1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American Dystopia: SF in decline

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

There is a notion out there (ok, SF cab and Uber drivers, lol) that most of the homeless people don't want to live in a shelter, for whatever reasons. Is this a fact or fiction?

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I believe heading to The End Up at 4 am is as close to a dystopia as you will find in San Francisco.

joshuaao, B@ffled and B-Bob like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Damn bro! LOL.

KingCheetah likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

A little of both. There aren't enough shelter spots -- that's a given. But there are homeless people who don't seem to want that help. It's very hard to typify the homeless (not just in SF I think). From what I've read, there are so many paths there. Drugs, mental illness, yes. But other paths too. I've definitely met and believed homeless people who just fell off the grid. Didn't have the life and/or economic skills they needed when they most needed those skills.

mdrowe00 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Well, as of the first of the year, Vegas has criminalize homelessness. From Google:

Las Vegas City Council Passes Ordinance Criminalizing Homelessness. The Las Vegas City Council passed an ordinance to criminalize homelessness. The new law makes it a misdemeanor to camp or sleep on public streets if beds at established shelters are available.

I'm curious how effective this will be. The fine is something like $1000 for the violation of this ordinance, which in practicality is ridiculous.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

posted this in unsorted but now it fits here . . . definitive proof that Las Vegas is an American dystopia

B@ffled, mick fry and B-Bob like this.
  7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Goodness gracious I can’t unsee this, quite the fall.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

OMG...DLR!! I'm guilty of paying to see that more than once.

9. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I'm definitely for decriminalizing minor mar1juana offenses and I can understand waiving a cash bail on first time non-violent offenses. But I think repeat offenders need the deterrent. I've seen people, especially young teens who 'get caught up in the system' and get desensitized to being in jail. They catch their first case, violate their probation and the cycle starts. Growing up now seems so much harder than when I was young, but I often forget because I'll fall into a line of thinking that because kids have so much more available in terms of entertainment, technology, etc., etc., that they have it easy. It's probably the opposite and I need to be more mindful of that.

Back in my day, we played with two pine cones all day in snow, all summer long, walking uphill the whole way in the rain. Good times.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.