1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American beheaded by ISIS, Obama makes remarks and then heads straight to the golf course

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Aug 20, 2014.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it betrays a lack of seriousness, a cavalier attitude about the suffering of the family, and the bewilderment of many americans about why such evil continues to be allowed to flourish. and it's not just conservatives who are baffled by the president demeanor:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I usually dismiss the &quot;Obama golfs as the world burns&quot; critics. I find his decision to golf today somewhat baffling.</p>&mdash; Dylan Byers (@DylanByers) <a href="https://twitter.com/DylanByers/statuses/502150128229445632">August 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

i appreciate that obama wants to underscore his ability to multitask, and i'm sure that on some level he's afraid that his opponents will seize on any admission that ISIS poses enough of a threat to suspend his vacation as evidence his mideast policy is a shambles, but it's fundamentally unpresidential.

2. basso

Supporting Member

even tingles doesn't get it.

<iframe title="MRC TV video player" width="640" height="360" src="http://www.mrctv.org/embed/128909" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No, we're blaming Bush for things that he did.

4. GladiatoRowdy

The hypocrisy is in wanting to blame things on Obama that are clearly and definitely not his fault. Had Bush not signed that treaty, Obama would have had the latitude to come to an agreement with Iraq himself.

It is the conservative way, fu(k things up and then blame the guy who comes in behind to clean up the mess.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but you were crediting Obama for those exact same things when they were viewed as a positive. That's my point. Also, if he thought it was a mistake, he had plenty of time to change it and it's not like he didn't endorse it so you're blaming someone else for something Obama signed off on. You have to admit that blaming Bush 6 years later for things Obama campaigned on is pretty laughable.

6. DaleDoback

DaleDoback Contributing Member

How is it unsettling? Like you say....he has far more work to do than most right? Does he or does he not deserve the right to take time to relax each day? (Which I highly doubt he plays everyday) What type of schedule should he be on? Should he just take a 30 minute lunch with 2 - 15 minute breaks a day? Come on....

Everything this guy does reinforces a perception in people. Because people are digging so damn deep to find a reason to attack the guy. It's dumb.

By the way....has he passed Bush on total vacation days used at this point in his presidency yet? Because as of this spring....Obama was WAY behind.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What the **** is Congress' excuse!?!

I'm done here for the week or more. I used to come and enjoy the cringe worthy moment from you guys but now you just piss me off.

8. DaleDoback

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dis...riticism-barack-obamas-golf-outings-misguided

Article from this past September.....still makes the point.

9. basso

Supporting Member

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Because he's not putting in the hours the job requires and an inability to do his job properly has dire consequences

having more work to do does not equate with getting more free time (its the opposite). Your comment makes no sense to me.

I take a 30 minute lunch quite often (or work while I eat lunch). The fact you think that is preposterous says a lot about you.

depends what you call vacationing. A vacation from what? golfing?

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Every day that one of our right wing members posts complaints like this simply reminds me that Obama must be doing well because (1) the complaints are pretty inane and simply repetition and (2) the complainers don't offer up any credible alternative ideal or candidate. Its like watching Hannity... every night the guy rattles off the same whiny complaints (usually in a breathless string).

Better still... this will continue in 2016 and the 8 years following... just replacing Hillary with Obama as the target of this... :)

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I heard that he eschewed the golf cart and carried his bag the whole way.... to deflect criticism.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't remember it that way at all. He campaigned on a drawdown and took credit for executing the drawdown when everyone saw it as a good thing. But, he didn't want to vacate the country altogether. He seemed disappointed that he was not able to negotiate a deal with Maliki to keep advisors in the country. If he had been able, he still would have (rightly) taken credit for the drawdown. Knowing that ISIS was coming, I still don't think Americans would still want our own units maintaining the security in Iraq themselves. ISIS or no, Iraqis have to secure their own country.

Several hundred military advisors and other sorts of support might have allowed us to stop the big ISIS advance though, and its too bad they weren't there. Maybe he could have negotiated better, maybe he should have been willing to give up more to keep advisors there. But, what you're doing is different -- you're conflating the hand-over of security in Iraq to the Iraqi army (which Obama, Bush, and all of America wanted) with the negotiated settlement that removed our advisor presence (which Obama and Bush didn't want to see happen, but their chosen man Maliki insisted upon). Obama took credit for the former but lamented the latter.

14. rudan

rudan Member

waiting for Michael Moore to show a clip of Obama playing golf in a documentary. Come fat boy, do it :mad:

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You act like Obama works 9 to 5. He doesn't, his job is 24/7. While you are relaxing most weekends Obama is still meeting with people, having calls etc. He is always working.

You do not have a clue as to how many hours Obama works, and taking golf in the middle of the day proves nothing, unless you are saying he needs to work all 24 hours a day.

16. GladiatoRowdy

No, it isn't. I didn't credit Obama with anything but following the terms of the treaty, you're thinking of someone else who gave Obama credit.

Even if he thought it was a mistake, the Iraqi government didn't want to negotiate the terms, Obama's hands were tied unless you want him to have overthrown another Iraqi government in order to have a residual force in perpetuity.

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I called him 'semi-retired' because his response to every event seems to be to give a 10 minute speech about how outraged he is. The fact he is always golfing reinforces this perception, but doesn't prove it. His actions (or inaction) prove it.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't get it...

19. DaleDoback

A. How do you know he is not putting in the hours? You have his schedule somewhere? Do you work at the White House?

B. Where did I say he gets more free time? All I said is he uses Golf as a way to relax. Does the man deserve time to clear his head or not?

C. I rarely get time to eat when i work. Don't bring my job into this. My point was (as someone else stated) he works all the damn time. He does not punch in/punch out. Go back and listen to Bush/Clinton/Bush Sr talk about their day to day activities. All Presidents work close to 20 hours a day. More at times. Every wonder why they age so quickly in office?

20. DaleDoback

Why? And between you, Bigtexx and T.....tell us what she should have done instead?