1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Analytics made easy. Release 1.0 of Advanced Stats Viewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Sep 27, 2013.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Both RAPM and WS have their peculiar quirks. I prefer to go to Graphs and then plot RAPM versus WS. This reduces the effects of outliers. Choosing a position helps to clear up the players who you are not interested in. You can then make a better decision as to who is more valuable in the NBA.

A Bubble view is coming. An amazing tool. Who are the best and most productive players in the NBA? It becomes obvious.

[​IMG]

#21 jtr, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  2. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

I applaud you for incorporating graphs into your thread from the start, thereby increasing your thread rating to a steady three stars (as compared to your prior thread's two star and dropping rating that temporarily spiked when I posted in it). The Clutchfans community has spoken emphatically: it approves of graphs and it approves of statisticians who properly credit their work.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Well Thank you JCDenton. I did after a cooling off period take your criticism to heart.

1 person likes this.
  4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

This bbs just reeks of an infatuation with gossip and MSM. Just saying.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

If you go to the default graphs of the application you can easily measure the relative worth of a player when salary is taken into consideration. Top left are the most valuable players in the NBA. Low salary and major performance. We see that Howard is what I would call a fairly valued player. If you look at WoW or other sites he is mentioned as a "fairly valued player". Because he has great performance, but is also being paid a truck load of money. By the metrics on the graph Sanders is the most undervalued center in the NBA, but he just signed a new contract and next season he will slide far to the right.

You can repeat that analysis for all of the other positions.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

For this to capture a player's actual worth, wouldn't the performance metric also have to also take into account how often he's on the floor?

A player who is +4 and plays 3000 minutes is, in theory, giving more value back to his team than a player who is +6 but plays only 1500 minutes.

I came up with my own "Player Value" metric last year (link), based on xRAPM (not sure whether or not this is the same as the "RAPM" you're using). That's one approach for converting RAPM to value added, but I'm sure there are other ways to do it.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Thank you Durvasa. I have updated Tableau to reflect the problem. I coded the entire graph tab in about an hour and just did not include the minute adjusted RAPM and WS in the choices. My mistake.

And I will take a look at how you arrived at Wins Added. I have all of the information sitting in Tableau, I just need to modify the graphs to reflect it.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Graphs now use team logos when displayed.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Question: Do Lin and Harden excessively turn the ball over?

Answer: Go to Graphs and plot TOR (turn over rate) versus USG (Usage). Choose the PF and PG positions and then locate Lin and Harden on the graph. We see that neither Lin nor Harden has an excessive turn over rate compared to their peers. If they both could drop their turn over rate 2% (equivalent to one turnover every 50 possessions) they would compare favorably to the best players players at their position.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

These are cool. Thanks. As for the bubble graph, am I seeing Chris Andersen>LaMarcus Aldridge? Chris Andersen>Dirk Nowitzki? Chris Andersen>Pau Gasol? Chris Andersen>David West? Mike Conley>Tony Parker? What is this graph exactly? Still cool though.

11. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

I just came...

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It actually is the sum of base RAPM and WS. It would be more accurate if it summed Minute Adjusted RAPM and Minute Adjusted Win Share. Sorry. Durvasa pointed this error out earlier.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I have added zoom control to the graphs. It helps make sense of crowded areas.

14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I have to admit, one of the first things I did was throw up PER vs. Usage, smirk, and go "this is why I don't use PER".

Might want to check into individual zooms for each axis - I'm trying to do WS vs. salary right now and the scale of the salary variable is making it unviewable.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The 3rd control from the top allows you to use a magnifying glass to center the zoom. Does that fix the problem?

#35 jtr, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I have decided to move the normalization applied to the data from minute based to possession based. It seems to give better results from the tests I have done. A big job but someone has to do it.

17. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

What are you trying to say... ;)

Also this is very cool... and probably a lot of work went into it. Now I need to put a lot of work into understanding what all the information means!

19. verysimplejason

This is awesome. Thanks JTR. This is a lot easier to my eyes than plain numbers. Thanks again. I'd rep you if I could.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

So CLUTCH why cannot I edit this post??? If I update the cloud stored application there is a high probability that the tool will become non-functional. The multi-quote enhancement broke my ability to edit this post. And many others.