1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Analysis/Debate/Discussion - Starting PG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by matty101, Mar 25, 2009.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I don't believe it is correct to say that Lowry's D >> Aaron's. It is a more physical brand of D, but Lowry doesn't always have the quickness Aaron does.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

that's true. but the thing is, with deron, paul, parker, you need some physicality to rough them up and make them think twice about consistently driving to the basket. i mean, that's what the jazz do to us consistently right: just out-physical us. we gotta have more guys that play physical, even if they're beat off the dribble.

if we can put them both into one player, we would have a great starting PG.

3. zack2001

zack2001 Member

Why the hell we only have two options?

Can we get smone else?

hate to watch both of them losing our games

4. redao

redao Member

I believe D of a PG is an overrated skill.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Aaron has had more oppotunities and more time with the team.

Lowry's sample size is not big enough to discredit him in any way.

Lowry will be the starting PG next year, Aaron will play 15 a game in relief duty to bring instant scoring off the bench.

6. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

Reason: Aaron Brooks is almost like the second coming of Bobby Jackson. Both are short and fast, good shooters. During Adelman's tenure in Sacramento, Bobby Jackson fit the reserve PG bill perfectly, so there's no reason NOT to speculate that Adelman would at least consider replicating that with Brooks.

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Brooks is a much better ball handler and passer than BJax ever was. Brooks can actually pass as a legit point guard while BJax was strictly a combo guard.

8. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Not going to happen this late in the year. Lowry has only had a quarter of the season with the team. Next year is a whole nother story. Should be a good battle in training camp.

I do like that Adelman isn't afraid to let Lowry finish the game though.

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It would be nice to see him actually dish the ball instead of all the bounce passes. Until he does that consistantly, his PG skills will be called into question.

1 person likes this.
  10. bsugfg

bsugfg Member

WOW..WOW...WOW

IF you think Adelman would bench AB for that reason......... then you must be thinking Lowry as Mike Bibby :eek:

11. bsugfg

bsugfg Member

The fact is that Adelman DO like to use AB in a close game...
    Celtics, Spurs...etc. Even he got blocked by Tim Duncan, Adelman used him again in our game with Spurs for high PnR to create space for Yao and Scola to win the game.

12. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

what games were you watching? Ab held his own against deron. Deron scored most of his points vs lowry. When was brooks getting abused last night against Williams?. Yes, williams made a few shots, but at no time did he just go off and start lighting brooks up.

I like Lowry and brooks, unlike rafer....but like another member posted, Brooks is a better scorer than Kyle but kyle defense is better...I dont see how anybody can say kyle lowry has more potential than brooks???.....

13. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Considering how horrible Shane's offense has been this season, the Rockets cannot afford to start a point guard who cannot shoot the 3, much less a jump shot. Lowry is better suited with the bench guys.

It's Brooks' job to lose. Depending on how Brooks does in the Playoffs will definitely factor in for next season's decision of who wins out the starting spot.

14. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Brooks isn't that bad of a defender.

Brooks has to play defense with Yao Ming... who is quite possibly the worst screen-help defender in the league. 70% (a random statistic... it's not entirely true, just my own observation) of the points that opposing PGs score on Aaron Brooks is when he is getting screened. Playing alongside a guy like Yao is bad for Aaron because Yao doesn't stop the guy going around the screen.

Aaron is forced to either go under the screen, which allows the opponent to take a jumpshot, or go over the screen, which forces Yao to try and stop the drive... which he isn't good at. Either way, the other PG has a good look at the basket.

Another possible problem (although, I can't say for sure, because I don't have the luxury of listening to the players on the court) may be the lack of communication. Aaron isn't the only guy that has problems guarding against the screen with Yao. Remember the Phoenix game? Shane Battier was getting stopped by the screens as well. He couldn't stop Nash either, which leads me to believe that the problem may be Yao's lack of communication.

I will say this though. Lowry is not as good on defense as people make him out to be. He still gets beat. He plays a "physical" type of defense, but the other PG still scores on him. He's definitely a better defender than Brooks, but he's not an unbelievable one.

