1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 2, 2015.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He was on a very likely HOF trajectory until the great dumpster fire of 2013.

Salary and coaching change did him in.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's going to be a tough HOF entrance. I think he's certainly a HOF level talent but the numbers aren't there to make it a slam dunk. He really needed a couple extra thousand yards to make a rock solid case.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What will really hurt him is that Larry Fitzgerald is still out there kicking ass and will likely pass him in yards this season and he absolutely dwarfs him in TD receptions. That'll just be yet another WR ahead of him when it comes time for HOF voting.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If only Dre had an elite qb to play with in his prime. Sadly we will say the same for Hop.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Dre's numbers were significantly better when he had a healthy Schaub

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If he cared about his own legacy he could have played for a serious contender at a minimum salary late in his career. He didn't care so it's hard for me to care about his legacy or HOF chances. That said I hope he makes it but it's not a slam dunk.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well he tried, but it was more important to him to play for Houston's rivals than it was to do anything else. Honestly his HOF chances would have been much better if he'd have just stayed here and taken the lesser role. They'd have blamed any of his decline on the QB's, instead he was still terrible with Andrew Luck and that kills his QB excuse.

9. Fantasma Negro

How long before he signs his one day contract so he can retire a Texan

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He was really good in 2013 (109/1,407). Did you mean 2014? Still productive (85/936) - but he needed... 2-4 more years of "still productive" and he was very obviously finished.

I just don't think he's viewed as uber-elite by the national writers; quiet guy on anonymously bad teams... Short of being top 5 across the board in all-time numbers (which he was never going to be with TDs), I always thought he was going to struggle to get in. Now, I think he's moved closer to long shot than sure thing.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Well he tried going to a contender last year. Colts had just went to afc title game and he finally got to play with a great qb (Luck) too bad for dre he was washed up when it finally happened.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I mean 2013, as in the year that got Kubiak fired.

Once Kubes was gone, so was Andre's role.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's less that he lost his role so much as they weren't going to keep force feeding him targets just to keep his numbers up. He had regressed to the point where he was a 3rd WR but they kept throwing at him 180 times a year to keep the numbers up. BOB wasn't going to do that. He played like a 3rd WR and he wanted to use him as a 3rd WR.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Sean Jones just said Andre is NOT a HOFer.

Not because of his numbers, but his talent.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

At least he didn't cause regular INTs like DeAndre Hokpins

16. Hey Now!

Ah; gotcha. I disagree; I think Andre was rapidly declining. Even during a still productive '14, all we knew he wasn't the same player and that Hopkins - drafted by Kubiak - was the better receiver. The passing of the torch was, by 2014, inevitable.

17. Hey Now!

I think he's clearly behind Moss, Owens and Megatron, in terms of retired players. Likely behind Wayne, too (who has a much higher profile). Heck, he's arguably behind Isaac Bruce, too; in fact, he essentially *IS* Isaac Bruce:
    Bruce: 1,024 rec.; 15,208 yds; 14.9 avg; 91 TDs
    Andre: 1,062 rec.; 14,185 yds; 13.4 avg; 70 TDs

Except, Bruce, like Torry Holt (who could conceivably rank ahead of him, as well), was very good on two Super Bowl teams. And while I think Andre is better, I guarantee you there are plenty of writers who would put Hines Ward in ahead of him (high-profile, productive player on a storied franchise).

In terms of peers still playing, he's clearly behind Fitzgerald. Steve Smith, too, I think. Is Welker active? Well, I think he's behind him, as well. Possibly Marshall if he remains productive. And he's closer to Boldin than you realize. And in five years, guys like Julio, Brown and Green are going to leaving him in the dust.

I think JJ will get in before Andre Johnson.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's pretty much the definition of a role change.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

This is good for the Titans because what I saw them doing was insert Andre near the goal line, and then throw the slant EVERY single time. It looked like Mariota was obligated to throw to Andre Johnson and it only worked like 30% of the time. This will help open up some options even if they are all TE's.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes in a sense, but it's not so much that BOB changed his role just to change it as it is BOB realized that he wasn't good enough for that role anymore....they just kept him in it anyway. He of course resented BOB for breaking the news to him that he was done as a #1 WR and that's why he threw the fit he did and that's why he went to the Colts and Titans afterwards.....but he only hurt himself by doing so.