1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Amick] LeBron James' free agency: Kawhi Leonard, Chris Paul or Paul George could sway decision

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you think that's more important to him than the chance of winning and protecting his legacy?

I'm not saying that it's not, I'm just not prepared to assume that playing where his family lives is worth throwing away the rest of his career.

Raisin likes this.
  2. aroundtheblock2

A little secret: lebron has had a home in l.a. for a long time as he's spent many offseasons in l.a. His homes in l.a. are neither unique or new. It's just a convenient factoid to support the media narrative of LeBron to L.A.

D-rock and Raisin like this.
  3. rocketseagles07

The other thing you aren’t mentioning is maybe bron thinks he’ll be able to lure free agents to the lakers.

I 100% believe that we’re the best spot for him but it’s not a GUARANTEE that will be the case a year or two from now if he goes there.

J Sizzle likes this.
  4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

James Harden is still in his prime years and Morey is one of the best GM’s in the league. Houston is the right choice

DonKnock, Coco Afable and Raisin like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What free agents? The talk is that Paul George is leaning towards staying in OKC, CP3 is staying in Houston....so we're talking Boogie Coustins?

Also, with the Rockets, in a year or two Harden would still be here, CP3 would still be here, Capela would still be here and Lebron could still be here if he wanted to....how is that not the best situation anymore?

On top of that, we've already been over how he's looking at being 34 this season, how many seasons can he afford to waste? How many more years of top performance does he have left in him? Kind of seems like one hell of a risk to not be in "win now" mode

Coco Afable and Raisin like this.
  6. rocketseagles07

I said maybe bron thinks that... I never said I think that

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fine, and you could be right, it's possible he does think that. I was just trying to figure out why he might think that logically given what we know. To me it doesn't make a lot of sense, but we've seen players in the past make seemingly illogical choices before so that doesn't really mean anything.

8. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I'm well aware, I just think that makes it an easier permanent move for him. If he already had 2 mansions in Houston, I'd be saying the same thing about relocating and playing for the Rockets.

9. forchette49

I do think that his family's happiness is more important to him than getting more rings. I think his legacy is more or less set, warts and all. I think he realizes that even though his family is more than taken care of financially, that they have sacrificed in some way not always having dad and husband LeBron around as he traveled for all these years. "LaVar James" is right around the corner and I bet he can't wait. I'm just speculating and putting myself in his shoes plus piggybacking off his own interviews and the talking heads on ESPN.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, I disagree not only that his legacy is set but also that he'd be fine wasting the rest of his career in LA. I think if that's actually how he was thinking he'd just retire. Continuing to play for loser teams only hurts him.

That said, we only have a few days left before we know for sure, I'm going to try and be patient till then.

Bobsputin likes this.
  11. forchette49

If you're a gambling man, LeBron to Houston has some great odds on all the sports books. You should look into it.

Bobbythegreat and Fullcourt like this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I've asked this multiple times before with no response -

In terms of Lebron staying in Cleveland , its widely reported that there is a rift between he and Dan Gilbert.

If that is indeed factual - Can you really see him remaining in Cleveland ??

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t see anyone who legitimately thinks he’s staying in Cleveland.

14. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Yes if he decides to sign another 1 year deal and see how it goes again.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He wouldn't have to sign anything, just opt in to the last year of his deal.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

I was thinking if he decided to stay, he would have opted out already if he needed more time to decide, then re-sign with them on a 1+1 again.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's certainly possible but I think he'll have his mind made up in the next few days.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think in terms of legacy, LeBron is going to West. He knows that even if he does get back to the Finals a 9th straigh time, whatever team he takes with him (with the exception of Boston) from the East will get torched by the Warriors or the Rockets. Winning a 4th ring with two coming from taking down the Warriors would at least make his Finals W/L a bit more palatable for the media and fanboys to argue upon.

That being said, LeBron must have already done his homework on how a team of him, Kawhi and George can beat the Warriors if it does truly go down that way. Even that three headed swingman monster is not a 100% lock because they would have zero bench, a shaky head coach (thereby a shaky offense), and a team that will take some time to gel. The last one is critical because while LeBron can fit into any offensive system, it's asking a lot to get immediate results (e.g. championship) in year 1. I think that's important to him because I don't think he wants to waste one more year and watch the Warriors hoist up a 4th trophy during his career.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't see him signing more that 1+1 no matter where he goes.

My big question is on the relationship between he and Gilbert - if its as bad as the media painted during the season - I don't see him staying.

That brings us to the next question -

If he's in championship mode , can the Lakers build a team capable of beating both the 65 win Rockets and a team who won 73 games not too long ago and has won 3 of the last 4 chips , the last one sweeping Lebron's Cavs and being 8-1 over those same Cavs in the last two title series?.

A Lebron led Lakers team might not be a top 4 seed in the west …. That doesn't sound like "Championship Mode" to me.

(correct me if I'm wrong there - show me what the Lakers can realistically build around him that puts them on par with 65 & 73 win teams and the two best offenses in the history of the league)

steddinotayto likes this.