1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ANDREW WIGGINS (Once in a Generation)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by 713, Jul 6, 2012.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Isn't that crazy? He's considered the best high school player in the nation, regardless of age, and he's only a junior. Crazy.

2. 713

713 Member

I believe he's the same age as Jabari Parker who is the #1 2014 class prospect if Wiggins doesn't reclassify to Parker's class.

3. Raven

Raven Member

He'll reclassify, and you can take that to the bank. No pun intended. That means the Rockets need to stink it up for two seasons, to try for Noel next Summer and Wiggins the Summer after that.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Cody Zeller > Nerlens Noel

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Bingo.

Zeller next season. Wiggins in 14.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That would take one hell of a stroke of luck....

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's not uncommon, in fact I would say that it happens every 3 years or so. You're just talking about two classes worth of kids. A few years back, the senior class consisted of guys like Irving, Brandon Knight, and Harrison Barnes. Rivals that year ended up putting Josh Selby as #1 overall in the senior class, but when it came time to rank ALL high school players they put junior Michael Gilchrist at #1 over everybody. Gilchrist at the time was teammates with Irving at a NJ prep school, and I think they got disqualified to defend their state title that year for some academic violation reason. Anyways, I remember the story because they did an interview with both Irving and Gilchrist where they used to joke that Gilchrist would school Irving 1 on 1 every time (which he probably should be able to do still now, I mean 6'6 on 6'2 ain't fair and Irving was still improving drastically and in the middle of what would would become one of the most dramatic climbs up the high school rankings since, well, T-Mac honestly). Incidentally, Gilchrist would stay highly regarded and commit to Kentucky, but as happens commonly in high school basketball recruiting nowadays, people prefer the shiny new toys, and if you aren't going forward then you're going backward. The next summer Austin Rivers had a nasty streak on the AAU circuit and passed Gilchrist up. Then Unibrow went and grew 7 inches his senior year so Gilchrist was behind him too. But for the better part of his junior year, he was actually the #1 overall prospect in the country.

Just an interesting high school recruiting factoid for ya'll. I don't follow it nearly as closely as I used to, mostly because I am officially a yuppie now working yuppie hours.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think high school scouting by NBA teams only dooms both parties involved- even though players can't jump from high school. Think of all the struggling college superstars (Fredette, Reddick)- now imagine how much bigger the jump is from high school to the NBA? This kid looks good, a physical freak- but I'd like to wait until college to see how he pans out.

1 person likes this.
  9. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

What??! A reasoned, intelligent post in the draft section? Repped.

10. Raven

Raven Member

Some team is going to get lucky. Might as well be us for a change.

11. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Magic lost Dwight, they will get the number 1 this year or next year. Which ever they chose.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Another conspiracy theorist....right on queue...:rolleyes:

13. 713

713 Member

So it begins...

John Calipari Paid a Visit to Andrew Wiggins

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2012/10/5/3461142/john-calipari-paid-a-visit-to-andrew-wiggins

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Interesting fact:

Jabari Parker, in the 2013 class, is about 3 weeks younger than Andrew Wiggins.

15. 713

713 Member

16. Progs

Progs Member

I see your enthusiam but I think If Houston will tank it will be in 2013 and not 2014 where I just don't see them being that bad... Specially if you have Asik,Lin,and Parsons with a 2nd year Terence Jones and Jeremy Lamb and then you add the possibility of having 2 top 10 picks in the 2013 nba draft Houston can problaby make the playoffs in 2014. But Wiggins definately is the Real Deal as far as a top prospect...

17. Progs

Progs Member

Andrew Wiggins is a superb prospect but he is a senior as far as age goes and as a prospect... It would be shock if he doesn't reclassify to the class of 2013...

18. alethios

alethios Member

Makes me sick thinking UK will probably win another NCAA championship this season. I watched the ESPN show about the 2012/2013 Wildcats and ohh man, are they stacked on talent. They've already got 3 players in the top 20 of the 2013 draft board.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...s-2013-nba-mock-draft-whos-the-next-no-1-pick

But on the flip side, we've been reaping some of the benefits of Calipari's program with PPat and TJones.

19. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Shabazz and Noel would be sweet!

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yeah I'm a diehard Kansas Jayhawk fan, so it sucks. But can't hate on them. Callipari gets players to the NBA as fast as possible.