1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American police shoot, kill and imprison more people than other developed countries. Here's the data

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Jun 8, 2020.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I am not saying it doesn’t matter. Look at my posting history about guns. I am saying there are bigger issues here. A big part of it comes down to the police culture here that exists. The training of shooting first in police training. The police unions protect their own over everything. Saying it is about guns I think discounts what I see is the bigger issues at stake.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

South of the border if you speak Spanish and you walk the walk you get absorbed into the 'Mexicano' identity for the most part. I don't know about Canada. In the U S of A, gun culture took root mainly after the Civil War when white people, both Southern and Northern, became threatened by a larger free black population.

#22 Sanctity, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Undoubtedly, improvements like seriously upgrading our training, holding cops accountable for crimes would help a ton, and is completely necessary.

That being said, we're talking about slightly different things here, I was talking about homicides in general, you are talking more strictly about cop shootings (which this thread is about) and the two are definitely connected (more people killing, more guns in Americans hands, naturally the more nervous the cops are). Cops killed 1k people last year, in 2018 we had over 16k homicides independent of cop killings.

I don't think there are bigger issues than the number of guns, our gun culture, poverty, and inequality when it comes to our high murder rate.

RayRay10 and AleksandarN like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah take a look at a country like Spains history lol

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

They had Berbers/Moors come threw and dominate with their culture and religion. But then you have an original population that migrated to the British Isles to become the original Celts prior to being intermingled with the Scandinavians to create the current population.

#25 Sanctity, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So... how exactly do we define diversity, what's significant and what's not? When do people start killing each at an accelerated rate in your mind?

A question that's nearly impossible to answer with any confidence of objectivity.

Do you know the majority of Mexican Americans considered themselves white? Tell a good ol boy that **** and it would break his brain.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Oh, and a bit more complicated than that.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Black people need to avoid over priced corner stores.

Those places breed trouble from car accidents and unnecessary price disputes and allegations of theft.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When everything is a crime . . .. . .
    We need to decriminalize alot of ****

Some things are Rude or annoying. . . but they should not be crimes

Rocket River

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. sw847

sw847 Member

Personally I don’t understand the whole gun culture in America. Sincere question...I am supportive of recreational guns like hunting rifles and all, but what’s the use of pistols/automatic rifles and such?
    I heard the argument of defending yourselves against the government, but civilians won’t stand a chance against the military.
    Personal protection against illegal firearms? Look at all the developed countries around the world without guns, it doesn’t really have a high Murder rate. Also isn’t protection the police’s job? Oh wait....

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. sw847

sw847 Member

Don’t get me wrong, i am in no way supportive/sympathetic towards police brutality/racism.

But I really want to know the number of police killed/injured/shot at by different races. Are black criminals/Latinos/ Asians more likely to shoot and kill police than white people? I tried to look up the stats but can’t find any. Are American police more likely to be killed in the line of duty than other countries? Just trying to find some reason behind all these police shootings.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

In the "Police at risk" portion, it would seem being a police officer is a pretty dangerous occupation - either accidentally or intentionally harmed, police work in this country is not for the faint hearted.
    In a way, I can understand the incidences of unwarranted deaths of non police by police.
    If you declaw the cops, the death rate for cops most likely goes higher and no one is going to want to be a policeman.
    Then who you gonna call?
    Tough spot to be in for all of us.

14. Buck Turgidson

This is not true.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

No pharmaceutical regulation? No FDA inspections? Everyone's just on their own?

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

You have a very different concept of "diversity" than I do, apparently.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

**** man, of course.

Its a seriously subjective thing of how much value do you personally put into different types of diversity. Some may think the diversity of language is the biggest thing, others diversity of skin color, others diversity of religion, diveristy of body and facial features and hair texture, it goes on and on.

All I know is a bunch of ****ing smart doods ran some BIG DATA through a computer and it says statistically, Mexico and Canada are more culturally and ethnically diverse... and you know what?

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

For medical stuff sure ... we need regulation there.

Getting high shouldn't be illegal. You wanna smoke crack - go for it. Wanna shoot speedballs , have at it. Darwinism.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm sure the stats are out there somewhere.

But, overall, how dangerous is policing? I don't think it even crack the top 10 the last time I checked. In some years, according to FBI data, more cops die from auto accident than from being shot and killed. Each cops killed in duty is sad and is always a huge story, so the perception is it's a big issue, when it's not. And it certainly is not an excuse to generalize and treat a whole race differently. But that's not even it... while police treat dark-skinned worse, they can abuse everyone, no matter your race. Power trip. That culture of abuse and non-accountability needs to stop. The good news is the majority of cops are good people, but the bad news is the culture is bad, the system is bad, the accountability is non-existence and a few bad apples is creating a bad situation for all. The solution isn't just to go after the few apples - you will never get rid of them all. The solution needs to be system level change that promote better culture, more effective policing and fair accountability.

RayRay10 likes this.