1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American Gangster

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Oct 13, 2007.

1. JamesC

JamesC Member

American Gangster was on point. Denzel is one of the coldest actors out there.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

No babysitter?

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Good movie, and I enjoyed it. But I was slighlty disappointed because I had high expectations. Very good gangster movie, but not on par with the greats.

Still recommend seeing it to everyone.

4. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Already got the Jay-Z album American Gangster which doesn't drop until next Tuesday and it's pretty good. I like American Dreamin', Roc Boys, and Blue Magic best.

Here's a link to a download for his album, you need WinRar to unRar it

5. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

saw the interview on channel 8 with the writers and the actualy guys who washington and crowe play. it was awesome. made me wanna see the movie

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

So what are they up to now? They kind of left that out of the movie, but would have been nice to know.

7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I saw it yesterday and must I am impressed by this movie. It really hits you when you realize it was all based on a true story. Denzel is electric in this movie, no regret no remorse in his character. Just cold hard gangster who is more of a business entrepreneur than a drug trafficking criminal. Everything I expected from him in this role. Now Russell can be a bit disappointing because his character is cliche of the rogue cop drama and adds nothing new to the story. His work is ahead of his family so he is getting a divorce yada yada. Nothing new and his acting at times is flaky lacking intensity. So I think Denzel will be the only one with a legit shot at an Oscar nomination. Overall excellent movie that I would recommend to anyone who loves gangster movies.

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

best picture favorite....it reminded me of lord of war (not the plot, but the type of movie)

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

yeah and the last samurai is tom cruise...and brad pitt is the mexican

(paul mooney)

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I was pretty disappointed with this movie. All the hype was way overblown. Two great actors and their characters don't even know about each other for most of the movie, what a waste.

For a great movie, go see Into the Wild.

11. New Jack

New Jack Member

I was pretty disappointed as well. The movie was severely lacking in suspense. At no point, did I find myself on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen to the characters. I really didn’t care what happened to them. As far as “cat and mouse” mob movies go, I prefer The Departed.

12. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

this is exactly what i thought. just a dragged out movie plot wise but i do agree the acting was good by denzel but when isnt he good?

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I was able to get my hands on a DVD copy of American Gangster that was released for reviewers. It's a legit copy from the studio. I've only watched the 1st chapter so far but the quality is on par with any other DVD.

14. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

ya it's been out for 2 weeks now on internet. that's how i saw it. pssh 8.50 for a 3hr drama. no thanks.

15. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Those are some good movies.

16. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

saw it last night. liked it a lot

17. rayden

rayden Member

It was pretty good to me. It could've been better, but good enough to hold my interest. Denzel as usual was fantastic ... so good that he made me almost want to be a drug pusher :D

18. MexAmercnMoose

good movie...i have no regrets watching it at the movies but it didn't live up to the hype

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I saw this movie on Friday at a theatre in Greensboro, NC-- Frank Lucas' hometown. The whole clan was there...

Enjoyed the story.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I thought it was good with a few exceptions. For the length, they could have done more about how they got there. I know the story of Denzel's character, but they don't even mention his hatred for the police until the very end of the movie. The movie could have either been about 30 minutes shorter or more in depth.