1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 2, 2015.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Love dre, favorite player of all time! But I'm not as sold on the idea of him just being a TE at this stage of his career. I mean I think he could still come in and catch 50 passes and be a productive player but as a WR.

Either way Dre should be a Texan, if not I hope he can catch on somewhere else cause I don't think he wants to retire but his time is coming.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

What?? Is this really a thing?? I jokingly posted that he should put on a few lbs and play TE for us in a thread a last month.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, not really a thing, some people just want him back and there's no way he could crack the WR rotation so they are pushing the idea of him at TE. In reality, he probably just retires because he showed last year he was done.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think he can play TE. I mean, he's a better receiver than the scrub TEs we have, but I doubt he's a good enough blocker for a TE.

#444 Mr. Clutch, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  5. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I think he's worth signing over keeping Mumphrey.

I also think it's key to have a vet WR presence. All the receivers are young, and I think Dre could assume the role of being a 4th or 5th WR, and still be serviceable.

Last year, I believe Nate Washington was an important presence for Nuk, and I think Nuk would still benefit from having someone like Dre continue to mentor him.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL SMH, it's like you are allergic to being right when it comes to football.

7. Mr. Clutch

Shouldnt you be posting in a Ravens forum about how much upside Ryan Mallet has?

8. Mr. Clutch

He's not really worth signing as a wr. He got more receiving yards than all our TEs however.

I think Mumph has a chance to do some good things.

Strong is a bust though

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Weak trolling is weak. I know you are upset about your boy Hoyer getting cut but there's no reason to lash out. The team is better with him gone.

10. Mr. Clutch

Just to recap:

You spent all last season talking about how awesome Mallet is. I mean you actually got mad at Bill O'Brien for benching Mallet. You blamed the coaching staff for him having a bad attitude, being late and missing his plane.

Lol dude, you kept going on and on about how much upside he has, then he puts up 5.2 yards per pass attempt.

I'm not a fan of Hoyer, he was simply the best out of all the scrubs we had. I thought he could put up similar stats to Fitz which he did.

But you LOVED Mallet. He was gonna be the future right?

I'm looking forward to you posting about Mallet in Texans game threads again every time he completes a 5 yard pass for he Ravens.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was talking about how he was better than Hoyer, which he was/is. The decision to go back with Hoyer hurt the team so pretty much any fan should have been upset by it. Ultimately Mallett went on to help the Ravens beat the Steelers later on in the season and Hoyer fortunately got hurt for long enough for TJ Yates and Brandon Weeden to carry the Texans to the playoffs so that Hoyer could have one of the worst QB performances in NFL playoff history.

My posting about Mallett wasn't about me being a fan of Mallett, if you were more than a troll then you'd note how I was against trading for him to begin with, I just wanted the best of a bad situation. Once Mallett was out and Yates was in, I was for Yates because he was the best of a bad situation.

12. Mr. Clutch

Lol no one believes you don't have a Ryan Mallet shrine in your bedroom.

Give it up.

Can you at least commit to not bragging about Ryan Mallet's 5 yard passes in Texas game threads this year?

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I dont see any reason why he couldn't come in this year and be at worst a third option... I dont expect Miller or Fuller to really be huge contributors right off the bat so I think its smart to bring in a vet.

14. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Waste of a roster spot, he adds nothing to the team. He made his choice, he can live with it.

1 person likes this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Good teams don't waste roster spots. Those 2nd and 3rd strings are your Special Teamers and he can't do that.

16. Mr. Clutch

Which is why we should probably cut strong like we cut nix

17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Andre isn't going to have a role on this team, unless we hire him as an assistant coach. Which I think would be a great move for the young WRs on this team.

However, it sounds like he still wants to play and maybe someone gives him a look in training camp.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I disagree that he couldn't contribute at all but it would take a combination of circumstances.

1) team has to believe strong just doesn't have it
    2) Braxton Miller can play special teams year one but not much slot
    3) team doesn't want to count on shorts to be healthy
    4) mumph not very good

In that case I could see cutting shorts and using Andre as a backup wr but he would not get much playing time and I'm not sure it's worth having a franchise hero on the roster for that role where fans get upset he's not playing.

Jerry rice did this late in his career. However he had more reliable hands

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Ya'll are forgetting about what AJ even wants. He has repeatedly said he does not want to retire and wants to go to a team with a shot at a ring.

Texans will be better this year, but they are not a entering the season as a contender.

I'm not who will really give a real chance, but I could definitely see someone say like Carolina giving him a camp invite.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He has next to nothing left in the tank though, so if he wants to keep playing, he'll first have to find someone willing to use a roster spot on him and he'll have to find a team with a weak enough WR corps to where he could even make the team out of camp. Just last season he was the 4th receiving option on the Colts and they cut him because they had more faith in rookie Phillip Dorsett going forward.