1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amick: Rockets expect Howard to opt out this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Dec 16, 2015.

?

What do you think will happen this summer?

Poll closed Dec 23, 2015.
  1. Rockets will give him a max offer and he'll accept

10.4%
  2. Someone will offer more than Houston and he'll accept their offer

27.9%
  3. He'll take less to stay in Houston

16.2%
  4. He'll take a less to go elsewhere

7.1%
  5. He'll opt in

6.5%
  6. He'll be gone by then (trade)

31.8%
  1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think no. Max for him is $31m out of a ~$90m cap. I know people will be getting ridiculous deals from all the spending room teams have, but spending over a third of your allowance on a guy with so many question marks on his health, has never been an offensive force, and is having a pretty pedestrian season is probably not where the market will be. I think he'll get paid roughly what he's paid now.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, Donald Fegan says to Howard, "We should opt out this year for a long term contract, but we need better numbers from you."

Howard: "Won't wins and playoff success work?"

Fegan: "What wins? I don't see many wins? Maybe we can blame it on the coaches, Harden, your usage rate and that you're unhappy in Houston. It worked before."

Howard: "hmmm, OK. But as long as I didn't say that."

Fegan: "Don't worry, I'll get someone like Sheridan to say it for you."

2 people like this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Repped. Because it's pretty close to what I thought.

Howard ain't gowanns to get paid with these numbers. Part of it is hardheadedness (he'd be killing it if he understood his limitations on the offensive end and did more pick and roll), part of it is the inept/selfish play of the guards.

But he's aiming at one last good contract and games of 4 points 4 rebounds won't get it done.

4. conquistador#11

it's either option 2 or option 6 on the poll. either way, he, and those sexy shoulder who have never set a screen and roll, will not be in houston. =(

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Clint Capela's play is 1 reason Houston should trade Dwight Howard: <a href="https://t.co/O1Nx7SJ3YM">https://t.co/O1Nx7SJ3YM</a> (In)

(via <a href="https://twitter.com/bball_ref">@bball_ref</a>) <a href="https://t.co/Sj2Is37pGg">pic.twitter.com/Sj2Is37pGg</a></p>&mdash; Kevin Pelton (@kpelton) <a href="https://twitter.com/kpelton/status/677548854586318848">December 17, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pretty much this.

7. malakas

malakas Member

there will be teams with 60+ millions to spend this offseason that WILL HAVE to be spent. You can't NOT spend it.
    Would you rather give Howard a 2 year 31 million contract + a team option Or pay let's say Big Al 15 per and Jones 16 per?
    A lot of teams will prefer to take a chance with Howard esp since he shows up in the playoffs.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

btw: If Howard wants to sabotage possible trades, he releases his intent to Opt-Out, which would turn off all teams who otherwise can't attract Howard as a pure free agent.

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

Year No.1 of that new deal would be worth 31 million?

I know there is the spike in the salary cap, and I know at one point in time (maybe around 2006-2012 or so?) he would have been worth that much. But not anymore. Would anyone actually pay him that?

10. DuDDleyDawsonII

LOL at trading him to Orlando.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

neat stat...but all those players, except Dawkins, played around 30 mins or more. Clint is just short of 20. He's doen fine, when he's played 30 mins +, but it's only happened once or twice. Needs to do it more.

12. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Less per year, but 5 yr deal maybe?

13. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Howard wants to play for a contender, so if he leaves Houston, it won't be for a max contract with an abysmal team. Money isn't the issue.

14. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Clint is still 2-3 yrs away to really become a consistent force at C