1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anderson out, Ariza went off yesterday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Mar 27, 2017.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh I watched it. I saw a team down 20+ pts and climb back in it with plenty of chances to get over the hump but for various reasons weren't able to take advantage. Obviously against a championship team like GS, you can ill afford not to when given those chances. And no I didn't account it solely on missing another playmaker.

2. basketballholic

Not what I said. You avoided the question deftly. But here it is again for you to take another swing at.

Don't you see the need for another playmaker in our rotation?

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Another playmaker would help, but that guy just isn't out there right now. Bums like Pierre Jackson aren't gonna do a damn thing.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really because to me having a sole playmaker isn't that relevant if guys don't hit shots at the end of the day. And if you're guard rotation is already filled with harden, eg, lou, bev who all need minutes, there just isn't room to add someone else especially at this stage of the season and actually be a difference maker. The identity is already established. Now if you're talking about a Hayward, Paul George type of player who are capable playmakers in addition to what they can do then yeah of course that's welcomed but everyone knows we would like to add another star caliber player like that. that isn't much of a secret.

heypartner and Reeko like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Only way that works is if you mess with the current chemistry of the existing 4 guards on the team. I'd rather build on existing chemistry of proven NBA guards like MDA is doing than gamble for 9 games on a rookie, which highly-likely won't become a playoff playmaker, then you've lost 9 games of building upon what you got.

Look up "non sequitur" in the dictionary.

Again, this is a non sequitur, because you are proposing a dream-come-true, made-for-Hollywood scenario on a d-leaguer becoming a playoff force in 9 games....without screwing up (much less improving upon) the current chemistry of our best two positions -- our 4 guards.

I see the need for another star player. That player isn't walking through the door. I don't see the need to stop building upon what we got with our 4 guards for a d-leaguer or someone "off the street".

your imagination is cute, though.

MistaK and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

The question wasn't addressed to me but I will answer it because the answer is quite obvious. When you use the term "playmaker" what you're really saying is could the Rockets use another "all-star calibre" player to go alongside of Harden. Obviously, the answer is yes. Golden State has four of them (five if you count Iguodala), while the Rockets only have Harden.

7. basketballholic

Sad. If you can't see that we need another playmaker........I don't know what to say. Just sad.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

It's the same thing when I see how you try to tie your narratives to Rubio no matter how you try to spin it.

9. basketballholic

Nope. I'm not talking about an all-star. I'm talking about a guy that can dribble through traffic, that can juke defenders and buzz around the court with the basketball without tripping over his shoelaces, that can draw the defense and create a shot for others or that can penetrate the seams and finish or throw the lob. I'm talking about a guy that can dribble, create, and pass. I'm talking about Isaiah Taylor's skill set. He ain't no all-star. We have exactly one playmaker on this roster. That's it. And it's ridiculous not recognize our shortcomings here.

Golden State has Steph, Livingston, Iggy, and Clark. Those guys can all do what I just described. Livingston ain't no all-star. Don't make it difficult. It's simple. We only got one guy on the roster that can dissect a defense and make a play. It's not enough.

#89 basketballholic, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Little Bit likes this.
  10. basketballholic

You are the one tying my posts to Rubio. We cannot acquire Rubio. I'm not talking about Rubio now. And I haven't been talking about Rubio. We need another playmaker. Quit trying to make my words into something else.

You are lying to yourself saying we don't. Childish.

11. dmoneybangbang

Lol. I guess when your OP fails you double down it. Lou is has been a much better playmaker than Livingston. You don't basketball well if you merely see Lou as a spot up shooter and the same with Gordon. What exactly do you think Livingston does? Or Iggy? In a playmaking capacity?

12. dmoneybangbang

We already have 3 guards that can play make... one of them leads the NBA in assists and has a lot of room to improve. GSW is elite because their players don't camp out and are in constant motion. MDA has us playing a historically good offense but we got another gear if we simply change up how our players move off the ball. Harden needs to play off the ball more and let Lou and to a lesser extent Gordon run the offense in spurts when they all share the floor.

13. basketballholic

No. Lou is not a better playmaker than Livingston. Never said Lou was just a spot up shooter. Because he's not. Lou is a scorer.

And Lou is the best we got at creating for others behind Harden.

But it's not enough. You seen what's going to happen to us when we get to the Spurs/Warriors. They're going to choke away the three-point line, put a great defender on Harden and force Harden to beat them alone and/or force the other guys to beat them off the dribble.

We need to see what Taylor's got. We need to see him run pick and roll against NBA defenses.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Realistically we need another all star at the very least not another playmaker like you're specifically advocating for. But we all know that. nothing childish about it

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Lou and Gordon can beat guys off the dribble at all-star, SMOY levels. You just spelled out the poisons of our offense -- the 3, Harden drives/lob, or force other guys to beat them off the dribble. We have that in spades with Lou and Gordon. You are describing them like they are spot up shooters. They aren't. Boys can take it to the rim and do in our offense. You either aren't paying attention to MDA or are dumbing down his offense and use of those two.

Look, GSW took away our three only by not sending help on Harden's drives. Lou and EGo are likewise proficient getting into the lane with purposefully soft resistance that GSW chose as a poison. We had that game still if only we make just a few of those bunnies at the rim we missed. Hell, the drive and dish from Gordon that went through Nene's hands was a 5pt turnaround alone.

