1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

America: A Tribute To Heroes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Are you watching this? This is just amazing the way the entertainment community has come out in droves to support our country in the time of this horrible tragedy and war. They are answering the phones, giving emotional statements in tribute(sometimes trying hard not to lose it), and singing their hearts out. Not to mention that it is all really well done, the music is just awesome and has so much feeling to it, the titles they are choosing to sing are very considerate(John Lennon's "Imagine"(sung by Neil Yong); Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here", etc.).

This country and those in it never cease to amaze me. The way the country comes together. The way people can be ignorant and target innocent Muslims and even non-Muslims. How a really stupid lady can call in to Fox 4 News in D/FW to criticize firemen in NY who are sitting down resting and complaining that they are not doing enough. The way we will never give up hope for peace in our country and the world. We stand for a better country and a better world...not one run by ruthless dictators, not people who suppress human rights and freedom, not people who practice genocide, not people who deny they are doing wrong, and one where people actually care more about others than they do themselves.

There is no place on Earth like America and I am proud to be born and raised here. Sure, our government may make some mistakes but we do more than any other country in the world while we stand for democracy, freedom, and human rights. If someone hates us so much, then its because they are not a part of it or its thinking. God bless America. Can you imagine the world without America? Now that is scary.

Surf

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This thing is producing some of the coolest performances ever. They should record them and sell them and give the proceeds to the Red Cross. I've been trying to call and get nothing but "circuits are busy".

Have you noticed how everyone is really subdued too? No showing off or anything, just talking and playing. Also, celebrities are answer the freakin' phones!!!

3. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

This really was amazing. The performances were heart-wrenchly emotional yet subdued and humble. The star-power alone was incredible. Huge names, but more importantly, even bigger hearts were displayed.

I particularly was touched when Will Smith came out with Muhammad Ali, and the Greatest spoke clearer than I've ever heard him talk in about 10 years.

It really was a universal display of talent for a great cause; you had blacks, whites, asians, canadians, british, australians and artists and entertainers of all genres come together.

Azim da Dream

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i thought that was poignant as well, but couldn't will be bothered to find something nicer than a velour jogging suit to wear?

jeff, if there's not a cd of this within 48 hours, well... there will be. i called, and got right in, talked with al pacino. ok, actually, it was some local guy working at a capital one office. but i did ask him if he'd give me a heartfelt, "who-ha!" but refused. i donated anyway.

5. rompa

rompa Member

Look at me! I'm an idiot!

6. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:

WTF???

Azim da Dream

7. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Goodbye rompa, I can't say I'm going to miss you.

8. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

hey rompa

normally i wouldnt say this. but i think i speak for most of the bbs when i say

**** YOU

9. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

a lurker comes out of the shadow.... the suicide poster....

10. treeman

treeman Member

Great, now we've got to deal with suicide posters, too... :eek:

11. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Outstanding show last night!!! Each of the performances were heartfelt and just incredible. I had so many favorites.

Just curious. What was the name of the song sung by Fred Durst and the Goo Goo Dolls lead singer? I loved it. Some of my other favorites were the performances by Bon Jovi and Neil Young.

I can't wait to buy this on CD when it comes out. I would think it is another ideal way to raise further monies for the cause. Do you foresee any problems in releasing this in CD form since there are multiple artists on different labels? I hope not...

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Look everyone, rompa's an idiot! :)

Dream34: If it was the acoustic song I think it was (I was listening on radio and thought it was the Goo Goo Dolls but didn't recognize the other singer), it was "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd.

As for problems releasing the CD, doubtful. They probably all signed releases prior to the show. I guarantee they planned to record it and the labels signed off before hand.

13. stringthing

stringthing Member

Man that Neil Young piece with him doing Imagine was excellent.

Billy Joel was amazing with "New York State of Mind"

the list goes on....

14. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

rompa, you are an idiot. I liked the Boss's performance. I am from NY myself and hearing him say "My city you ruined" only signifies NY and that physically the city is battered but it is not out of it. We are stronger now thanks to what they did and PREPARE for an assult on the terrorists. I support whatever action the US takes 100%.

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I liked all the singers and their songs but I especially liked Mariah Carey's performance because "Hero" has always been a great song and her situation is symbolic of what's happened in America. She just suffered what was the lowest point in her life and now she's back and stronger than ever. America has just suffered its lowest point ever and I have NO DOUBT that we will be back and stronger than ever. GBA!!!

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

did you honestly just compare mariah carey's "plight" (and a term has never been used looser) to the tragedies of 9.11.01? i mean, seriously, did i read that wrong? god, i hope i read that wrong.

sad...

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I in no way meant her situation is even close to what happened to America. I was saying she is showing what America is going to do, which is bounce back to be stronger than ever from something that was meant to break us down. I don't think anybody is stupid enough to compare one person's situation with a tragedy that not only affects the U.S. but the entire world, so yeah you read it wrong...BIG TIME.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don't see where any of the celebrities really made that much of a sacrifice. It was a 2-hour show, and most of them only had to be on camera for a few minutes. It was great P.R. for them, no doubt. Basically, it looked like the typical celebrity love-fest where they all get together and try to make it look like they're making a difference. How many of them do you think would have shown up if there hadn't been any cameras there?

I was surprised to see Tom Petty's dad perform...oh wait...that was Tom Petty.

Could they not get anyone better than Willie Nelson to perform that last song? This is the same guy who smoked grass on the roof of the White House, right?

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

LMAO!