1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An option for our TE?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anitasri, Jan 6, 2007.

1. anitasri

anitasri Member

IT seems sixers are working out a deal to buyout Webber. Despite his losing speed etc- he is still can pull down rebounds and score. And he is a great passer.

I would never have gone this far but if we can work out a deal for a part of the TE- Webber would be a nice addition. ( Just as SA added Finley).

Obviously Webber would only be interested in Play off Bound Teams- and if he surveys the filed in the Western Conference, Rockets would be a good option.

That would mean we let go Scott Padgett. Juwan might help out in the recruiting part- this would close the gap at the PF spot- IMHO

2. anitasri

anitasri Member

Apologize if there was similar thread elsewhere- but it seemed relevant here.

3. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I personally am not too worried about the tight end position. I think our main worries right now should be a power forward and a back up center. When we do pursue a tight end, though, I hope we go after Jason Witten.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

He had problems in Philadelphia with not being enough of the focus on offense, so I'm not sure how he'd feel about playing 3rd fiddle here in Houston. If he could be had for the TE, I like the addition, but I'd still rather get a young and enthusiastic player whose ego hasn't ballooned yet. If we use that TE the guy we get with it needs to come in and actually want to play.

5. yaoza ming

yaoza ming Rookie

are you drunk man?

6. anitasri

anitasri Member

I am not suggesting the whole TE- sort of like Michael Finley. I have a feeling he should be having enough minutes at the TE spot and would be a better complement with Yao because of his rebounding. Sure the ego thing should be a concern- but I am sure Juwan will TKO him if he messes with the team. We are talking of 2 years max! Juwan owes this team !

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

At this stage of the game Webber is of limited use and would upset our chemistry more than he would help it. Let's waite for a decent player for our Starting Power Forward to come along.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with Yetti but I would prefer to wait instead :)

9. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

The Trade Exception is for trades only, and because players can't be traded if no one owns their rights, Webber would have to still be under contract to use it on him. But our TE isn't big enough to match his current contract, so we'd have to wait on that buyout and try to sign him for the minimum like every other team that's over the cap, or work with a third party that's under the cap and willing to sign him at a comparable value to our TE.

Drunk? Maybe. Hilarious? Indubitably.

:D

#9 DallasThomas, Jan 6, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  10. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

I doubt Webber wants to play behind Yao/Tmac/Bonzi

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Tell me you didn't.... :rolleyes:

12. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

haha. good joke anitasri. you had me going there.

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Webber's ankles are gone.

We need a healthy full sized 4(without a monster salary) who can D up and hit the boards.

14. jason_long

jason_long Member

no, Mr. Webber sucks. He is slow and old. I think J Ho is way better than him.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i haven't watched webber play one second this season but i wouldn't be surprised if howard is better than him at this point.

16. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

Juwan is a lot better than Webber at this point.. a lot

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I disagree with you guys. Webber is better than Juwan in rebounding, shooting, and especially passing. He is a below average man defender, just like Juwan. The only thing Juwan is better is his attitude and his willingness to listen to the coach, which is probably the most important thing on the Rockets.

18. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

We need to draft a PF for our future this year. Webber's not the answer.

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

wether Webber is better than Jho or not is a moot point.

His contract is huge, and if he gets bought out there are probably a few teams that can offer him more than us.

the TE does absolutely ZERO good for us as pointed out earlier....it is ONLY used in trades, adn it is NOWHERE near Webbers salary.

for the record....Jho is alot less likely to get injured and seems to be one of those guys that everyone on the team respects.

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

All the talk about the 76ers buying out Webber is nonsense anyway. Why would Webber take anything less than his current contract minus the vet minimum he would get from signing with another team. And if Webber holds his ground on a buyout of ~$18M/per for 2 years, why would the 76ers pay him $36M to let him walk. The 76ers may be lowballing him with say a $20M buyout but I don't think he'll go for it no matter how unhappy he is.