1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Johnson Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

COLTS’ BIG-NAME FA PICKUPS STARTING TO PAY OFF
    NATHAN JAHNKE
    2 HOURS AGO

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/09/colts-big-name-fa-pickups-starting-to-pay-off/

In their 27-20 win over the Texans, the Colts had arguably their best offensive performance of the season. There were a number of reasons behind this achievement, including Matt Hasselbeck’s best game since 2012, and some good play from offensive linemen.

Another major factor was the production of a few key free agent pickups—both Frank Gore (+0.8) and Andre Johnson (+2.2) posted one of their best performances as Colts thus far.

Entering the game, Gore failed to produce 90 rushing yards in any of the previous four weeks, only had two touchdowns, and was tied for the league lead in fumbles for a halfback.

Against the Texans, Gore had his best raw stats of the season. His 22 carries and 98 rushing yards were both his season-highs. It was just his second game with a touchdown. He made four players miss tackles on his carries, tied for his second-most in a game since 2008. Gore did have some problems running outside of the tackles, thanks to J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney, but when he ran inside the tackles, he was great. He had 11 carries here for 65 yards.

After Week 4, it appeared Andre Johnson had fallen to third on the wide receiver depth chart. Donte Moncrief ran more routes than Johnson in each of the last three games, and Johnson was held without a catch the past two weeks. On Thursday, however, Johnson ran 24 routes, compared to Moncrief’s 18. Johnson also led the team in catches (six). Two of those catches went for touchdowns, and the other four were first downs. He caught two passes against each of the Texans’ top three cornerbacks, and had between 24 and 28 yards against each of them.

Many might chalk up Johnson’s increase in routes to the fact that he was up against his former team, but it had more to do with the return of Dwayne Allen. This season, Moncrief has played in 95 percent of the Colts’ three-receiver sets, while Johnson has played in just 83 percent. In two-receiver sets, Johnson has played in 68 percent of snaps, compared to 29 percent for Moncrief. Thanks to Allen’s return from injury (and the Colts’ lead), Indianapolis ran more two-WR sets than three-WR sets for the first time this season. With Allen healthy, they will at least run more two-TE sets than they were the last two weeks; if the Colts keep winning, we’ll likely continue to see a lot more of Johnson than Moncrief.

The Colts were one of the most disappointing teams in the league the through Week 2, but are coming off of three straight wins, putting them in the driver’s seat of the AFC South. At this point, they definitely look like they will make the playoffs, but will need both Gore and Johnson to continue to trend upwards if they are to make a deep postseason run.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

They will trend downwards from here on out. Until they play the Texans again, at which point, they will trend upwards.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Colts 'likely' to move on from Andre Johnson <a href="https://t.co/cHCRsSTlEa">https://t.co/cHCRsSTlEa</a></p>&mdash; Rotoworld Football (@Rotoworld_FB) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rotoworld_FB/status/697453498594684928">February 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I chuckled.

5. JamesC

JamesC Member

Just a thought but anybody else think he may try to head to Denver?

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He'll go to Denver, come here, or go to New England.

I hope he comes back, to be honest. He'd accept the number two role, and he'd be a good mentor for Strong.

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

He'll go to New England, revive his career with over 1,600 yards and a super bowl with Brady. God I hate the Patriots.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

I see what you did there. Tell us how you really feel about the WRs not named Deandre Hopkins.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Same thing everyone said last year about him going to the colts.

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't mind them.

Its just that Shorts is injured often, and Strong may not be ready.

Andre would be perfect as a mentor on this team, though. Even to a young quarterback. It's a shame he'll go to New England or Denver, maybe with Miami as an outside shot, and not come home.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

I was just messing with you with a little potty humor.

I understand the Texans had to let him go because of his contract but I have to believe the team would have been better with Andre instead of Nate Washington as the #2,

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, if he wants to come back to compete for the 3rd or 4th WR spot, I'd give him the chance for the minimum.....but that's where he is at this point.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He's too slow for my liking...honestly dont even see what purpose he would serve on the team other than just saying that he's finishing his career as a Texan. I think he would hinder the team more than help the team because there would always be this little pressure to get him the ball, and that hurts the offense.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Bring him home.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not just that, but what happens when he's not good enough to make the team out of camp?

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If, by "home" you literally mean his home, as in the place he lives. Yeah, sure - all for the Texans buying him a plane ticket so he can hang at his house.

The Texans don't need to get older and they sure as heck-fire don't need to get slower. Outside of QB, team speed is far and away the team's biggest need, IMO. I honestly wouldn't invite Johnson to camp if he agreed to be an intern; it's a step in the wrong direction.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How clever. Nothing quite like a fool ducking knowledge.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

More like avoiding a giant turd

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

THIS.

Our receiving core was already lacking speed last season.

Last thing they need is a slow and old wr.