1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American beheaded by ISIS, Obama makes remarks and then heads straight to the golf course

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Didn't post a pic of Obama post doesn't count.

adorable.

2. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Wasn't McCain's citizenship questioned?

Wasn't Romney criticized and ridiculed for being a magic-underwear sporting Mormon?

Bush received plenty of flak for his time and grades at Yale, not to mention his military service which included Dan Rather embarrassing himself over false documents.

I'm replying off memory, so there may be a similar case of criticism towards another President and his religious affiliations (Romney), but Jeremiah Wright receives due criticism for things he's said in the past.

Bush-Hitler, Bush-Vampire, Bush-Monkey. There is a long list of things like this's directed at Presidents other than Obama.

Hmm, I recall a Family Guy episode where they brought to light a car accident involving Laura Bush as a teenager. The line repeated in the episode several time for effect, "Laura Bush killed a guy." Then there was plenty of media attention focused on his daughters.

I'm not sure you're looking at this objectively.

3. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

You're not unlike him, you know.

*Hugs*

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

When do you expect for other countries to step up to the plate and take care of there own issues.

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I do not doubt that many on the Left did this. And believe me, I'd like to give some of them a dose of this, too. But, unfortunately, we're not in 2000, we're in 2014 and it's just so, what's the word.... emotional. That's what it is- it permeates everything these days. Really, if anything, the '10s might be remembered as the Decade of Emotion- or Overemotion, better yet. Maybe it's always been there and we haven't known about it b/c we didn't have a 24x7 forum with which to view this. But we do now.

Here's the test- liberals, name 5 things you liked about Bush, and conservatives, 5 things you like about Obama. I'll start:

1. It seemed that George W. Bush did, and does, care deeply about his country. Whether that manifested in all decisions is another point. But I don't think you can say he was lackadaisical in his feelings on America.

2. I feel that the economy recovered rather quickly after 9/11, when it could have been much worse. Again, credit him? Well, leaders always get to take some credit.

3. I feel he showed strong leadership immediately following 9-11. During a time when America needed someone to show that type of leadership, I think he did an admirable job.

4. I feel that he tried to make a difference in education with his No Child Left Behind program. The success or failure of these programs lies often not with someone like him, but in the implementation.

5. When I first started my business, I received a refund of about $400 from my income tax- I think everybody did, back in 2002? or 2003? And at the time, my business was barely getting by, so, thanks, GW!

Did I favor him overall? No. But the United States and all its issues, matters, programs, etc. are much bigger than any one person. You got a problem with Iraq? Blame the members of Congress who voted on this, as well- why should they get a free pass? Would I have voted for him again? No. But it's not like every single thing he did needed to be held up to ridicule. Not necessary. Criticize him rightly for things that matter, don't waste your breath/typing energy on those that don't (if I read one more post about Obama's vacations, I swear I'm going to come through the ****ing screen, rip out the post, wad it up, and free-throw it into the wastebasket where it damn well ****ing belongs).

6. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

BTW, I think it's also important that, as ClutchFans brothers and sisters, we must support one another as much as we disagree with one another. We are family, after all. So remember, liberals, anytime you wanna hate on Basso, BigTexx, ATW, or any of the other right-leaning posters on the board, remember the immortal words of Sister Sledge and the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TNAQ8LLptUo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

On a tablet, so I will try to reply to all points:
    McCain' citizenship was questioned briefly based on being born in the Panama Canal area... Was it really a lengthy attack like Obama faced?
    Romney' religion was a factor in the primary, no?
    You are comparing a depiction of an African American as a monkey to Bush? Seriously?
    I don't remember the incident and criticism of Laura Bush... Who I always liked as FL. I do recall the daughters being portrayed wrongly due to drinking in college. ALL attacks on the family is wrong. Flat out wrong. Was wrong about Carter's daughter, Clinton' daughter, Bush's daughters. Same about first ladies.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Adding to this list, Bush showed great leadership pushing for Aids relief in Africa.

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

For me, added to the list is Afghanistan. Bush showed great leadership and built up tremendous political capital overthrowing the Taliban. Too bad for all of us he squandered both in Iraq.

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i appreciate what you're doing here, but i honestly don't think I can do this.

1. Killed Bin Laden. good for him...

...but even here, i have a massive qualifier, since I feel he betrayed the trust of the team that did the dirty work, by exposing details of their mission that should never have been made public...

2. didn't send ground troops to Syria/Libya/Egypt.

...but, drew redlines he never had any intention of honoring, emboldening those who think we're tired, weak, feckless...with predictable results, and enormous loss of life. and contributing greatly to the emergence of ISIS (no, i'm not saying he created them, or that they didn't exist before)

3. ?

there is no step three.

honestly, i think Obama is the most dangerous president we've ever had. i would say worst, but i think it goes beyond that. dangerous because he brings a unique blend of naiveté, hubris, arrogance, self-regard, self-pity, ego, and...most crucially, the blind allegiance of a core cadre of supporters & media.

let me be clear: all presidents (#YesAllPresidents) are egotistical, they may be arrogant, or act so. one doesn't seek the presidency without a huge amount of self-regard. even our greatest presidents (Washington, Lincoln, FDR) have had their faults. FDR should have known (may in fact have known) that pearl harbor, or something very close to it, was coming. Lincoln could be overly indulgent of his commanders, and took a long time to sack Little Mac (both times). Washington signed the Jay Treaty, which was hugely controversial, led to the formation of the party system, and laid the groundwork for the war of 1812.

Other presidents have attempted to use the power of government to silence their political enemies, most notably Nixon, but FDR did as well (court packing), but these have been largely confined to combatting other politicians, and in Nixon's attempt to politicize the IRS, he was unsuccessful.

Obama has worked to silence the very public he purports to serve, and in the case of the IRS in particular, he's been successful. and he's succeeded in large part because the press, the guardians of the truth, have chosen to stay silent.

Nixon lost his own party, and had an adversarial press. Obama has lapdogs for for both; this is why he's uniquely dangerous.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I know, there is hardly any criticism of Mr. Obama on American media or political groups organized to oppose him. It's an valid point you make.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

and I was just proven 100% right. Obama agrees that he shouldn't have played golf after the American was brutally beheaded.

feels so good to be right (yet again)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/07/politics/obama-golfing-optics/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- President Obama said he should have known better than to go golfing immediately after speaking about the beheading of an American journalist.
    In an interview that aired Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," Obama said he "should have anticipated the optics" because "part of the job is the theater of it," conceding "it's not something that comes naturally" to him.
    Obama was vacationing in Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, when Islamic militants released the gruesome video of James Foley, who was brutally killed as a payback for U.S. airstrikes against the terror group ISIS.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Because it's how it looks that matters.

14. g1184

g1184 Member

So you're saying you're a form-over-function type of guy.