1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An update on Bradley Manning

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rhadamanthus, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only kind of treason that Obama is concerned with is treason against the DNC. If you betray America, then you can count on Obama coming to your aid.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a fan of this move. It seems like quite the leap to condemn Wikileaks' election meddling in the same breath as pardoning the leaker who legitimized them in the first place. Wikileaks is a hostile party to the country and this should rub a lot of people the wrong way.

I sincerely hope Manning's gender was not a factor here because it should be irrelevant.

3. TheresTheDagger

4. mtbrays

Supporting Member

5. TheresTheDagger

You're comfortable with the release of these people?

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

He sent Hillary Clinton to hit the reset button with, who then proceeded to organize protests against Vladimir Putin. Then Mitt Romney warned Obama about Russia's geopolitical threat to the US.

Given this action, you almost certainly have to scratch your head.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Good move by Obama. Better late than never.

#127 glynch, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Amiga likes this.
  8. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I'll have to do some more research; I, admittedly, have not concerned myself too much with Guantanamo prisoners. I feel like we shouldn't hold people indefinitely without formal charges, but do not know what can be done once they've already been held indefinitely for years and could likely seek retribution. It seems thorny and I don't view it as a zero-sum game. Do you have any resources you'd recommend?

When I said "hyperbole" earlier, I meant your insinuation that President Obama wants to free every enemy of the US. I pointed out three high profile cases of enemies of the state who were killed by US forces under his command and didn't mention the thousands of enemy combatants killed by drone and air strikes since 2009. The type of rhetoric you used was over-the-top and counter to reality.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well you can't very well free those who were killed, can you? I would imagine if Bin Laden had been captured instead of killed, Obama would be thinking really hard about pardoning him right now given his recent actions.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, the reason he absolutely had to commute Manning's sentence is because he very likely plans on issuing a pardon for Hillary so that she doesn't face charges. You can't very well pardon Hillary while leaving another person who willingly mishandled classified information rot in jail.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I agree but what has happened that now he's worth commuting? It's like your boss offering you a raise after you threaten to quit. "Now..." you're worth it.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

why have classified info at all, really?

this is spitting in the face of the men and women who have given their lives to obtain and protect national security secrets

13. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I disagree with the pardoning of Chelsea Manning.

I disagree with your overstatement.

Just trying to holler from across the partisan divide that I, as a liberal, do agree with you on some very real criticism of President Obama's pardon.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, honestly I'm probably just mad about this because it's a really embarrassing move....and it'll be an even more embarrassing move if he pardons Bergdahl.

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Good move. Obama has pardon more than any previous. President. A very forgiving man.

35 years is excessive.

16. TheresTheDagger

Finding information directly concerning these specific individuals is difficult. I'm also trying with little luck. Mostly, it is confusing to figure out who is left and who is being released exactly. I know these are among the final 40 or so left there so I'm assuming some of the most dangerous. I think it's a fair assumption.

Given how many convicted felons, traitors, and Guantanamo prisoners Obama has released, I think the hyperbole was appropriate.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Bergdahl should have gone tranny

No Worries likes this.
  18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is sad that Obama has taken Obama so long to do what he undoubtedly knew was right long before. Let us see what else he is now bold enough to do in his final days.

19. treeman

treeman Member

So I guess all that Snowden and Bergdahl need to do now is announce their gender confusion to the world and they can expect a pardon as well, eh?

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He should pardon snowden as well.

bnb likes this.