1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Drummond?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by 123Rockets, May 12, 2012.

?

Would you take the chance at Drummond at a high Pick Position?

1. Yes, future Dwight.

130 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. No, Kwame type bust.

82 vote(s)
    38.7%
  1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The NBA and college games are different. You're the one coming here antagonizing a bunch of other people's perspectives. Most people talking about Drummond know he has a bust risk. If he showed a great motor, he would be in conversation with Davis for the #1 pick.

Instead, he's in the mid-lotto range. The same thing happened to Rudy Gay, and while he's not a franchise player, he's been very good. Roy Hibbert had tons of inconsistency -- he averaged 13-6 as a senior and is now an all-star. Production wise, he was similar to Greg Monroe as a freshman as well, who by most accounts is doing quite well in Detroit.

We get it, he was a bad college player. He wouldn't be the first player who took inconsistency into the NBA and then bust like Thabeet did. But most of the people who like him see the bust risk in addition to the tantalizing potential.

2. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

3. bmt1334

bmt1334 Member

How can you know how much basketball any poster on this forum watches. There are NBA scouts who watch more games, attend practices and still have a different opinion than you do. That is why it is an opinion. Nobody knows how these guys will react to the nba game, paychecks, and lifestlye. All we, the fans of the Houston Rockets, are doing is trying to predict what we feel is best for our team as is, and that is our right as fans. Please don't insinuate that you know any more than anyone else and let us be. For the record I would prefer to take MKG at 5 if available and play him at the 2.

4. JD88

JD88 Member

Because when someone suggests taking Teague at #14 and the board agrees with him, I know the majority don't watch college ball.

5. JD88

JD88 Member

And you're right, MKG at #5 would be a steal.

6. bmt1334

bmt1334 Member

Ok, 14 is way to high for Teague.

7. JD88

JD88 Member

I think hes awful. Physically hes elite, but in the game, no.

I watched his little draft highlight video and it did a pretty good job of pointing out his traits, but what it doesnt show is him driving 1 on 4 into the paint and getting his shot blocked out of bounds, or getting trapped in the corner and throwing the ball away.

The draft videos do a good job of making EVERYONE look good.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I know these are summer league games with a small sample size, but Drummond doesn't look like an awful pick by any stretch of the imagination.

His size and athleticism is almost incomparable. He looks like a monster to these D-Leaguers and low roster NBA players.

Defense is what I expected it to be.

As weird as this sounds, he's got a fairly nice touch on the ball. He has the potential to be a decent center, if not better. I don't see too many centers with that kind of athleticism. I also feel like he might turn out to be a better defender than DeAndre Jordan.

Most of the rookies seem to be pretty decent, so far. It's only Summer league, but they haven't looked dreadful.

9. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Yeah, I was surprised when he knocked in those step-back jumpers. And then proceeded to airball a freethrow.

Gonna be an interesting season for Drummond.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Very high medium term potential. A project, but he could start showing serious returns in 2014. I wish we had drafted him.

11. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

blame the raptor for that. freakin dummys :mad:

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yes, he looked ok defensively. BUt this is summer league. Once the regular season starts, he's gonna be playing against grown men his size and bigger. Expect him to get into a lot of foul trouble, spend long stretches on the bench, and airball free throws on a regular basis as teams figure out how to hose hiim by smothering him defensively and not worrying about whether they foul him or not.

13. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Dummys? The got to keep their 8th pick and still get Lowry. Who is the real the dummy now?

14. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

game ,set and match

15. basketballholic

Wow. Looking back at this thread.

16. jbasket

jbasket Member

You have literally bumped about how much Drummond sucks on like 4 threads. Give it a break. Yes, he had a bad game. You know he's 21 right? Many people are rookies at 21.

17. basketballholic

He's 23 now.

18. jbasket

jbasket Member

And in the last player rankings by ESPN, Drummond was #20, and #29 on SI. Couldn't wait to bump the thread, eh? Classic.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarank20/nbarank-20-detroit-pistons-center-andre-drummond
    http://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/14/andre-drummond-detroit-pistons

That's pretty good, imo. Still putting up a 14 and 14 on 21.5 PER this year as well (a down year). What's your argument? That he won't be the next Dwight Howard? People forget how dominant that guy was. It's unrealistic expectations. But Drummond is clearly a quality player in this league.

And players at age 23 can still improve their play, and often do. This player is a perfect example of that.

For the 2012 draft, look at the people drafted before and after him. In a redraft, he is definitely going higher than 9th. And with the salary cap explosion, seeing contracts like Mozgov's, life will be ok for the Pistons with his contract. Yule C.

BarkleyHater84 likes this.
  19. basketballholic

He is a loser. I don't care what lists he's on. Watch what's happening in Detroit. They stink. He's supposed to be their best player. He's still under 40% from the free throw line. He plays terrible defense. They'll never win with him. Especially now that he has his money. He doesn't love the game. He isn't going to put in the work necessary. And he doesn't have the mentality to be great. He hosed the franchise and a few of us could see this coming.

Unrealistic expectations? They gave him a max deal. Unrealistic expectations? A franchise's first max deal on the roster has to be your franchise player. It's r****ded to not expect that he is the franchise.

Yes, I know.....He's just 23. Keep making that excuse. In two more years he'll be 25. Then what? You think he's going to all of a sudden become a different player between now and then? That has a less than one percent chance of happening. This is like his fifth season already. He's not some green guy on a rookie contract any more that hasn't played enough minutes to develop. He's the franchise player. Except he's not and never will be. That contract is a huge fail. Drummond is a mediocre big. He's a bust. He should be making around half what he's getting and thanking his lucky stars he's making that much. Because he does not contribute to winning. His game translates to losses. Opponents crush him in the paint and at the rim. And he bogs down the offense in a much worse fashion than Dwight could think about doing. He's a joke. And the Pistons are a joke because of him. But hey, keep reading those lists and ignore my list. He made my bust list while he was at UConn and he's never got off it. He's a bust and I'm so glad we didn't trade up to draft him.

#99 basketballholic, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017