1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anderson Varejao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kaleidosky, May 19, 2006.

1. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

8. Get Ronny Turiaf.

[​IMG]

2. maopaopao

maopaopao Member

I want gooden

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

rockets already have chuck hayes.

if the warriors are serious about trimming salary and the murphy trade rumours from earlier on in the season weren't totally unfounded i'd rather the rockets pursued that.

4. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Contributing Member

We know that Varejao is a big energy guy, who will do the dirty work (dive on the floor for rebounds, throw elbows, get garbage points). But given the stated needs for athletic 4s who can shoot, I don't see Varejao fitting that exact need.

BTW, here is his abbreviated stat line from ESPN.com:

Minutes FGA/FGM FG% Pts Reb Ast Blk
    15.9 1.6-3.1 .527 4.6 4.9 0.4 0.4

Are these MLE stats? Not at this point.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Padget, Varejo ...

why are people wanting to replace our scrubs with more scrubs?

I think maybe, just maybe, our sights should be just a tad higher.

6. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

Is it me or does Varejao look like Sideshow Bob or has somebody already picked up on this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Or maybe Carlito from the WWE:

[​IMG]

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

das not coool.

9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Varejao is a good player with a bit of upside but definitely not worth a full MLE. The Cavs have his Early Bird Rights so the probably won't lose him unless CHI,CHA or ATL has the Joneses for him.

Varejao is a double-edged sword. He is quick enough to guard PF's like Wallace or Bogut on the perimeter. But not a good enough shot to spread the floor for LBJ or Hughes or Flip to operate 1on1.

IMHO, there are several major differences between AV and Swift.

First, AV doesn't usually try to block every shot so he fouls less and is not airborne when everyone else is getting rebounding position. Secondly, Anderson Varejao has a much softer shot than Stro. If Stro had or could develop Varejao's touch, he would become a much better offensive player.

Lastly, the Cavs don't diminish Varejao to a strictly postup role on offense. If we had him and that's how we used him, AV would be far less effective than he is in Cleveland.

10. yaomac

yaomac Member

You lived in Barcelona? The basketball team there is obviously not so strong as their soccer team which wins the European Championship. But the spanish national team is a good one. They got the 4th position in Euro Championship even without Paul Gasol. Anyway, maybe it's his hair which makes him look like 7' :). Basically, I do not think Verejao will ever fit in the Houston system. He is not a disciplined role player, do not have consistency on both ends of the court. Sometimes his play can pump the crowd up and raise the team morale. But it just stops there. And I see much more potential in Swift than him. I guess we should just be more patient when we are making decisions.

11. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

First, Varejao is not worthy for the whole MLE.
    Second, I don't think he will leave Cleveland.

12. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

How much do you think just the hair would cost? If we put Varejao's hair on Stromile's head, it would give him at least 3 inches of height, so he could legitimately play center at 7-0, and at least 5 lbs of weight, so he wouldn't get pushed around so much.

New offseason plan:

2.5 Million for Vassilis Spanoulis
    .5 Million for Varejao's hair
    .5 Million for Turiaf's hair
    1.5 Million for Ben Wallace's hair (due to the Championship experience)
    Vet Min for Martyn (for old times' sake)

13. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Varejao doesn't fit us. We need a 4 that can shoot midrange in order to create space for Yao. We cannot use the full MLE on a guy that doesn't even cover our need.