1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An idea for the point guard issue (Penny Hardaway)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tannersearle78, Nov 20, 2003.

1. tannersearle78

Okay, sorry. Bad idea.

It was just a thought.

I do like Cat. I was just thinking about what would be best for the team. But age is a factor, and Penny is no spring chicken. Cat would be a safer investment in the long run. I just don't get why Phoenix pays Hardaway so much money to ride the bench.

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Why not just pick up Tim Hardaway for cheap. He did such a good job at the end of the season for the Pacers. He's just as good as Penny IMHO.

3. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Houston trades: Eddie Griffin ( ppg, rpg, apg in minutes)
    PG Moochie Norris (3.5 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 2.5 apg in 15.4 minutes)
    PF Maurice Taylor (9.2 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 0.8 apg in 21.8 minutes)
    Houston receives: SG Anfernee Hardaway (5.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.7 apg in 18.5 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -7.7 ppg, -3.4 rpg, and -1.6 apg.

Phoenix trades: SG Anfernee Hardaway (5.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.7 apg in 18.5 minutes)
    Phoenix receives: Eddie Griffin ( ppg, rpg, apg in games)
    PG Moochie Norris (3.5 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 2.5 apg in 11 games)
    PF Maurice Taylor (9.2 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 0.8 apg in 5 games)
    Change in team outlook: +7.7 ppg, +3.4 rpg, and +1.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

I remember when the Rockets and Magic squared off for the championship 1994-1995 season. Penny Hardaway was an all-star. He's a step slower today, yes. But I would strongly consider him if it means better ball movement for the Rockets.

4. Sane

Sane Member

I'd LOVE to have him, but not for that kind of contract and not if it meant Mobley would be on the Suns.

Mobley's style fits the Suns nicely, and I think his presence would raise them up a notch.

If New York loses out on Crawford, maybe they'll go after Penny? If they can pull off something like Shandon, Ward, and Doleac for Penny, I think both teams would go for it. Ward can be released for 2M, Doleac is in the best shape of his career and in the final year of his contract, and Shandon can be their backup 2/3 (I know his contract is bad, but it's less than half of Penny's). The Suns gain financial flexibility, a big body, and a backup 2/3.

New York finally gets someone to play PG, and IMO, can contend for a top 3 spot if McDyess is even decent:

Mutombo/Kurt Thomas
    McDyess/Kurt Thomas/Sweetney
    Van Horn/Weatherspoon/Sweetney
    Houston/Penny
    Penny/Eisley/Williams

They'd probably have to go out and sign someone who'll play 10-15 minutes at the 2/3, but that's 5 solid starters, and Kurt Thomas off the bench. They have'nt had a better team since Larry Johnson was healthy.

5. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Does this answer your ridiculous thread idea?

P.S. especially for players averaging 5.6 points and 1.4 assists, as Hardaway was entering this week

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Houston trades: Eddie Griffin ( ppg, rpg, apg in minutes)
    John Amaechi ( ppg, rpg, apg in minutes)
    PG Moochie Norris (3.5 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 2.5 apg in 15.4 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.9 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 0.6 apg in 31.3 minutes)
    PF Maurice Taylor (9.2 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 0.8 apg in 21.8 minutes)
    Houston receives: PF Amare Stoudemire (16.4 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 36.0 minutes)
    PF Tom Gugliotta (2.5 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 10.0 minutes)
    SG Anfernee Hardaway (5.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.7 apg in 18.5 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +4.3 ppg, -1.2 rpg, and -1.2 apg.

Phoenix trades: PF Amare Stoudemire (16.4 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 36.0 minutes)
    PF Tom Gugliotta (2.5 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 10.0 minutes)
    SG Anfernee Hardaway (5.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.7 apg in 18.5 minutes)
    Phoenix receives: Eddie Griffin ( ppg, rpg, apg in games)
    John Amaechi ( ppg, rpg, apg in games)
    PG Moochie Norris (3.5 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 2.5 apg in 11 games)
    C Kelvin Cato (6.9 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 0.6 apg in 11 games)
    PF Maurice Taylor (9.2 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 0.8 apg in 5 games)
    Change in team outlook: -4.3 ppg, +1.2 rpg, and +1.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston and Phoenix being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and Phoenix had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out unless trade exceptions were used for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

------------

Only Stoudemire would be a sufficient sweetener for the deal in order to swallow Penny's ridiculous contract and to make my tears about losing Cato go away. Gugliotta's contract runs out this season.

In other words - there is no way any team will take on Penny's contract.

7. Grydian

Grydian Member

I would definatly do it... Mooch is a black hole... armachi is doing NOTHING... all we do is add a player who might help out... But if Cat is involved its not worth it.

I suspect that ur proposal is not that far off from possibility.

8. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

This thread reminds me of the one about how bad this board has denerated qualitatively....

People, why trade for a 13-15 million a year player that is 32 years old and marginally healthy? Didn't we just trade one of those to Utah? Does "especially for players averaging 5.6 points and 1.4 assists, as Hardaway was entering this week" mean anything?

:rolleyes:

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

YES

I like this trade and actually mentioned it during last season. Giving up Mobley is probably too much, but Penny is exactly the guy we need. He knows how to run the offense, he's a veteran, and he's big enough to gaurd the 2 spot.

Maybe we can give them Griffin and some other crap and they get to clear off some salary.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, you would also throw away the difference in money between Moochie's and Hardaway's contract which probably comes to about $ 30 million until both contracts are up (didn't do the exact calculation), and you would kill our cap.

I'm sure Les would be delighted.

11. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

In an attempt to post as often as you, but with more quality...

I ask you to really think about this nonsense:

Boy that's deep... please explain it to someone that doesn't post as often as you?

:p

12. Grydian

Grydian Member

it gets rid of mooch who is killing our cap as we speek. hardaway will be a FA before mooch is... all it does is add 7 mill to the payroll.. we already are over the cap... with the byrd rights we will be fine...

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What does it have to do with Bird rights? You want to resign Hardaway after his contract is up?

Here is the math:

From the beginning of this season, Mooch was still owed 15.45 mio. on his contract, Amaechi 2.61 Mio.

Hardaway was still going to get 43.875 mio. on his contract.

Difference: $ 25.815 mio (so I was a bit off with the 30 mio.)

So "all it does is add 7 mill to the payroll"?

14. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

That is one of the dumbest trade ideas ever!!!!:p
    Are you happy now?

I actually would not give up Mobley for Penny. I think we should basically stick with what we have now unless someone gives us an offer that's too good to be true.

15. Mr. Clutch

Other crap= Moochie, draft picks, etc. Basically we give them crap, but they get to clear salary room to pick up free agents next yaer.

16. Grydian

Grydian Member

actualy here is how I look at it....

we add 21 mil for 3 year total to the payroll... the trade exemption... Hardaway is a FA at the beging of the 2006 season... Mooch would still be owed 8 mil for the reamining two years... thats 13 mil we are adding actualy not 25...

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Your numbers are totally wrong. Also, it is kind of incomprehensible what you are trying to say.

18. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Why, o why would they want our crap?

They are a playoff team trying to go back and they need our crap for what "we" perceive as an overpriced point guard savior??

I still don't get the point in these threads? We're 8-3, what are they? We don't need their overpriced, broke down, old junk...

:rolleyes:

19. Mr. Clutch

Have you seen Penny's contract? They would love to get rid of it.

20. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I dont think Penny is that bad man, but i like the trade only if he got payed a little less, i would do it but theres no way he is worth over 10 mil a year, sorry :( Good trade though, nice try :)