1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I was at the game where he went HAM on Finnegan.
    That guy put it on for this city. Hope he comes back and retires here.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we don't know what...and that's the problem. Hard to think he could have put up even more crazy numbers than he already did...but it's hard to think an "elite" Qb wouldn't have made things easier.

I do think him in Kubes' system was great because regardless of who was running it, that offense put up yards. The area of most wasted production was the the Carr years...i think some people just wrap up carr and schaub years for some reason.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This just exposes what NFL Houston football is all about a bunch bs. Go get a ring Andre or at least to a afc championship game or something.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What the hell does this mean?

So if they keep him at a $16 million cap hit, that is "good football"????

If anything, THAT would be BS "Houston football"... making dumb football decisions out of sentiment and past performances (just like extending Matt Schaub when they didn't have to, or extending Cushing coming off knee surgery).

5. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

While I am not sad, I am bummed :( :(
    Why Andre why???

6. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

I meant not surprised ^^
    I am most def sad

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Get it to him in the Endzone?

Rocket River

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Still one of my favorites...

[​IMG]

Couldn't ask for a better face of the Texans franchise than Andre Johnson. He was exactly what we want our professional athletes to be. Humble, hard working...and Hall of Fame level talented.

I really hope he doesn't go to the Colts and I kind of hope he doesn't go to Denver, either. For some reason, I'd actually be fine if he went to New England. Maybe there he'd get a 10+ td season. In any case, he's a Texan for life and I will always appreciate what he did for this franchise.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If the Texans can't win a Super Bowl, I want him to, and that goes for ANYWHERE he goes. Indianapolis, Dallas, New England, Seattle, doesn't matter to me. Andre deserves to win. Thanks for all of the spectacular memories, #80.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's an odd way of thinking given that Andre Johnson cost the Texans at least 2 games last year that had they won would have put them in the playoffs and before that his contract forced the team to make cuts that was part of the reason why they never made it further than they did. No one owes Andre Johnson anything.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What elite QB is throwing all those TDs to Calvin Johnson? Or Larry Fitzgerald? Randy Moss scored 90 TDs in 6 seasons (26 more than AJ in 60 fewer games) with the Vikings with Randall Cunningham, Jeff George and Duante Culpepper under center. Schaub in his prime was infinitely better than those three.

AJ was certainly hamstrung, somewhat, by a system that was more parallel than vertical (though he was never the vertical threat a lot of Texans fans portrayed him to be) and that favored the run over the pass inside the 10s.

But Andre Johnson caught 1,012 footballs as a Houston Texan and scored 64 times. I have a hard time pinning that exclusively on not having an elite QB. He has to shoulder some of that responibility.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Hope Dre gets his single season 10+ TD receptions.

Would GREATLY quicken his HOF election.

People will figure his only knock was actually the Texans wasting his prime... which is true.

#52 Houstunna, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why take a paycut for a franchise that is going nowhere?

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Those WRs had QBs with arms that allowed them to go over the top. I do agree though Dre's TD-production is his own fault too. He didn't have elite (or even above average) elusiveness after the catch. He didn't really "shake" defenders. That flaw keeps him a notch below Olajuwon/Watt level IMO.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol so you're going to put the texans not making the playoffs on Andre? of course you would

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

OK; none of them played in an offense with a devestating play-action fake that often sprung Johnson wide open downfield. And FYI, Carr could throw the ball a mile.

Fans have always miscast Andre Johnson. He was never a vertical, gamebreaking threat. He was, essentially, an uber-elite possession receiver - and that's not in any way a slight. In his prime, I'm not sure I'd want another WR lined up on 4th down; the guy caught *everything.* But he rarely turned the 8-yard slant into the 60-yard score.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he was the Andre of old they would have. Sure you can overlook him choking key games away and blame everything on the QB situation, surely some will, but it doesn't make it right.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah had nothing to do with Fitz being so bad he got benched or our horrific draft that contributed almost nothing

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even with all of that, we'd have made the playoffs if not for Andre Johnson choking hard at the end of games on multiple occasions. Can't blame the QB for fumbles and dropped passes that were thrown perfectly......well I'm sure some of you guys will find a way, but you shouldn't.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Men, you can blame just about anyone when the team is just outside of the playoffs.

Savage playing hurt for a whole game.

Fitz turning a 2nd and short at the goalline into third and long.

Fitz throwing an int inside our own 20 vs Pittsburgh.

Fitz fumbling on the last drive vs colts.

Fitz refusing to slide and breaking his leg