1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American Racism

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, May 28, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Everything in this universe has to do with causality.

Nook likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you will never face racism or hatred from the 99ers

RayRay10, Reeko and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I can agree with that. That doesn’t mean what action is first though. Behavior or treatment

4. fchowd0311

So what action is "first" here. Black people just have "bad culture". That is what came first?

5. fchowd0311

Glad to hear that from our elders like @tinman

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Your claim was people were conditioned to behave a certain way, my claim is behavior created a stereotype that has some truth.

Bottom line is it’s probably some combination of the two

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we only hate non rockets fans who troll on clutchfans
    those people are basically breaking the universal law

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. fchowd0311

So you do believe that some of the blame has to do with some predisposition of black humans.

The stereotype of the violent dumb black person was created so that the United States could justify free labor to fuel their economy. That is how the stereotype formed and it has lingered and stuck with that community for almost half a millennium.

Nook and Rocket River like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It may have been created as a tool to discredit, yes. It’s also something that is perpetuated by a lot of culture today as well.

Like I said, we will disagree here. I tend not to blame the past for people’s actions in the now. Which is why I said stereotypes tend to have some truth behind them. This isn’t specific to black stereotypes, it’s all stereotypes.

10. fchowd0311

SO again you don't believe in causality?

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Real talk, that's one piece of the puzzle and a lot from the media. But there is a prevalence amongst whites to see blacks as inferior in not just morality but intelligence and culture as well. I've see it first hand in corporate environments where a woman who came into interview had impeccable credentials but because she had gold fingernails and looked ethnic made people feel uncomfortable that she'd fit in with our "culture". That's an example of bias.

People don't like what's different from them. That's the real root of it all. Police officers have no need to use excessive force on a man already in handcuffs - there's no justification for that - no fear element, no safety issue - nothing. A man in handcuffs is not a threat to officiers.

Here's the real talk. Many people just don't like blacks. And they make excuses - their culture, their family values, crime stats or whatever. But the truth is they just don't like how blacks are different. They look different, they act different, and they don't feel comfortable around them.

That's the reality.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, is there no gray area with you?

Every action (including something that happened 400 years ago) has a reaction?
    What my ancestors did has no bearing on any choices I make today, period.

13. fchowd0311

You actually believe this?

If Muslim invaders didn't invade the Indian subcontinent hundreds of years ago, I wouldn't be raised Muslim and most likely would be raised Hindu and that difference would obviously make me experience different things resulting in different choices. Just a small example. Your take is pretty naive.

Nook likes this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I thought this was clear. :)

It was true then. It's not close to being true now

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And your take passes the buck. You have a choice to be Muslim or not. No one makes you do anything.

16. fchowd0311

I'm referring to being raised Muslim. You think decisions are made in isolated bubbles. Also the vast majority of religious followers are followers of that religion because they were born into it. I'm sorry, but the odds of you following a specific religion when your parents indoctrinated it to you since child birth greatly increases.

To think it's so easy to just leave a belief system you were born and raised in shows how difficult of a concept causality is for you to understand.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, so you were raised Muslim. As an adult you’re making the conscious choice to maintain that religion. No one is forcing you to.
    People that commit crimes may have been raised a certain way, they’re still making the choice to commit a crime. Normalization or dismissing that behavior isn’t something that should be accepted.
    Just like what that cop did to Floyd shouldn’t be accepted.

B@ffled likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

You again are confusing me with saying normative statements about looting, theft etc.

Changing systemic wide spread behavior or trends with "ought" statements seems like a pointless exercise. Everyone agrees that destroying other people's property is not justified. The people who engage in these actions should be prosecuted. Pretty damage, theft crimes etc should always be enforced.

At a certain point, b****ing about culture and incessantly making "ought" statements about groups of people makes me conclude the motive is to be on a high horse rather than actually having a desire to solving problems.

If I was in that community and a part of it, I would address my fellow community members quite differently than I would address the problem from the outside and making claims about wide spread systemic issues. If I was involved in that community personally I would urge and beg these people to do peaceful protests. But me b****ing about them doing it on a online forum when this is a discussion of problems and solutions just makes it seem like I'm on a high horse rather than actually caring about solving these problems.

This issue will NEVER be solved by outside groups who haven't experienced what poor urban black communities experienced telling them that "looting is bad".

This is why I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of causality. Let me ask you this question. Who is more likely to be a Muslim as a adult: Someone who was raised in a Muslim household or someone who wasn't? I know the answer is obvious but hopefully you understand the point of that question.

As adult humans, our decision making is filtered through our experiences, how we were raised, who raised us etc. In the grand scheme of things, humans have very little free will.

19. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The documentary I watched made your summary pretty silly... They used a scenic background score saying things like "The Moghuls not only commissioned the Taj Mahals but brought with them a new religion to the region, Islam". Is your surname 'Khan' by any chance?

20. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

How do you explain the atheist who grew up Catholic? Free will, bro. Embrace it. Don't LET someone or some circumstance get in your way. It's all about perspective.