1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

And with the first pick in the 2001 NBA Draft The Houston Rockets select.....

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Lil Francis, Dec 27, 2000.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I like the idea of a J-Will/Francis backcourt.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

2. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I do believe there's another forum for this...

E.G. sucks anyway [​IMG]

------------------
    WooHoo! The season's here!....I'm still gonna need that keg of Pepto-Bismol.

3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I like Randolph, and Griffin. [​IMG]

------------------
    Sometimes you gotta do the next best thing!

4. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Los Cato sounds like a Mexican restaurant or somethin.

------------------
    We will ball.

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Other possibles for the lottery:

J Williams
    Forte
    et al

I am obligated to mention the proper forum for this thread at its current juncture is:
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb-cgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=t opics&forum=College+Corner+|AMP|+NBA+Draft+2001&number=9

which has more future draft threads.

Mango

------------------
    Lets get the Mo Go working!
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited December 29, 2000).]

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

God, I figure Yao is a giant amongst men... but averaging 27 rebounds is indicative of some sort of desire.

Maybe when we go into that back room this year we won't be a mere 4 numbers off the #1... maybe Davie can hook us up.

------------------
    You don't normally see a shot-blocker out there shooting 3s like that. - Matt Bullard

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I know we have a great point already but lets just say Morris, Griffin, and Wallace are gone when we pick and J-Will is on the board
    would you take him?

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Lil, No. Two young great point guards dont fit no matter how you spin it. You could go ahead and kiss Shandon good-bye. But from reading your previous posts, you probably would let him go.

Does anyone think we should pick up jason capel if he is available somewhere in the second round. He is 2/3/and maybe 4. He is 6'8 and does a lot of the little things on the court. He was named ACC player of the week after recording the secondtriple-double in team history(Haywood got the first) with 16 points, 11 boards, and 10 assists.

He's averaging around 10 points, 5, 6 assists but in only around 20 minutes a game. I dont know if he is NBA material but I think he could be a good guy off the bench or even a 6th man

Ming-27 boards a game? WOW. I still dont see him being as good as walton and the rest of the media are hyping him up to be, but he sounds like he is pretty good. Sounds like the old Sabonis to me.

9. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I'm not necessarily saying we should draft this guy, but Jamaal Tinsley would be a perfect fit for the Iso in the NBA--he's got some of the craziest shakes I've ever seen. Just needs to work on his J...

------------------

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Moving this to the <a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb-cgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=9">college and NBA Draft forum</a>.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Jason Williams has too much talent to pass up. If he is on the board I would make that gamble and draft him. You can never have too much talent.

------------------

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lil Francis-If that was the case, I'd take definitely Loren Woods, maybe/probably Haywood, Yarbrough, Ming, Murphy and Battier, and many others. Our defense is bad enough, there's no way you take another PG to try and move Francis to SG and have 2 6'3'' guards on defense. Philadephia can do it because they have freaking Ratliff, Hill and Geiger down low, with Lynch, all great defenders, as is Snow, and Iverson creates turnovers.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited December 29, 2000).]

13. MManal

MManal Member

Its still very early to start projecting which player could fall at which spot. The only thing I feel pretty strongly about right now is that Rudy wont take a guard in this draft. I think we have learned a lot about his drafting style over the past 5 yrs or so and that should atleast provide us with some clues as to what he will do this draft. Rudy usually looks for players he perceives to have talent and that fit into the system. The main criteria is the fitting into the system b/c he values chemistry and need more than just picking the best talent on paper. I dont see the Rockets going for a PG like Jason Williams b/c based on Rudy's comments in the past, he feels Steve is going to be one of the greatest all time at that position. From comments he has made on the radio and other interviews, I seriously doubt he has any intention of moving Steve to the 2 spot.

So far, the mid range type players I have seen that seem to be potential Rudy T type picks are Terence Morris, Shane Battier, Brian Cook and Vincent Yarbrough. Cook and Morris are almost ideal Rudy T choices b/c they fit this team real well, possess a significant amount of talent but have a consistentcy problem and underachieve. This will cause them to fall on the charts of my teams, but I think that kind of thing attracts the Rockets.

Of the discussed top choices, the ones I just dont see for the Rockets are Brendan Haywood (completely overrated), Joseph Forte (positional conflict) and Jason Williams (same reason as Forte). Basically any other flashy guard could be grouped in the same category as these two. Also throw out any undersized threes that will have to move to the 2 spot in the NBA (Richard Jefferson, Jason Richardson, etc); Rudy passed on both Desmond Mason and Morris Peterson in this past draft for similar reasons. Keep your eye out for long armed versatile SFs and a rough and rugged big man to shore up the frontline.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Can Jason play a little 2?

------------------

15. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets did take one of those undersized SF's mmanal mentioned--especially Richard Jefferson (who's the same height as Yarbrough about) with the later pick, if anything for insurance if Shandon doesn't stay, which is a real possibility. I would actually prefer Jefferson over Yarbrough. Even though his ballhandling isn't as good, Jefferson is probably the most athletic player ever to come through Arizona--he's pretty sick--not Vince Carter sick, but he's not too far off.

With the first pick, though, if Haywood were to slip I'd love to get him--he might be overrated, but I like him on the boards and around the basket better than Cato--speaking of which, when is CD going to move that guy? I don't want him to be our center of the future, I don't think he'll ever be up to it...

------------------

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Would you take Jefferson over Griffin or Morris?

------------------

17. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Lil Francis--no way in hell I take Jefferson over Griffin...not only is Griffin 6'9" but he's a LONG 6'9" plus he can add so much more to his game in th future...he's going to be a stud

I'd still take Morris over Jefferson also...all I was really trying to say about him is that if Milwaukee's pick is where I think it will be (20-25), then he would be a great pickup (mainly at the two) if Shandon were to leave...

------------------

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

nevermind,,,,

this thread is in college hoops.

i have no idea what you all are talking about.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited December 30, 2000).]

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah thats true. Jefferson looks like a dunker Morris has a more complete game. And just think if the Rockets miss the the playoffs and have a top ten pick and Milwaukees pick we would a great shot in drafting Griffin and Morris. Damn that would be sweet [​IMG]

------------------

20. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

That would be sweet, but then again why would we need two small forwards? I know Griffin's playing the 4 in college, but I'm guessing most nba people project him as a 3. But it probably doesn't matter, though, because I think to get Griffin we'd need to get lucky with the pingpong balls and land in the top three, anyway. Hell, if he'd have come out last year he probably would have been a top 10 pick.

I don't know if we'd be able to get Morris with the MIL pick, either, but it's a long way off so you never know...

------------------