1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An Honest Assesment of Shane Battier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rwienert, Jan 16, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, advanced stats(the same stats that bow down to Battier for the past few years) are also saying that Battier's pretty crappy this year. If you want to say that Battier has sucked this year, then you are correct. And one that even Morey would likely have trouble arguing with you.

If aelliot is arguing against that, then the data supports you.

But if he's arguing that we can't conclude that Battier's washed, then I agree with him. There may be mitigating circumstances that we don't know about. And on this point I trust Morey to make the right decisions.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Do you have a link to the advanced stats? I don't really know where to go to find all that info. I was arguing that Battier is in decline, not that he was washed up -- but as aelliot pointed out, those numbers may be skewed because of the absence of Yao.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Wonderful guy, great personality, coach on the court, smart, crafty, etc, etc. BUT, never a big fan. Never thought he was a starter, does many little things well, but, overall, IMO, does too little offensively. When I saw that the Rockets had selected Gay, I was overjoyed, the Rockets horrific draft history was over. Finally a decent pick; I wake up the next morning and we have Battier. I have never gotten over it; huge letdown. I think Shane is one of the most overrated players on the Rockets, especially since he has lost a step. He is overvalued about as much as Scola is undervalued. However, he will be a great coach one day.

#223 solid, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  4. meh

meh Contributing Member

You can try

http://www.82games.com/0910/09HOU5.HTM
    http://www.82games.com/0809/08HOU9.HTM
    http://www.82games.com/0708/07HOU12D.HTM

^
    The last 3 seasons of Battier. For a very simple stat among the mass of numbers, look up the on court/off court stats.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/battish01.html

^
    Look to the very bottom for his accomplishments. I guess the big stat is win shares(WS). Which is suppose to measure how many wins a player contributes to the team that season. Battier's win shares, especially on defense, has always been amazingly high for a role player. Last season was kind of off due to missing 1/4 of the season and playing injured for a while.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Im not going to get into who led the rockets to the 2nd rd. Yao was part of it, but if brooks is replaced by anyone else ,the rockets dont win that series. I dont think he will be big z like, but i dont think he will be the first and primary option on a consistent basis especially against teams that front him. Regardless of whether the rockets get that dynamic player people crave, i think yao's touches and shots are going to go down.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

So we keep battier because when yao comes back(from injury) we become title contenders? **** makes no sense.

Trade battier for some 2nd round picks.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

yea 2nd round picks

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You think they can give us less? Ok, a 3 round pick?

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Nah, i thnk we should go for 4th round picks, let's get a bunch of those

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. I should know better than anyone especially on this board that height isnt indicative of true length. If I had to cast a certain body type for a defensive role, I'd go with the wiry agile Trevor Ariza types myself actually. My comment was more to credit Battier than to down anyone else.

11. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Trade Shane Battier.

Enough with the bs intangibles argument. It's not what the team truly needs and even if its, it ain't worth $6 million. We can make these intangible arguments for anyone on the team. No offense but Battier's defense doesn't really mean squat when his guy is still dropping 30+ against us.

Fact, we just signed a young athletic Trevor Ariza. Ariza cannot play SG. He has no ball handling skills and he's relying too much on his below .500 outside shot. IMO he would be a lot more comfortable at the SF position which he played with the Lakers. With that said, Ariza or Battier at SF? I choose Ariza. Battier deserves to start and should, be with another team.

As of now, the only thing I see even close to a SG on this team is Aaron Brooks.

12. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

You say he's offensively limited and to a degree that is true. But you got to realize that his 3-point percentage is amazing considering that most of his shots come at the very end of the shot clock.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

so you expect for ariza to become a low post player because he switches to the SF spot?? think again, at either spot he is what he is. his dribbling won't improve and he'll keep jacking up shots. The days were the high scoring player was the "shooting" guard are over. Now it canbe anyone on the court. Right now Ariza believe to was told his role was to be that guy who shoots and scores, it's not gonna change because you slide him over one spot on the starting lineup.

the solution is simple, wait for tmac's replacement and yao. not sure what all the fuzz is about. next year everyone will be talking about how these role players are perfect for the team, blah blah...it's funny the changes two allstars can bring to a team..

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I would love to have a pietrus,barnes,posey or afflalo over battier. But there not classy enough for some fans (they have tattoos) and they're "thugs". They would bring some real toughness that left with Artest the thug who majored in mathematics.

15. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

maybe. maybe not. it's not like battier post up much either. just simply comparing the two. ariza over battier at SF.

16. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

All those guys make less $ than Battier, none of them cost a lottery pick, and with the exception of Afflalo, they've all played well when its counted the most (in the playoffs).

17. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

Just stop taking him seriously. He posts out of pure hate, and there's no reasoning behind his posts other than a biased opinion.

18. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

C: Yao/Hayes
    PF: Scola/Landry
    SF: Ariza/Budinger
    SG: McGrady's replacement/2010 first round pick
    PG: Brooks/Lowry

I'm sorry no minutes for Battier. Another draft pick won't hurt. :cool:

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

you can't honestly think they'll go for another swingman in the draft? They still have JT waiting and Von Wafer is probably being considered too....they need to draft a young center, who's gonna be a solid back up, but with potential to be a starter....DA won't be around forever. you're also assuming we're not giving up anyone to get Tmacs replacemnt, but tmac.