1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andrea Yates verdict ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DAROckets, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How do you know I have zero experience? You don't think I love my neices and nephews more than anything in this world? You don't think that I've rushed to be with my sisters and sister in-law whenever they went into labor? You don't think I've spent hours upon loving hours playing with them, being positive influences in their lives?

My parents have four kids, neither one of them think Yates should receive the death penalty. Maybe you need to have three more before you can really have an opinion on the matter Dakota.

Why don't you go spend some more time with your kid instead of being on this board so ****ing much super Dad!!

Also, do you believe that rape is wrong? Well, you don't have a vagina, so I guess you can't have an opinion on it.

2. Elvis Costello

Point well taken, DaDakota. I am sure I don't have the full connection from that perspective with this that you. I do, however, have a mother who suffers from severe mental illness. There are so many complex issues with this situation...people can appear in control of themselves and not be. That is why I am little more attuned with this issue than I might otherwise be.

I just heard a good analogy on CNN about why mental illness is not something to be dismissed out of hand. (I think a city councilman from Houston said this). If a man has a stroke while he is driving and it swirves across the road and kills five people in a car he would not be prosecuted, much less convicted. I think people underestimate mental illness. Someone who is as psychotic and schitzophrenic to the level that Yates was does not have control over themselves anymore than someone can keep themselves from having a stroke once it starts. I think tragedies like this could be prevented if there was a greater understanding and treatment for the mentally ill. Does this make the crime any less horrific? No. I just don't see how murdering this woman would do anybody any good.

3. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

So then, I take it, after YOU gave birth to YOUR children, YOU experienced a crippling bout of post-partum depression and are therefore qualified to judge the severity of everyone else's mental problems?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey RM95,

I said you can have an opinion about it, no problemo big boy !!

My point is that being a parent completely changes your perspective.

Being a positive influence is great for you, I am glad that you are involved.

RM, seriously, once you have kids you will completely understand what I am saying.

Having a kid...YOUR OWN KID, which you are completely responsible for is a life altering experience, and no amount of babysitting, or reading about others experiences with it will give you a real understanding.

As for being on the board, since I own the company, and can do what I want...PISS OFF !!!

Maybe I should call your boss and tell him to see how much of his money you are stealing by being on here all the time....oh wait a minute...Shanna is your boss.....never mind.

:)

DaDakota

PS. Remember boys and girls, you can have an opinion about everything, even if you don't have a vagina like RM95.

5. DaDakota

Mrs JB,

No, I have never said I understand post partum depression. I do have experience dealing with it, but don't actually have any experience with it per se.

That being said, that does NOT excuse her from killing her kids. RESPONSIBILITY PEOPLE !!!!!

She did the crime, she must pay the price.

Insanity, post partum...yadda...yadda...yadda....none of it makes a difference, there are 5 DEAD INNOCENT children, and there is no mistake...she did it.

She deserves to die....and quickly.....

DaDakota

PS. Mrs JB, have you given birth? Do you have experience with Post Partum depression, it would be interesting to hear about it.

#45 DaDakota, Mar 13, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2002
  6. Major

Major Member

If you have kids one day, you will understand what I am saying.

She killed HER kids.....her KIDS !!!!!!

It seems to me your extra experience is simply leading you to make an emotional judgement rather than one simply based on the law and right or wrong. Everyone here already knows what she did was wrong and that what she did was gruesome and horrible and blah blah blah. Sometimes being too emotionally close to a situation, instead of enhancing your perspective, distorts it.

Maybe if you were mentally unstable or knew people who had mental problems, it might change *your* perspective.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, do you think you'll completely change your mind when you have three more kids? I mean, my parents have been parents much longer than you, and they don't believe that Yates should receive the death penalty...and they're pro-capital punishment.

I understand that having my own kids will be much more significant in my life than the already huge impact that my nieces and nephews have already made. I'd want to kill someone if they did that to my kids as well...but I wouldn't. There's a big difference. I believe that killing people is wrong, almost regardless of the context (self-defense and war being two where I understand the taking of another life). Whether it's Andrea Yates killing her five children, or it's the executioner down in Huntsville, I think it's wrong.

God, I hope your kid doesn't get your hilarious wit. :rolleyes:

8. Major

Major Member

She did the crime, she must pay the price.

Nice catch phrase or whatever, but no one's arguing this. What people are talking about is what the price should be.

9. DaDakota

Major,

Of course my emotions are driving my opinion on this matter, did you read the court transcript above?

Everyone is entitled to their OPINIONS about this matter, and if the law gives her some protection, then the law should be changed.

By the way a jury of her peers found her competent and guilty, so I guess that in itself validates MY opinion.

I guess the only difference in my opinion would be how quickly we can get her to the chair.

RM95,

You bet, every kid I have will alter my experience, though I can't really comment on what having 3 kids does, as I don't really know.

All I do know is that 5 INNOCENT CHILDREN were drowned one by one, and she did it. I don't think it gets any clearer then that.

Sounds like a clear case for the use of the death penalty to me.

DaDakota

PS. You 2 better not be billing some poor sap for their time while you argue here on the BBS, wouldn't that be unethical?

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You don't think that I, my parents, or anyone else who doesn't think that Yates should get the death penalty don't understand that five innocent kids were killed? You repeating it ad nauseum isn't going to make us know that any more.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Who in the hell would we be billing...do you even know what the hell we do?

12. DaDakota

Well judging by the back and forth with me on this thread, I would say ...VERY LITTLE?

Actually,

I thought you guys were attorneys. I guess I am wrong...my apologies.

If you two don't agree with the death penalty, fine. I do, and I think this is prime example of when it should be utilized.

Just my OPINION, of course.

DaDakota

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And you're entitled to that opinion, but don't tell me that mine's less valid because I don't have children yet.

14. Major

Major Member

You don't think that I, my parents, or anyone else who doesn't think that Yates should get the death penalty don't understand that five innocent kids were killed? You repeating it ad nauseum isn't going to make us know that any more.

If you repeat it over and over, it becomes more gruesome.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, you're right, I'm about five more DaDakota 5 INNOCENT CHILDREN WERE KILLED, 5 INNOCENT CHILDREN WERE KILLED's from supporting the death penalty again. :rolleyes:

16. DaDakota

Well then maybe you softies would come around to the proper way of thinking.

I find it incomprehensible that some people would not want the death penalty especially in this case. I also think that IF YOU HAD KIDS, you would be more inclined to be in favor of the death penalty, in this instance.

Whatever we think really doesn't matter, it is what the jury and the judge decide. I believe in the system, so will go with what they think.

As to what I think....do I need to repeat myself...yet again?

DaDakota

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

To me, it's incomprehensible to kill regardless.

18. DaDakota

Edited.....because of misread post.

Responsibility for one's actions is all I am saying.

DD

#58 DaDakota, Mar 13, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2002
  19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

There's more than one way to be responsible for your actions.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hmmm....Texas has been leading the nation in executions for how long now?

For all who say she shouldn't be fried, where was your mercy then? Where is it now, since I'm sure you are aware that our state is still going to be among the leaders in executions whether she fries or not.