1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't Andre Johnson want a chance to win? Denver's window is closed.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not so sure about that... they'll probably run the ball more effectively and often than anybody else next year.... possibly salvaging whatever Peyton has left in the tank.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Possibly sure, but Peyton is clearly either at the end or VERY close to it and he'll be losing at least one of his top end zone targets when Julius Thomas moves on and not that it matters but Wes Welker is likely to leave as well. They'll still be a competitive team and probably still make the playoffs, but I don't see them as a serious contender anymore unless Peyton has another sip of the fountain of youth. I just don't think he can deal with the wear and tear of a full season anymore.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

In the case of Moss and Megatron, yes; exactly. This is precisely what they routinely did/do. Bryant is cut more from the AJ mold - stronger and more precise than he is a flat-out burner.

Yeah... the most productive WR in the NFL for a seven-year stretch was misused....... Uh-huh...

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well that's where being an elite running team helps... eliminates some risk of wear/tear.

Also, who was Julius Thomas before Peyton Manning showed up? He could just as easily turn another unknown into something productive. Its also not like Kubiak has a terribly difficult offense for QB's to make reads on... a hybrid system b/t him and Peyton could make life a lot easier.

At the very least, if you see them making the playoffs, certainly anything can then happen for them to win it all... or for them to lose in spectacular fashion (as they did two years ago when they had a very strong team).

And Elway is totally buying into replicating the formula that won him two Super Bowls at the end of his career (i.e. - run the ball to death).

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you mission is here, but you might want to talk a walk around the block because you are starting to say things that make it difficult to take you serious.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Considering neither Moss nor Megatron has caught 30 TDs (or anything close) in one season, your post has been deemed, "hyperbole". And don't say they drew 30 PIs per game.

Call it "good route running", "being strong", or whatever.... Dre got separation downfield many times only to receive an underthrown ball.

#107 Houstunna, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What was he before Peyton? An NFL rookie....

Anyway I'll feel bad for Dre if he signs on with the Broncos, but it'll be his fault.

9. Remii

Remii Member

Do you think they have enough money for him...? They could move Sanders to the slot and have Thomson and AJ on the outside.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he doesn't end up on a team with an elite QB.

10. Hey Now!

This is actually fairly routine. Straight line speed on a track does not necessarily translate to the football field; he's not wearing pads, fighting off defenders... Again, I invite you or anyone else to post all the plays in which AJ outran a defense. I'm not talking about a killer play-action fake in which he runs free; I want to see 8-yard slants he turned into 60-yard touchdowns; I want to see 40-yard bombs in which he outran a defender or two. The pickings are slim.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

How is it possible to F up an appreciation thread? Oh my god you guys let moronic trolls like this:

destroy cool threads.

1 person likes this.
  12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

This sucks that's all I will say...

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

From 2008 until last year (and excluding his injury year in 2011) he was always top 10 in 20+ yard receptions, several times top 5 and once #1.

14. Hey Now!

Yeah, I thought that was pretty clear when I suggested he could score 30 TDs a *game*.

Many times, in this case, means 2 or 3 times a season - maybe. Kubiak's offense was not, by design, vertical. So not only is the idea he was constantly getting 5-yard separation false, it wasn't happening many times, either.

This narrative that the ridiculously prolific Andre Johnson would have been even *more* prolific "if only" is propped up on a foundation of flat-out erroneous suppositions. He was extremely good, and the vast majority of evidence points to the Texans wringing every drop of talent out of the guy.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Farewell [​IMG]

16. SuraGotMadHops

17. Hey Now!

If true, it covers the era of Kubiak's devastating play-action fake, which was a wildly effective weapon. I'd wager Schaub ranked similarly among QBs over the same stretch. It doesn't independently disprove my opinion here. Again, you and everyone else are invited to post all those 8-yard slants AJ turned into 20+-yard receptions......

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So basically he really was held back by Carr and Capers.

Not sure why YouTube videos are so important when the stats are there.

No Baltimore wr made top 10 in Kubiaks offense, btw

#118 Mr. Clutch, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

The only one that comes to mind was in 2007? against the Panthers in Carolina.

20. Hey Now!

What stats back this narrative that AJ was a misused, gamebreaking speed demon? I'm not arguing he wasn't a tremendous WR; just that he and the Texans seemed to competently maximize his talent where too many here are arguing he was underutilized.

And? Andre Johnson, 2006-2013, is an infinitely better receiver than the 2014 Smiths. Again, that doesn't disprove - or, really address at all my premise.