. Just remember that your life is probably 10 times better than his - isn't that enough?

10. Fatty FatBastard

Let it go, bro. Let it go.

Tell your wife in the future just to hang up on them.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You you guys have caller ID? I don't even answer then phone unless I know who it is.

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

get him fired. no one has a reason to ever call a customer stupid, or abuse them in any way... he was probably taking his anger out on your wife, now you should respond by taking your anger out on him, and his boss, and the damn company... go get em...

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm the same way. I'd say I only answer about 1 out of every 10 calls at my house.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why didn't she just hang up?

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Haven, go for it. This guy works for a company and I'm sure that their policy is not to call people stupid and harrass them in this manner. It's obvious that it won't take much time out of your life to get this done, I say do it.

I'm the same way too about Caller ID, but it seems like more and more calls are coming in unknown these days. Hell, my little cousin is always bugging the hell out of us trying to get my sister to come over and babysit her and when she realized we were screening her calls, she somehow set her cell phone to register unknown. She's 11 btw, and since she's the last, my uncle and aunt baby her quite a bit.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Man, I remember you didn't even answer when I was in jail... no wonder I stopped being your friend... :(

17. haven

haven Member

Just not in her character. My wife sort of treats life like a game of chess. She wants to win, but she likes playing by the rules. Also, if my mother really did owe a debt, my wife is the type that would be completely on the debt collector's side. Because of that, she really didn't mind at first.

The second the debt collector violated the law, my wife's chess-player/soon-to-be-lawyer instincts went off. She became very angry, very confident, and quite determined to inform this law-violating debt-colector of the error of his ways.

Normally, I think that she would have been angry rather than upset. Pregnancy, however, has been playing havoc with her hormones. Unfortunately, my job has forced me to be about 240 miles away - so I wasn't there to take care of it.

DaDakota: I respect your opinions generally - is there anything I can do with a casual letter or two to effect any changes?

18. Fatty FatBastard

Let it go, bro. NOTHING you do will do anything. Or did she magically get a last name at the end?

She chose to fight the chess match. Tell her that in her hormonal state, she be better advised to hang up on the clowns for the time being.

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Don't they keep a log of who makes what calls? I imagine your mother's case is assigned to this guy or he's on a team of people who are assigned to it.

20. haven

haven Member

Well, we've got (a) the first name, (b) the #, (c) the precise time he called, (d) the account #.

I figure they could probably determine the identity of the caller, if they so chose. I expect, however, that they'll choose to play ignorant.

I think that what they really want is for us to pay the bill. My wife's a teacher, and her only real asset is her house. We've got excellent credit and some disposable income; one thing I'm afraid of is that they're going to hope that by harassing us, eventually we'll just pay up.