1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anderson out, Ariza went off yesterday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Mar 27, 2017.

1. dmoneybangbang

Harden at the 4 is interesting and has occurred before but not a significant amount. I wouldn't mind seeing that for small stretches, but Harden at the 3 has been more effective this season with either Anderson, Ariza, or Dekker at the 4.

Overall, I think you are right in the regard that we will see Harden playing more at the 3 or 4.

2. dmoneybangbang

I don't disagree, as we will probably see a little less of Anderson in the post season if he isn't killing beyond the arc. We just have so much flexibility with our lineups.

The one thing Ariza can't replicate of Anderson is the distance at which they are shooting the 3 pointer from, but if Anderson isn't hitting it a good clip then he doesn't bring much.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Anderson should be moved in the off season

shastarocket and kevtse like this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Still an anderson fan.

We need him for the playoffs.

Im telling yall, he will let lose for 30 in a big game for us

vtjsr2 likes this.
  5. basketballholic

Ariza can neither duplicate distance nor the quicker trigger of Anderson with a defender close enough to contest. But I still feel in those situations Gordon is even better than Anderson because the defense has to respect his drive and Gordon does have all the distance Anderson has if not more.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Watching Ariza at the PF spot, you can see why the Rockets had interest in Wilson Chandler at the deadline.

BigShasta, Yaosthirdleg and Deckard like this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

The difference between Gordon and Anderson is position. Gordon won't pull away an interior defender like Anderson. Gordon can punish bigger players when they switch onto him by driving and playmaking, but Anderson's worth is that he's a PF with elite career 3 point shooting.

Outside of Harden, I would argue that Anderson has the most gravity due to the position he plays.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

As well as the team and Ariza played on offense last game, I still think having Anderson is helpful overall. In the longer term, I don't know how much of the PF minutes Ariza can play before all the banging gets to him. Hell, even LeBron preferred to avoid playing PF when possible and he's a lot stronger than Ariza.

Also, giving some guys extra minutes will put extra strain on their bodies, and we have to give some of the Anderson minutes to guys deeper in the rotation that coach would otherwise prefer not to play.

vtjsr2 likes this.
  9. basketballholic

But that really doesn't matter if Ariza is in the corner. Especially the right corner. His man has a clear choice stick to him or help away and give up a 45% 3-ball.

The player top right (typically Anderson) is responsible for either spotting up or picking and popping. If you have Gordon in that spot instead of Anderson you are not losing any gravity. What you are doing is forcing the defense to make a choice. Gordon has every bit of, if not more, range and accuracy than Anderson has. All Gordon has to do to establish the gravity is fire away if open and force the defense up on him.

The next difference is instead of having a mediocre stand still shooter in the left corner in Ariza, Beverley or Lou is now over there. Both guys are better shooters than Ariza and they can both dribble drive if closed out. You've got the same gravity, better shooters, and more options with cuts and dribble drives. You are varying your offensive options while putting better defense on the floor and taking your fifth offensive option (Ariza) and putting him where he needs to be for maximum efficiency.

Gordon in Anderson's spot is better offense. Anderson and Ariza need to be hanging out in the corner and trading on-off minutes.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

????

What does it matter that he's labeled a pf?

The other teams opposing 4 has to hold someone. Whether that's Ariza on the perimeter or Anderson on the perimeter.

11. dmoneybangbang

It matters because Anderson is a better floor spacer than anyone who can competently play at the 4. Anderson camping out several feet beyond the 3 point line matters. Labeling isn't really the point, having 4 floor spacers is what matters.

topfive likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Trevor Ariza is a streaky shooter, Anderson is simply a better shooter and always has been. Trevor Ariza hasn't shown the ability to camp out several feet beyond the 3 point line.

Trevor Ariza has shot 43% in the right corner and Anderson has shot 56% in that corner and 50% in the left corner.... take a look for yourself....

http://nbasavant.com/player.php?player_id=2772

http://nbasavant.com/player.php?player_id=201583

Gordon in that same right corner is 32% and 47% in the left corner..

http://nbasavant.com/player.php?player_id=201569

Gordon only shoots 1% better than Anderson outside of the 3 point corners....and shoots better inside the paint... but Anderson is head and shoulders above Gordon every where else when you actually look at the shot chart.

RocketWalta and dlite316 like this.
  13. thekad

thekad Member

Holic's point is Gordon is sliding into that same spot as the floor spacer, not Ariza. And Gordon can dribble and sort of pass. A big sliding into the paint leaves Ariza open in a spot where he's more comfortable. Of course, it's an extremely small sample size.

I'd like to see how a 4 guard + Ariza lineup can defend the P&R if we meet the Warriors in the playoffs.

Curry/Bev
    Iggy/Lou
    Klay/Gordon
    Durant/Ariza
    Green/Harden

basketballholic likes this.
  14. Asian Sensation

This. I always felt Ariza was the X factor. When he shoots well the rest of his game is so much better also which has an obvious positive effect for us. I hope he stays hot.

15. dmoneybangbang

Net rating is what is important. Iggy and Green are great defenders and can have some utility offensively, less so Iggy.

I think while it would be interesting and have some success playing with 4 guards, that lineup would be terrible defensively and would entirely rely on overwhelming offense.

16. thekad

thekad Member

Probably, but we won in Oakland with Anderson playing center down the stretch. I think Harden - when he's locked in - can defend the P&R, the rim, and in isolation vs all five of those guys better than Ryno.

And, yeah, the offense just might be overwhelming.

17. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

Will Anderson be back by playoffs?

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

We're just as likely to see Anderson get minutes at the 5.

Golden State is a very intriguing matchup. No doubt in crunch time they will go with Curry / Thompson / Iggy / Durant / Draymond. We could attack that group in a couple of different ways....exploit their lack of size by attacking the paint with Nene/Capela, or 3-for-all with Anderson at the 5 to pull Draymond out of the paint.

Either way, we can make them work on the defensive end like no other team can, and with their short bench, that could wear on them by games 6 and 7.

BigMaloe and Deuce like this.
  19. basketballholic

Yes. I'm intrigued by Anderson at the 5 offensively. I think that would almost be the ultimate offense. I just have no confidence that he could keep us net positive because of his defense.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah we've seen Ryno at the 5 plenty this season and especially works against GS. he pulls DG out of the paint when in previous years, he shades and crowds towards Harden. Defensively, the rockets will take DG shooting 3s all day long so that's not much of a problem. Rockets have a variety of combinations they can throw at teams and in the playoffs will be very much situational based. the big thing I love about MDA is that he forces opponents to match up with his lineups and rarely the other way around. Identity doesn't change.

BigMaloe likes this.