You say we don't have someone at Livingston's level of playmaking. In this offense with a wide open lane, especially as wide as GSW gave us and we exploited to near victory, we damn sure do.

We all agre we need another star this summer. What you are reaching for has a high probability of delivering no playoff rotation addition, and at the expense of taking away time in the last 8-games for MDA adding more motion to our bench. This isn't theory. This is what MDA is doing right now.

Motion doesn't need a ball dominant PG, just like it doesn't with GSW and Livingston.

Your imagination to dream up a made for Hollywood script of the dleaguer becoming a playoff force is not reality. It isn't happening, and you are arguing merely in theory as fun intercourse on the BBS. Which is fine. That's what we are here for. It's fine talking what-if scenarios. But don't call ppl stupid, because you're actually calling MDA stupid at the same time, which makes you look stupid

Just trying to help.

That said, if Harden ends up having to rest, Taylor might get his look and chance to beat all the odds and take away minutes from Lou, Ego and Bev ... and in a significant +/- to overtake GSW,,,woo hoo. versus us just working more on our motion and poison to attack the rim with Lou and Ego, and making our layups Sunday.

#95 heypartner, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  16. basketballholic

Stupid post. Find the All-star that puts us over the top that isn't a playmaker. You're being stupid.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're actually one of the last persons who should be calling other peoples post stupid lol. you seem to be more focused on attacking lately rather than keeping it about basketball. I can call you a moron and such all day long if you want to continue on that route

18. basketballholic

Never said they were just spot up shooters. Nor do I believe that. Quit putting words in my posts that aren't there. Gordon and Lou are scorers. Scorers! They can spot-up shoot, which is their first responsibility when Harden is on the floor. They can shoot off the dribble, but not as efficiently as wide-open spot-up catch-and-shoot looks. And they can take it to the hole and finish. They are scorers! I have never said they were just shooters. Quit saying I have. What you did here I'd say that I believed something I don't believe. Then you blow it up. Then you say how stupid it is. And that's stupid. You're wasting bandwidth concocting crap like this. Stop doing it.

Yeah, and there's the rub. We are one of the worst, if not the worst, finishing teams in the Association. That wasn't just the Warriors game where we missed bunnies. It's been the whole season. Why don't you figure that one out?

No. We don't. And the evidence has been there that we don't all season. In the playoffs we're going to see a steady diet of tight defense on the perimeter with opponents taking away uncontested threes and forcing us to beat them off the dribble. Oh, yeah, Gordon and Lou can finish........But it's not enough. They can't finish well enough, often enough against the better defenses. And there's a reason for that. Go look up the game logs when we play the Warriors and Spurs. They know what's coming. They force our drivers out a step. And our finishing efficiency goes down the tubes. Because those defenses know there's not a second passer. They don't have to worry about kick outs. They don't have to worry about cuts. All they have to do is attack the drive and cut it off a step or two short. Watch the games. Examine the data. We pile up crazy numbers against lottery teams. But playoff teams...And especially those above us.....They know we're one-dimensional. We have no attack outside of Harden. And all the gimmick sets we run when Harden sits are and will be exploited by our opponents.
    It's stupid to think we need a superstar next summer but we don't need more playmaking now. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. And MDA agrees with me. Not you. My imagination is thinking of ways for us to possibly win a championship this year. Taylor isn't a dleaguer. We gave him a contract and he's getting NBA checks. We're six games ahead of Utah with eight games to go. Taylor needs some burn. And we've still got over $3 million left to add a vet or two for a playoff run. We need a defensive big and another playmaker to have a chance.

It's also stupid to bank our championship window on some future date when we acquire this theoretical all-star that we don't need his playmaking.....when we are close right now. Here we are, in Hardens prime, and we're going to forego trying to win a championship now while we wait to acquire this non-playmaking superstar at some point in the future. I guarantee you none of Les, Daryl, MDA, Harden, Tad, Clutch, and the anybody else associated with this organization agree with that. We are trying to win now.

Taylor (or whomever we could find) would need to take minutes from Anderson and Dekker mostly with maybe only a few of Bev's also.

It would be much safer to involve Taylor (or whomever) in our current sets, which is mostly pick and roll (simple fit most playmakers), and needs to be pick-and-roll when Harden is off-court if we expect our second unit to hold the fort against our playoff opponents than it would be to install more motion and passing with a second unit of poor passers since we are the worst team in the Association throwing the ball away when we pass it. You're suggesting the same group of guys doing a lot more of what they are bad at.....will work all of a sudden now that we're playing top-notch defenses in a pressure situation. LOL. Silly.

#98 basketballholic, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  19. basketballholic

I see you have no answer....

20. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets do need a legitimate defensive presence inside. With the way the Rockets defend, having someone that is a good passing, genuine top 5 defensive center would make the Rockets defense very good.

Another play maker? Almost every team wants/needs that. It would be wonderful to have another hybrid guard like near prime Wade but those are hard to get. The Rockets don't need Ricky Rubio. He is too poor a shooter to take 30+ minutes a night.