1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Ward is a superstar

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by what, Sep 9, 2012.

1. what

what Member

This guy is getting better and better. And other than maybe Floyd Mayweather us the best American fighter in any division in boxing. But does anybody care, is anybody watching what this guy is doing?

Abraham - check
    Kessler - check
    Foch - check
    Dawson - check

Who's next?

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

He is not a superstar. Pacquiao/Mayweather are the only superstars in boxing right now. Nobody outside of Oakland or boxing purist cares about Ward.

I'll give it to him, the fight wasn't as boring as I thought it'd be. It was still an ugly matchup, lots of holding, clash of heads, lack of fluidity in the match. But Ward did go in there and beat him up. He went for the kill after he hurt him. That I did like seeing from him.

But from a boxing standpoint, he just doesn't have a fan friendly enough style to propel him to Superstar level. Most his fights, are not exciting. And that plays a big role whether you can be a star or not. Doesn't matter how good of a boxer you are, if you can't entertain the fans who pay, you wont be a star. If you are not fun to watch in the ring, well you better have a compelling personality outside the ring like Floyd does.

To me, a superstar can sell out arenas and draw a million buys on PPV. Ward does neither....yet. If he can keep stacking up good wins, then it may be possible. Would like to see him fight GGG. Now that guy, is fun to watch.

3. 713

713 Member

boxing is dead... find another sport bruh.

1 person likes this.
  4. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

boxing is dead... find another sport brew.

1 person likes this.
  5. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Boxing isntt dead

that was a master class of BOXING... not slugging

Andre Ward is the next american superstar

no weaknesses, except suspect power

6. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Thats what boxing was in the 50's and 60's... thats boxing, learn about the sport

Tyson and Marciano changed the sport to be all about the KO, but thats not what being a boxer is all about. 'HIT AND NOT GET HIT"

I have Ward as the clear cut number 2 P4P boxer in the world. Had he gone up to 175 and took Dawsons belt( no catchweight)... like Mayweather did with Cotto at 154,he would be clear cut #1 P4P

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lol you boxing purist think just because I'm not entertained by one punch then hold, dancing and running around, not taking chances aka Amateur style boxing, that I don't know the sport. You call it boxing, I call it boring. Sure it's the sweet science, but at the end of the day, it's still a fight. People want to see a fight.

Its not all about the KO. You can have a classic boxing match without the ugliness and a stalemate of a Dawson fight and without slugging as well. I can sit here and list fights all day. But how many Fights of the Year has Dawson or Ward been apart of?

I'm not taking anything away from Ward. He's a great boxer. His resume speaks for itself. I just don't care to watch him in the ring. Nor do i care about some inaginary list that is pointless in boxing. 'HIT AND NOT BE HIT" isn't what being a boxer is all about either. At least not on the professional level.

Now don't take it personal. You boxing purist twats always seem to take it there when I call the guys you cream over, BORING. Many people didn't like watch Van Gundy ball either. Do they know nothing about the sport as well? It's just personal preference.

When I watch boxing, I prefer to be entertained. If I wanted to watch two guys hug the whole match and throw a jab here and there, i'd watch MMA. And to be a star in this sport, you have to bring more than a 0 on your record. Your performances should be able to put asses in seats, and eyeballs glued to tv screens.

The best fight on Saturday was actually the Matteysse vs Ajose fight on Showtime. Now that was fun.

8. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

That was a mismatch

Also if you wanna see slugfest, go and watch MMA

Boxing was here and will always be here

9. VanityHalfBlack

SkyrimOwnsAll got K.O'ed by AroundTheWorld in his own thread....

10. VanityHalfBlack

713 keeps coming with the hits... Rep++++

11. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Have you seen how bad the PPV buys have in MMA recently lol

meanwhile Forbes list the 2 highest piad athletes in WORLD as boxers

keep listening to Dana "hype" White

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lol don't take the troll bait. These MMA douchebags have been saying boxing is dead for how long? Yea keep dreaming. I mean, it's so damn sad these douches keep hoping a sport dies so they can prop up their own little niche sport.

Stick to your affliction and tap out shirts you tools. Who knows, maybe if you pray hard enough, boxing will die. But not before yall die from an overdose of douchebaggery.

13. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Its sad man...

I love both sports, but im more attached to boxing. And MMA Fans are saying that Boxing cant get a superfight between Mayweather and Pacquiao... but MMA cant even get Anderson Silva vs. GSP or Anderson Silva vs. Jon Jones.

Lets just enjoy both sports, without saying which is better

14. esteban

esteban Member

Did you guys know that Ward never lost a match in his entire fight career amateur or professional? Correct me if I'm wrong but he also has never been knocked down. That knowledge is just amazing, I don't think boxers in any era or weight class can claim that.

Vitaly Klitschko comes the closest. In the 2 losses that he suffered, he was ahead on the scorecards. He has never been knocked down in his entire career as well.

The doctor stopped the fight too prematurely last Saturday, I want Charr to have the opportunity to keep fighting Vitaly.

I'm very impressed with Ward. I'm not impressed with Oakland, so many thugs in that city.

15. esteban

esteban Member

The K brothers and the entire Euro continent disagree with you bruh.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Floyd Mayweather has very unfriendly boxing style. That is probably the reason he did the whole money mayweather thing. He is a really smart guy, and the one of if not the smartest boxer in the ring.

17. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Air Langhi is SOMEBODY who gets it

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Extremely impressive showing - he's looked better in his recent fights than Pac/Mayweather.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Exactly. He sells himself very well outside the ring. Dont know if he'd be the cash cow he is today without the Money/Pretty Boy persona. But To be fair to Floyd, he put on a good show against Cotto. Stayed in the pocket, slipped punches and even stood in front of him and traded shots. Was also verey agressive against Ortiz as well. I hope we see more of this Mayweather.