1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Andre Drummond looks good

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RV6, Oct 11, 2012.

1. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i wish we have a guy like greg monroe :(

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

As I said I'll give him props for Monroe and Drummond, Dumars has been quite good at drafting, the only player I remember him busting out on is Darko, but then again with the potential Darko showed predraft its hard to pass that up.

However if its just drafting then Morey should've been the best GM by now, you still have FA moves and trades to consider, and he essentially blew up all his capspace on Charlie Villanueva and Ben Gordon. That had nothing to do with the owner dieing LOL.

3. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I was about to say the same thing.

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Why would Morey be the best GM based on drafting, he doesn't stand out.
    He's one of the best based on trading and share effort, though.

Didn't we talk about them already in this thread?
    Their choices were: (A) use your cap now, (B) don't use it at all.
    He got two young solid assets, the owner died, Dumars couldn't move them - or any other players. In the end, they had too many similar pieces, not enough playing time and huge flaws as a team, and half the players on that roster lost their value.
    The same thing will happen to half the Rockets assets if Morey isn't allowed to move all the powers forwards you've collected.

5. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Yup, that's a big possibility.

6. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Really want to see Drummond do anything other than fill a box score in a garbage time blowout before I draw more conclusions.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is better than I thought. Raw but interesting. As long as he puts in the effort,Joe D will reward him with minutes.

8. trowa

trowa Member

the next dwight howard

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Joe D doesn't interfere, if Darko story has told us anything.

Lawrence Frank seems very pro-vet so far. Kyle Singler is clearly outplaying Tayshaun Prince. And Drummond has been so much better than Jason Maxiell every time.

It's just sad to see both rookies coming off the bench for limited minutes.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Almost all of Morey's draft picks have value greater than their draft spot. For example, C-bud was picked with the 64th pick and we were able to turn him into Tjones...who's looking like another guy who should've been in the lottery this year.

Your B choice doesn't really make sense, because the CAP is something persists year after year. If he doesn't use it now, then he could use it next year, when there were better FAs in the market.

It won't be the same thing with Morey because in Morey's case the PFs are all on rookie scale contracts, you can move them for cash or picks easily. In Dumar's case, Charlie V and Gordon were overpaid (both making 8-12M) and not producing, so even if Dumars wanted to move them other teams wouldn't trade unless he added sweeteners like a pick or took even worse contracts in exchange.

Anyway I didn't realize until today the Pistons were 0-7 LOL. Don't you think saying they would be in contention next year is a bit ridiculous?

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

They will be contending next year, dude.

For a top 5 pick:eek:

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I'd take a Marc Gasol, or Hibbert, or Lawson, or Pekovic etc instead of that bunch of marginal starters and bench guys.

It's nice to have few utter busts, but it doesn't get you far and that's not what i want from "the best drafting GM".

If they waited a year, their available cap space would've become almost twice smaller.

The question was, what would happen if Morey wasn't allowed to move your PFs for a couple years. You answer: "you can move them easily". And you say I'm the one who makes no sense.

When you have a bunch of players who don't fit and play similar roles, and you aren't allowed to move them, their value often goes down, their development slows down and in some cases their confidence breaks down.

Re Charlie and Gordon, they were slightly overpaid at the time, but their value just perished in Detroit. Now i don't know what Dumars would've done if he was able to make moves. Maybe he moves Rip Hamilton instead of Ben Gordon. Or maybe he moves them both.
    Either way, he built that Pistons championship team because he was a master of collecting assets and selling them at the right time for underrated assets. With that recent group, he collected assets, the owner died and he couldn't sell them.

Oh, I thought you started to dig up my old posts because they were 0-7. What a strange coincidence then.

I said - once they use their cap space.
    Nothing's changed since a month ago. Drummond still looks very well, he's just not getting much time yet. Brandon Knight looks much improved. They still have a ton of cap space this summer.

Two of their vets are injured, another two had a very rough start. They are 0-7. Big deal.

13. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I haven't watched him play much, but anytime I have he still looks clueless. Still not a Drummond-believer.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Noticed that Drummond has had double-digit rebound games in his last 4 and is averaging just under 9 points & 10 boards a game in just 23.5 minutes in his last 9. He also had 11 points, 14 boards and 5 blocks the other day in just 21 minutes against the Wizards.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XX6jkXzStAw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm sure he's still got a lot of learning to do about the game, but his rebounding sure is coming along.

15. trowa2

trowa2 Member

he is definitely a solid player and will be a solid starter next to greg monroe. easily a career 15-10 guy. i was watching the heat game yesterday and man, that guy isnt better than asik right now, but i am willing to bet $100 that he will be in two years! this offseason, he needs to work on his footwork and freethrow

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He's getting all those points, rebounds, blocks, steals on pure talent and energy right now. He's missing rotations, but he's doing incredible things athletically and he's just ultra aggressive. He'll be amazing in a couple years. This is like watching a young Dwight.

Also, it feels like the Pistons are either tanking on purpose or trying to build up trade value of some of their vets. I don't see a better explanation of why Drummond is getting so few minutes. He looks like their best player when he plays.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Man he is so young. It's almost scary how good he can be.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Drummond was my 2nd favorite player in the draft behind Anthony Davis. He's legit got endless potential.

I remember when his name was being brought up in trade talks for who the Rockets were targeting, I was so pumped, and obviously I'm thrilled we have Harden, but I'm always gonna keep an eye out for Drummond. I really think he's gonna be a great player.

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

That right there's the next Alonzo Mourning. When Zo was Drummond's age, he was still a sophomore at Georgetown (where he played four years).

Provided his coaches keep a watchful eye on him, Drummond will be a star.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's crazy though, I don't think I've ever seen a someone so passive flip the switch and become ultra aggressive once he got drafted. If he played like this in college he might have gone number 1 ahead of Davis. Are pistons big man coach really that good? Or did he get trauma from getting picked so low in the draft?