1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

America's New Concentration Camp System

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jun 23, 2019.

1. HTM

HTM Member

That's a broad brush and I appreciate the time it took to put that together.

There are many things to discuss in what you just wrote but more specifically, almost 133,000 migrants crossed the border last month and were detained by CPB.

What do we do with them? As far as I can tell you have two options 1. detain them or 2. let them disseminate into the country. I think detention is the appropriate measure, I would like to see that done as humanely as possible, most everyone would but DHS and CPB are not set up for, nor currently equipped to absorb those kinds of bodies and I'm sure they are doing their best to provide for these people but unfortunately sometimes the conditions will be inadequate.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don’t think you are saying open border is a requirement for children’s non-mistreatment. Are you? It comes across that way when the two issues are tied together. They are two separate issues.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not sure what refugee camps you have visited in your life, but they are like small cities and they aren't held in cells and they are allowed to wonder. There can even been schools and market places in them. Not saying they are a utopia or even pleasant - but they are sure better than how those children are being treated at the border.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am hoping he isn't giving it a casual "hand wave" because the "DHS and CBP isn't prepared for it. and "unfortunately the conditions are inadequate".

5. HTM

HTM Member

You can have children detained and treated appropriately. I hope that is done as expeditiously as possible.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

They aren't crossing the border illegally. They are doing so at the border crossing as asylum seekers.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

So you support open borders?

8. HTM

HTM Member

That's not correct.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration

"In May, 132,887 people were apprehended between ports of entry on the Southwest Border"

9. HTM

HTM Member

No. I did not indicate that in any way.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It is not illegal to cross the border and request asylum. This has been international law recognized by the US since WWII.

11. HTM

HTM Member

And had turned into a total farce.

Astrodome likes this.
  12. MystikArkitect

I think we all would’ve doubted the rise of racism, antisemetism and Nazis in this country a few years back.

Yet here we are. Here’s to hoping the real right can reclaim their party.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Nazis have taken over the Republican party?

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Regardless of your opinion, it is not illegal to seek asylum.

15. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, if you want to be technical, you are still violating the law if you illegally enter the United States and then apply for asylum. You’ve illegally entered the United States.

16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Manufactured crisis.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

summary of refugee and asylum issues in the U.S., including the question of "affirmative asylum" versus "defensive asylum":

Affirmative vs. Defensive Asylum

An individual seeking entry with a visa or already present in the United States may decide to submit an asylum request through the affirmative process with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). However, if a foreign national has no lawful means of entering the country and asks for asylum, or if he or she is apprehended as an unauthorized migrant and an asylum request is filed, the case is adjudicated in immigration court, as part of a defensive application. For both defensive and affirmative applications, the person is obligated to file for asylum within one year of entering the country.

During an affirmative asylum interview, an asylum officer will determine whether the applicant meets the definition of a refugee. An asylum application may be approved, denied, or sent to the courts for further review. If a claim is denied in immigration court, an applicant may appeal for additional hearings with the Board of Immigration Appeals or, in some cases, with federal courts.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/refugees-and-asylees-united-states

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

They aren't being charged with a crime. At the point of seeking asylum, they are not considered illegal. You can make up whatever rules fits your world view, but legally, they are not illegal.

19. HTM

HTM Member

Whether they are being charged or not is irrelevant. I’m not making anything up. You can look into yourself if you’d like but you’ll find your wrong.

20. MystikArkitect

Just complicit members that give Nazis the confidence to be more public.