1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American Gangster

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

A book, Swoly? Yes you should definitely be embarrassed.

Also, go check the genres on IMDB. What was Remember the Titans? An adult film?

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

much ado about nothing was based off a shakespere play, and it is a comedy... :rolleyes:

Remember the Titans came on ABC Family so, i wouldnt consider it being an Adult film (and i dont mean p*rn)

And why the hell would you want Denzel to do a kids movie? that would just ruin his career. I hope denzel never does a Daddy Daycamp...

#22 Nice Rollin, Oct 14, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  3. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

it's already out on torrents if u guys wanna watch it. i got the full movie so i am bout to watch it.

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

What did you think of his characterization of Steven Biko in "Cry Freedom?" Or his portrayal of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter? Or Malcolm X? I understand if you think he makes use of a limited range in many of the roles he chooses, but if you honestly looked at the way he played these three characters and saw them all as the same guy...well, something's wrong with your perception.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Yeah, that line just makes me cringe. I mean if somebody actually said it, fine leave it in, but it reminds me of like that South Park episode where the south park police are trying to get michael jackson and you see that they go to extraordinary measures to set up innocent black men.

I was thinking about this. On onehand, nobody feels like Don Corleone and Michael are scum, but they are fictional. When I watch the Untouchables, I'm not rooting for Capone. You can't control how people react, IE people raising him up to hero status, but you hope the movie portrays him properly.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well he always plays a black man,

actually, hurricane was a step out of his range, forgot about that one. also the movie fallen with john goodman, he isn't always some kickass guy

7. DaveyM

DaveyM Member

I am excited to see it, I love Denzel AND ganster movies. I want to see Kingdom, but haven't yet. I did see Michael Clayton, slow moving and not as good as I had hoped.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

much ado about nothing was not a comedy? really... ;)

My buddy has a bootlegged copy of American Gangster earlier this week, said it was good but then again he has really liked some stinkers before

9. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

This movie is 2hours and 55 minutes.

TOO LONG

10. underoverup

underoverup Member

when denzel can pull off a role like the wayans brothers in 'white chicks' then i'll be impressed ;)

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you could say denzel plays a lot of the same characters. but that is way too general and not that easily described.

so...

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Much Ado About Nothing was not off of a book, and it certainly was a comedy.

You might also want to check out Carbon Copy which is definitely a comedy.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I am watching it later tonight. Will update this post as soon as I finish watching it. :eek: I'm afraid it will be the SAME F*CK*NG Denzel from all the movies: A "badass" who listens to nobody :rolleyes: . I am giving Denzel yet another chance. I will let you all know.

14. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Denzel's bad ass...quit dissing him. I do agree lately Denzel has chosen characters that are similar, mainly detectives (inside man, deja vu, out of time) but he is a great actor (Hurricane, He got Game, Malcom X, John Q, Philadelphia.....).

15. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

I just finished watching this movie. It was pretty long. Acting was what you would expect from Denzel. But being that I am an action/comedy movie guy, I would give this a B or B-. I was pretty bored during the first half of the movie. Then it started picking up.

btw the torrent is a DVD Screener. not the camera stuff.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I want to see this and will probably go check it out next week...I like Denzel and Russel is pretty bad ass as well...

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I would download if I was not so paranoid.

18. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

i saw it yesterday at home..its good..dono if i would pay 8 bux to see it in a theater tho.. :)

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Wow, really? I am not good at staying awake for movies that are that long unless they are pretty good. In fact, the last one that was this long that I was able to stay awake on was "Saving Private Ryan" and that was almost 10 years ago. It better be good if I go see it. :p

*****EDIT*****
    I just looked on IDMB and they have it listed at 2 hours and 37 minutes long or 157 minutes long. Still pretty lengthy.

20. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Nov 6th, aptly named "American Gangster"