1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andrei Kirilenko

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketFan85, Dec 7, 2002.

1. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Man I realy like watching him play. He can do it all, shot, dunk, dribble, defense, block, steal, rebound you name it. And he is only 21. He has to be the best role player in the league and should win the 6th man, or does he start? Anyway he is a star in the making and is a blast to watch. If only the Rockets could get him to play our 3 spot.

2. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

What are you doing watching the Jazz? Being a rockets fan, i have no clue how good this guy is, nor do i care.

3. dn1282

dn1282 Member

So you're a rockets fan but not a basketball fan? WTF? That's like being an nsync or backstreetboys fan. You like them for some bizarre reason and not because you like music (I'm not saying they can sing either, mind you, but you get my point).

saying you're exclusively a rockets fan and you don't care about other teams or players that aren't on the rockets is really stupid.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He will always be a good role player, never a star. Which, in a way, is what teams need. He has a solid game.

5. AMS_blackwidow

good one,. and i was hopin the rox could get him off the jazz for EG,. but EG was beastin it last year so i never voiced my opinions

6. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I would get bash if I said this on the Rocket board, but I would trade EG for Kirilenko. The Rockets need more foreign players on there team. They play smarter and better team ball than Americans.

7. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

no way Jazz will accept this trade. Kirilenko is the future of Jazz.

8. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

They may not trade Andrei Kirilenko for Eddie Griifin but I am pretty sure they would do this trade. I have to think about this trade before I would do it, but I like Kirilenko so I would most likly do it.

Houston trades: C Kelvin Cato (5.9 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 0.4 apg in 20.8 minutes)
    PF Eddie Griffin (8.1 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 0.9 apg in 24.4 minutes)
    Houston receives: C Greg Ostertag (5.5 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 0.7 apg in 21.5 minutes)
    SF Andrei Kirilenko (12.4 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.9 apg in 26.1 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +3.9 ppg, -2.4 rpg, and +1.3 apg.

Utah trades: C Greg Ostertag (5.5 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 0.7 apg in 21.5 minutes)
    SF Andrei Kirilenko (12.4 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.9 apg in 26.1 minutes)
    Utah receives: C Kelvin Cato (5.9 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 0.4 apg in 12 games)
    PF Eddie Griffin (8.1 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 0.9 apg in 17 games)
    Change in team outlook: -3.9 ppg, +2.4 rpg, and -1.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Ostertag has one year left on his contract, Cato has 3. We could even through in Jason Collier since they seem to have a thing for white guys.

9. drapg

drapg Member

this generalization is just as bad as the "why do we need more asians" thread.

10. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I get so tired of hearing this! Of the 67 foreign-born players, how many can truly be considered stars? How many can say that they have done more than put up awesome numbers on terrible teams?

I counted 9...(And I even counted borderline-type players like Divac, Fox, Gasol, and Hedo...not to mention the US Virgin Islands-born Tim Duncan)

Surely the percentage would resemble that of the entire NBA/American-born players.

At least let Nachbar, Ginobilli, Nickoloz, Kwame, Curry, and Chandler play some before you make the assumption that Foreigners player a better brand of ball.

Also, unless Andrei has the amazing upside that Eddie has, why trade? From the sounds of it, he is having a good season, while Eddie has started terribly. And Kirilenko is still only getting a few more baskets per game.

#10 vj23k, Dec 7, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2002
  11. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I did not say they are all better, if that is how is sounded I am sorry. What I meant was that I think they play better, and of corse not all of them just some of them. I like there style of basketball, they play with so much basketball IQ. I also not saying all americans are bad or stupid.

12. AMS_blackwidow

umm KG, Kobe, Shaq, AI, Kidd, Francis, hmm Paul pierce, and the list goes on and on

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Maybe the foreign born players can read better than the Americans as well....

He's not saying that they (foreign born players) have more star players than America produces, but that they play better team basketball.

I believe it to a degree - how else did the US fail to win the recent world championships? You're not gonig to tell me that there was a single team out there with better individual skills than the 'dream' team possesses; yet the Americans didn't rate a mention when all was said and done.

[Of course, arguing from the other side of the fence, who has more basketball smarts than John Stockton?]

Maybe foreign players get coached to play team ball more strictly - but I still wouldn't trade EG for Kirrelenko....

14. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i think the American players have more individual players and the foreign play more of a team game,overal i mean not all.but you do get the overal impression. in europe there aren't as many iso's ore one on one plays,more of team bal,also becaus you can play zone here and you need a team orrientated offense to beat a zone.But i think most of american players have better skills.Because people in america grew up playing basketbal,and being one of the biggest sports in america.In europe Soccer is the biggest sport, every boy plays soccer here.
    i would not trade griffin for kirilenko.