1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

American beer is now invading Germany

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigtexxx, May 2, 2013.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

As somebody who worked in Munich years ago, this is quite surprising. American beer was laughed at as piss water. Their view of American beer was Budweiser, Miller Lite, Coors, etc. Now, German beer (which I love and drink frequently, by the way) is increasingly viewed as out of date and less interesting compared to the American craft beer revolution.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...-8bf6-e70cb6ae066e_story.html?tid=ts_carousel

In Germany, a U.S. beer invasion

By Michael Birnbaum, Published: May 1

BERLIN — Almost 65 years after Allied planes flew Western supplies into blockaded Berlin, a new American import is arriving by air: craft beer.

The beer is being flown in as part of a new surge of German interest in American brewing, upending a centuries-old relationship in which German beer defined the golden standard for brewing and Americans emulated it.

Now, with craft brewers in the United States capturing an ever-greater share of their home market, they are expanding in Germany as well. German consumers, intrigued by unfamiliar flavors, are purchasing more imported beer and are increasingly copying American efforts with their own small-scale brewing operations.

In the last year in Berlin, high-end U.S. beer — including one from California that is flown over in coolers — has become available in some grocery stores, and several U.S.-style craft breweries have opened. The efforts are aimed at challenging the dominance of plain-old pilsner, the mild lager that dominates more than half of beer sales in Germany. Beer consumption is slipping in Germany, and some brewers say their only salvation lies in fostering a drinking culture less constrained by a 1516 purity law that they say crimps innovation.

“What we’ve found in the United States is this amazing variety of styles and the openness of customers to new things,” said Marc Rauschmann, who is importing beer from California-based Firestone Walker Brewing Co. in airfreighted coolers. Other beer is shipped by sea. “We were really impressed.”

American flavor

Rauschmann has started an aggressive effort to sell imported beer and to brew his own German beer in flavorful styles that are popular among craft brewers in the United States but rare in Germany, such as hoppy ales and zesty lagers.

The turnaround is shaking big German brewers, many of whom like to brag that they are the best in the world. Upstarts are using another b-word, boring, to explain why consumption has been sliding from its 1976 heights. Back then, every person in Germany drank, on average, three liters of beer a week. Now that is down by a third and expected to keep dropping as older, *beer-loving customers die away.

But unlike the United States, where in recent years many supermarkets have expanded their beer selection to include dozens of styles from the far reaches of the globe, most German stores have remained resolutely unvaried, almost always offering just a handful of manufacturers and only rarely throwing a *non-German beer into the mix.

Now Rauschmann and others are proselytizing, traveling Germany to spread the gospel of unusual tastes. His company, Brau*factum, is owned by German beer giant Radeberger, which Rauschmann said was trying to help spark a new beer culture in the country where it has been a major producer since 1872.

For some beer business people, that change cannot happen fast enough.

“The German beer industry has to reinvent itself in a hurry, or it’s going to be a small fraction of what it is now,” said Eric Ottaway, the general manager of Brooklyn Brewery, which has been expanding in Europe and has been exporting its beer to Germany through Braufactum, which sells a 12-ounce bottle of Brooklyn Lager in upscale grocery stores for the equivalent of $4.20 — almost three times its typical American price.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Glad to hear it. American beer being inferior is an outdated notion indeed.

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Yea Baby!!....Gangnam style!!....:p

4. Nook

Nook Member

I have had virtually every mid range, craft beer and distributed beer in the world..... and beer in the USA has gone from being horrible to the best in the world, and it isn't even debatable.

Breweries like Floyd's are far better than the beer coming out of Europe.

5. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

I've spent time in Germany and there is now way this is true.

6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

where is our resident german to confirm this?

ATW, show yourself

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Thanks Obama!

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This trend has completely escaped me. I haven't seen anything at all to confirm this.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Agreed the level of innovation in a short period of time has been impressive. And the types of people starting these breweries has been impressive, also -- two highly educated friends of mine (both from Rice, one also went to Harvard Business School) have started breweries here locally in Houston and are producing fantastic beers.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I guess the Washington Post just completely made up this story then. Sorry, bigtexxx, I don't know why they would trick us readers like that!

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Very debatable, though I do generally prefer American Double IPAs and American Stouts, over all other beers.

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i knew it! it's all american propaganda

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

Somewhere in Hamburg, my ancestors are rolling in their grave.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

So Budweiser taste improved over the last couple of years?

15. TISNF

TISNF Member

Yeah this seems more like a piece to make US beer makers feel better about themselves. Good for them I guess. Press is press.

But German beer drinking is just...different. Every town has their own beer -- though this is something I slowly see happening in the US (and i'm all for it).

16. droopy421

droopy421 Member

So Firestone can ship there beer to Germany but not to Houston? I am disappoint.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Wait...what were we talking about?

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No, Bud is still near-beer. America is becoming less about the 2 main companies (InBev and MillerCoors) and more about craft brews. Even the big guys are getting involved (see MillerCoors purchase of Goose Island).

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree. There is no way this is true. The article is laughably so wrong.

And this is coming from someone who would love this to be true. Every time I'm in Germany I love their beers for about a week or so then start missing our crafts

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

you should take them some of that denver craft stuff heypee