And honestly, I can't see Lowry outscoring anybody he faces.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It's too late into the season to tinker with the starting line up. I'm sure the rotation and main unit will be reevaluated this offseason (as it should be) but for now it makes the most sense to have the better three point shooter playing the most minutes with Yao.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Not at all, especially not in the West. Watch the Lakers the next time they play Utah, SA or NO. Fisher makes those guards work. Granted the refs allow him to be physical....

17. redao

redao Member

But Lakers always get torched by opposite PGs, including Alston.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Here's my reply:

Watch the games. The majority of the time Lowry is the better player and it is so obvious when you see both of them play. Brooks has his good shooting games about once a week and every other night he is Rafer 2.0 minus some intelligence.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

That pretty much sums up and simultaneously negates the veracity of your point.

1. +/- is a terribly flawed stat. Brooks plays with the starters more often than not. Lowry does not. If you are going to try to separate individual play from team performance, then you had better hack into Morey's servers and figure out how to do it, because frankly no one else in the world can, and maybe not even Morey and crew.

2. As others have stated, both players are on a growth curve, and Lowry much more so than Brooks since he is just getting used to our system, running our plays, and feeling out his teammates as the new floor general. Really it is going to take until next training camp to see the kind of trajectory Lowry would be on as far as the kind of level he could play at.

3. With the stats we are privy to, I'd still say PER's the best. It doesn't factor defensive play into the equation, but it certainly is a decent measure of per-minute efficiency offensively. By those numbers, Lowry is slightly ahead, with a 14.3 PER on the season compared to Brooks' 13.3. In addition, he's shooting an even 50.0% in the 19 games he's played as a Rocket, compared to Brooks' 40.5%. His A/TO ratio is 2.54 to Brooks' 1.95, and he's even got higher averages on assists and rebounds per 48 minutes, at 7.8 / 5.8 to Brooks' 5.9 / 4.0 (respectively). Unlike your comments, I won't propose that these stats encompass enough of a sample size so as to mean something, but I just wanted to demonstrate how the statistics do NOT support the idea that Brooks is better.

4. In so short a time, it's probably a better idea to go by the eyeball test when comparing the two. Yes, Lowry had an awful game against Utah. However, he did have a better game against them the first time we were in Utah a few weeks ago. Remember how he took the ball to the rim in the 4th quarter and single-handedly brought us within striking distance? Remember how he shut down Deron Williams for a good stretch before we lost? Remember how Aaron Brooks did not sniff the 4th quarter at all? Of course you don't, otherwise you wouldn't be here saying Brooks is a better match-up against Deron Williams.

So far in my eyes, Morey has acquired both Brooks and Lowry because they are good players with some very good strengths that became undervalued due to their other deficiencies (namely, height). He also conscientiously paired the two together because they represent unique styles of play that make the Rockets as a team more versatile. Brooks is undoubtedly faster and better at shooting the 3 and the free throw. Lowry is undoubtedly stronger, has the higher leap, and, from what I've seen, he seems to have better court vision as well. You can say Lowry has better defense which is why Adelman switched Brooks out on the last San Antonio play to have Lowry guard Parker, but honestly I feel that's a part of the matchup issue. Against Chris Paul for instance you might prefer to have someone like Brooks who can stay in front of him at all times, whereas against a guy like Billups you absolutely cannot afford to allow him to shoot over Brooks all day.

Who's better as a starter for this team right now? Probably Brooks, since he's been here for two years almost and knows his teammates and the system better than Lowry. Who will be better come the start of next year? I'm going to put my chips on Lowry until I see otherwise.

20. Goomboss

Goomboss Member

Personally, I think Lowry is a better pure point guard clearly with better defensive skills. However, it's surprising to me that one main point people forget is the absence of Tracy Mcgrady.

Mac always had the ball in his hands and of the three point guards, (rafer, lowry, and brooks), Brooks benefitted the most by that style of play. If you guys remember, the rockets coaching staff felt like Brooks played better with the starters. As Brooks hasn't always been looking to distribute, when he played with Mac, our backcourt was scary.

Next year, the return of a hopefully healthy T-Mac will do wonders for the style of play that Brooks will be able to play, which is one where he will primarily focus on scoring, instead of being asked to do something that he doesn't subconsciously strive to do. In the meantime, Lowry's the better pure point guard, and probably the better person to start for our team.

Just my analysis.