1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An Old Man's Opinion: Luther Head will be trade before the start of the season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Sep 8, 2006.

1. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

If it were a day after Head had scored 28 points against Dallas, we would definitely not be discussing trading him. I'm sure that after a few weeks V-Span's 22 pts against USA won't be such an important factor.

2. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

i really dont get the signing of casey jacobson. he really is not the outside shooting threat that people are making him out to be. i seen him play at pheonix, and dude is garbage.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I remember that game very well and at the post game interview Van Gundy did not look pleased about his performance at all. I remember it because I thought we had found a gem in Luther and was excited even though we lost but then Van Grumpy proceeded to speak of only missed defensive assignments and poor play and maintained his grumpy demeanor throughout. He must have felt then that Head wasn't his guy. And I felt that as long as Van grumpy is our coach we will never hear anything positive about our young guys.

Personally I like Luther I think he is a good offensive threat and he plays hard but he obviously isn't what JVG wants. So he seems like the odd man out.

#63 Old Man Rock, Sep 9, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  4. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

from the Denver Post: [link]

"The Nuggets have 14 players on their roster, including just five guards. Denver is interested in adding a veteran shooting guard and possibly a 3-point threat. Another possible shooting guard option is Nuggets free agent DerMarr Johnson. Denver could also try to deal one or more of its big men to acquire backcourt help. "

Juwan Howard & Luther Head for [Oft-Injured] Marcus Camby works under the CBA, according to RealGM. we solve the SG glut and the PF/C void with one trade.

too bad it's just a pipe dream.

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

Van Gundy didn’t want Spanoulis either, but it didn’t stop the Rockets from bringing him over.

I don’t see the Rockets trading away Head simply because I don’t think they want to end up making the same mistake with Head as they did with Mike James. Trade away a player because he doesn’t “fit” or because he doesn’t have a natural position and watch him flourish with another team.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yeah the difference is most people would agree the Rockets need help at the backup center spot and would love to dump Howard. And again the only real commodity we have is Head. Add to the fact I already heard Van Gundy give more praise to Snyder than he ever did to Head. Saying he has got the athleticism and size at the 2 that we want and he has a great opportunity to play and never mentioning Head.

As for Vspan you are correct Jeff never wanted him and he would have got his way if James would have signed. But that didn't happen and we are fortunate to have signed him before his coming out party in the WC's. Even then Van Gundy cringes about the added pressure he feels to play him not that the world knows he is the real deal. The best JVG could muster up was, "I worry about the high expectations... will see if his skills transfer to the NBA...he has a lot to learn about the NBA"

Yeah maybe there is some truth in what he says but couldn't he just once look on the bright side, see the possibilities. I get sick of his negativity. Okay I digress but suffice it to say I don't believe Head is in JVG's plans and we heard CD say before "he was not going to play him", referring to Gay and JVG got his way. So he still has more pull than you think.

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Target - Melvin Ely.

Charlotte needs help at guard, has surfiet of forwards and centers.

8. Omer

Omer Member

I don't see whats so good about Melvin Ely.

9. Aussie Dooley

Aussie Dooley Member

casey wont make it past training camp.

sura will stay in the injured list.

bowen will get cut.

head will do the job for us off the bench backing up snyder

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Trade JHo, Head, & Sura for Wally Z.

Skip KB JL3
    Wally Snyder Azubuike
    T-Mac Rybo Novak Casey
    Battier Hayes Padgett
    Yao Deke

There should be no excuses for bad 3pt shooting with that squad.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If we are gonna trade 3 players for an overpaid shooter, I'd rather trade for Raef. He gives more shotblocking and defense than Wally does.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pipe dream indeed!

However, how about Head/Howard for the Nuggets Joe Smith (and his expiring contract). That way we get a big body in Smith and he is expiring and the Nuggets get a shooter.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Danny Ainge has repeatedly said that he wants experience. Howard is that. Ainge was known, some time back, to covet Howard. Ainge has 17 players under contract.

He wants experience and a place to off-load an extra contract (+ Grant's).

Try: Howard + $3mm + 2nd for Scallabrini and Grant. You'd have a chance then.

14. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

I don't think JVG hates Luther Head as much as some of you guys think. Sure he says critical things about Head, but JVG does that about everyone on the team last year.

I think what Van Gundy did with Head is more informative than what he said about Head. When push came to shove, Van Gundy gave Head a lot of minutes, especially when the vet guards got hurt. One could say he had no choice but to give Head minutes. However, lets not forget that Van Gundy also could have given extra minutes to Stro Swift (when Yao went down) and Derek Anderson but chose not to. In the end, my belief is that Van Gundy likes Luther Head as a player (particularly for a rookie), but simply wants more size in the backcourt and doesn't think playing a 6'3'' 185 lb guy at the 2 for 30+ minutes helps the team win.

I think Head could get traded, but probably not until the preseason, when the team could better assess his growth as a player as well as what they got in the new guys (Span, Jacobsen, Azubuike, etc).

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Old Man Rock I will bet you whatever you want that he will not be traded before the start of the season.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sammy, Sammy don't make that bet. It's even money OMR is correct.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Van Gundy has said plenty of complementary things about Head too. He knows Head is a viable NBA player. He just feels like he is backup material and we really needed starters last year.

18. uchlha

uchlha Member

scalibrini is just like jerome james, overpaid and does nothing

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What is the big deal about Melvin Ely?

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

JJ is supposed to have been 'the answer' at the 5, and is being paid accordingly.

BS is supposed to be a benchie providing energy, some spark, and as many OR AS FEW minutes as is required on a given nite. he is not an answer, but he would actually be an OK rotation guy. He was a Morey choice BTW.