1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

And you all say that Dwight Howard is better than Yao???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bigkstrong, May 16, 2010.

1. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

LOL if not for Brooks.......this is what you call discrediting the fact the Blazers re-focused all their defensive efforts on stopping Yao through fronting and man help from the back.

I guess the roster of
    Lewis
    Nelson
    Carter
    and many other decent role players are not helping DH reach deeper in the playoffs.

Basketball = Team game........Or wait I guess that makes DH better than LBJ because LBJ can't get past the 2nd round this year.

Your logic fails.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I just think of it like this, yao is a more skilled offensive player and an underrated defensive player. Howard is a limited offensive player and incredible defensive player. Even in his prime, yao limits what you can do offensively and defensively. Thats not a terrible thing, just a thing. In the case of howard, he fits any way you want to play offensivly and defensively.

Building around howard is a much simplier task because of what he does really well and thats finishing,rebounding, and defending. Its easier to find scorers to put around howard and not having to worry about whether he's getting touches. With yao,since his stamina is poor, you have to use him while he's in there despite whether he's scoring or not. The team is forced to play half court all the time. With howard, he could play well in phoenix or golden state or in sa and charlotte. The team can press and pressure further up the court also if they need to. The versitility,durability,and productionis huge.

3. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Andrew Bogut is the best center in the game IMHO.

4. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i see so many articles comparing DH to Hakeem. i think it's a ridiculous comparison. He doesn't have the IQ, footwork to become or surpass Dream. He could become a watered down Mutombo maybe.

5. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

I can agree with this statement.

I am just not on board with DH being compared to Bill Russel or any other great.

When was the last time a dominate Center won a championship..........Shaq (Wade was a big help)

Dominate Center is not needed in today's game.

6. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Exactly man. I am so sick of the HYPE on DH. This is why Shaq is so pissed. People/Media declaring DH as being better than or equal to

Bill Russel
    Shaq
    The Dream

etc.......

It needs to stop.

7. Mcgrady4ever

Mcgrady4ever Member

Dwight keeps showing in the game that he's really a BEAST, with no balance and direction in his movements/low post attack but just jumping and running through the game.
    I would say Yao is much more technically-filled then him.

8. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

That's because there isn't any around right now. I'm sure every GM would gladly take a prime Dream on his team. Look at those elite teams, they still have servicable big men down low, Garnett, Duncan, Gasol, Bynum. I would be thrilled to have someone like Andrew Bogut, Brook Lopez or Chris Kaman on our team.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

I don't agree with this statement. Howard is surrounded by enough scorers already, but Magic's offense yesterday wasn't fluid. Howard didn't provide that good pivot for them. You put Yao in there, the result could have been different. Yao would have destroy Perkins and big baby, the traditional centers. What Yao have trouble with is the Najaras, Brandon Basses, Al Harringtons, which the celtics don't have any.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Definitely agree that Yao in place of Dwight yesterday would have beat the living crap out of the Celtics. The Magic have enough tall shooters who can also feed the post with no difficulty (Rashard, Vince, Pietrus).

11. Craftx5

Craftx5 Member

I know I don't post a whole lot but this is dumb. Yao has not even played a whole season since being in the NBA. Right now, Howard is better and will continue to get better.

12. noize

noize Contributing Member

I thought DH had gotten over the fronting and his offensive liability but I was wrong. I thought he would learn something from the Bobcat series. He has been a no show so far and the Magic will go as far as he does against a contending team. If he keeps this up, the Magic won't reach the final let alone with it all.

I'm sorry DH fans, but Yao will be a lot more productive just with his offensive skills and good defense alone and he has proven that in the playoff countless times. To say Yao is inferior to howard cuz he's injured is as useless as DH when he's being fronted.

13. leebigez

Brooks was public enemy #1 after the first game. Yao went off in game 1,but that wasnt the difference. The difference was brooks ability to get by blake all day. You want more examples, look at the lakers series. They tilted the defense towards brooks alot. The blazers did the same and had to try differnt combo's to stop him. When they wanted to stop yao, they fronted him.

14. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

I still till this day have not heard a good enough argument that will put Dwight ove Yao...Lets talk post season, Yao never had a 12 point game in the post season, all the so called sport analyst said it yesterday...Dwight needs to find some other way to score, he needs to develope a shooting game.Hes not always going to dunk over people, especially over Yao or Shaq. He wont be better than Yao untill he developes a low post game, he does the same move all the time jab right or left than drive and throws up that ugly underhook or hook shot. OVERRATED!!! Get of his D***, you who say DH is better, give me a better explanation on how and why he is better...and dont give me that oh hes still playing, or he can rebound and block...like i said before points wins you games not blocks and rebound :grin:

15. leebigez

Howard packed a sorry ass rafer alston to the finals. Anything else needs to be said?

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Okay...how many points has Yao scored this postseason?

17. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

So did Yao. :rolleyes:

18. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

why???

1) Stays Healthy

2) Defensively superior

3) Still developing offensively

I said this earlier, if Yao could just stay healthy then the argument would lean his way but if Yao can't stay on the court then he really can't help much. DH is better on the defense end were he can change games and he still has time to improve his game on the offensive end while Yao is pretty much what he will be.

19. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Yao took Skip to the Finals??? :eek:

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

False...