1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andrew Bynum

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, May 5, 2009.

1. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

He's a pretty good player, don't judge him on what he does against the Rockets. He needs to get healthy though, It's really not his fault that he gets injured. Most of his injuries look like freak accidents.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We can't overlook him at all. He got 5-10 for 10 points in 15 minutes despite being in foul trouble. He isn't a complete player by any means,needing to get better especially on the defensive end but he is young and can develop into a solid young player.

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I think he's probably a lot like Kamen... pretty good against smaller or less mobile centers, average or less against skilled people of similar or bigger size.

4. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

He is a better player than Oden. I can tell you that.

His post moves is light year ahead of that 40 years papa and his 17 footer jumper is not bad at all.

5. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

lol, dwight howard's go to move - even now - is the put back dunk. his running hook? if you count that bynum's in pretty good shape with the post moves he already got.

imho, when both will be about 25 - 26 years old (and if they stay healthy) bynum will be a much more well rounded player. he's already more skilled as an offensive player. what still remains to be seen, though, is if bynum will ever be a great defensive presence like howard or even yao.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Not that impressed either, though you can't deny he's an effective role player. And screw Oden, he pushed Yao after the whistle and that's enough to give him punk loser status like bill walker and matt barnes.

I'm just spoiled growing up watching Shaq dominate. The pinnacle of the brute force center and he made the simple drop step look flawless. No center who aspires to be that type has that footwork yet.

Not to mention seeing both the Yao and Dream in their prime, Drob, Kemp, Ewing, Deke :( to boot. Premier centers are hard to find, but the 90s spoiled me. And its hard to believe that Oden or Bynum will develop into anything like them.

7. TheDreamShake

TheDreamShake Member

Bynum=Cato

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Anyone can be overrated, even LeBron (he isn't at the moment). It's all relative.

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Bynum's problems are: foul trouble and injury. If he finds a way to stay out of both, he will be a 20/10 player very soon.

Bynum is more talented offensively than D Howard. Bynum is more agile. Bynum can be better than Howard if he loves basketball and wants it.

10. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Very true. It seems like had a bad year but when you at the stats, he's putting up some real impressive numbers in a short injury riddled season. 14 points a game when he plays with the Ballhog Kobe and a scorer like Pau is really impressive for the kid.

Bynum's going to be good. Just lose that foul proneness and injury bug and he'll become a legendary Center.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He has the talent but not the work ethic.

12. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Hey Clutch.

You know, I told that to one of my friends whose a diehard Laker. He told me he used to be a fat kid and now he's all yoked up. I gotta admit he really worked on his body.

Bynum out of High School
    [​IMG]

Bynum now:
    [​IMG]

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I don't know why people are hating on him so much. Has everyone forget he just came back not too long ago from a serious knee injury? I actually think he's been pretty impressive.

And he is way better than Oden right now.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No way bynum will ever be as good as dhoward. If he was that good he would have been picked higher.

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I wish people would stop relating how good a player is to his draft position.

16. napalm

napalm Contributing Member

I think Bynum is an excellent young player. The guy is coming off of two big injuries in consecutive seasons, which might explain his tentativeness/ineffectiveness. He still has a lot of time to achieve his full potential. I think he will eventually become an all-star level player.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Despite having a good game 7, he wasn't very good this series, and they will be paying him 13 million. Would you rather have bynum or odom because that will be the decision next season.

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Strangely, I can't see the Lakers get any better right now, if they let Odom go. Even though, he's inconsistent...he makes them go when they win with his versatility. His style can cause a matchup problems for most teams who do not have a deep bench or long athletic wings. He's part of the reason why they win so many games outside of Kobe and Gasol. More times than not, LO is a spark plug off that bench and can be a nightmare against unathletic teams (like us) or undersized teams (like Suns before Shaq).

I think losing Bynum is very unlikely, but actually it would be a move they could recover from (maybe moreso than losing Odom). Bynum is a good, young player, but I don't think he'll be the next Dwight Howard or even...Yao Ming. I see him being more in the class of a Bogut, Lopez, or Kaman type player. You could replace Andrew with one of those two players, and the Lakers wouldn't see any kind of drop-off. Possibly, they could get better as those three are little more level-headed and effort worthy than Bynum. Lastly, the Jazz (in game 3) and the Rockets (entire series) have somewhat exposed the Lakers defensively. You have decent chance at beating them, if you are an aggressive offensive team who can get to basket. Brooks, Scola, and others got to basket at will, and were mostly deterred by collapsing defenses and double teams under the basket (which still didn't work at times). While, an injured Yao, if not fronted, scored at will.

I think if the Lakers lose Odom and don't really make significant changes on the bench or at point guard, next year. I think that be slightly more easier to beat.

19. lalala902102001

Bynum is still very young. You can not judge him just yet. He does have very good foot work on offense, which is a rarity for young bigs these days.

He does appear to be a guy who needs someone constantly pushing him, which is not a good thing. He also appears to be injury-prone just like Greg Oden, which at his age is a very bad thing.

20. mazyar

mazyar Member

I think his ceiling is at 18 pts. 11 rbs 2 blk per game average. While only averaging 30 minutes per game. He is too foul prone and injury prone to be reliable to be the main guy on a team.