1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AMC The Walking Dead] Season 7

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CallMeTheDream, Jul 24, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Notice Rick said to Tara, "You know the most about other places. At least tell us where not to go looking (for guns)."

dunn dunn dunnnnnnn

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this has been a complaint of mine for a while as well. Momentum between story lines completely dies and i usually forget what happened prior when they do finally come back around.

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-walking-dead/is-jadis-too-weird-for-the-wal-63343.aspx

Is Jadis Too Weird for 'The Walking Dead'?
    Monday, February 20, 2017

"Take Rick to the up-up-up."

With just one line, Jadis cemented herself as the weirdest Walking Dead character in the show's history. It's not that Jadis and her band of junkyard dwellers weren't strange before that line during their introduction in "New Best Friends." The longer Jadis appeared, the weirder the whole thing became until the characters were just goofy. The Walking Dead is a show with zombies, but Jadis and her people might be too strange to exist in the show's world.

The Walking Dead Recap: Daryl Learns That Someone He Cares About is in Danger>>>

Going Too Far

The Walking Dead could definitely do with some more humor and weirdness. One of the biggest ongoing mistakes for the series is it often takes itself far too seriously. The Walking Dead should remain a drama and a grounded one. The walkers should never become more than they already are, the consequence of some disease. It wouldn't hurt, though, for The Walking Dead to embrace the incredible circumstances of the show and become a little surreal. It could even break up the heaviness of the series' tone.

It feels like Jadis and her trash people were meant to pull this off. But in creating Jadis The Walking Dead veered too harshly into weirdness and things became outright wacky. Jadis really threatens to break the suspension of disbelief on the show.

The Walking Dead has always been a little bit vague about how much time has passed since season 1 until season 7. It's clearly been a matter of years -- Chandler Riggs going from rosy-cheeked little boy to full-grown teenager confirms that fact. It definitely hasn't been more than a handful of years however. This is why it makes no sense that Jadis and her clan are knock-off Mad Max characters with their own (moronic) way of speaking and otherworldly culture. Jadis and her people would be believable, if a little over-the-top, if The Walking Dead was a couple generations of human beings into the apocalypse. There is nothing to explain their "civilization" coming into being in the time that it took Carl Grimes to go through puberty.

[​IMG]
    The Walking Dead has introduced communities that differ from the relatively normal gang of Alexandrians before Jadis' crew. They have even been a little outlandish. However no matter how strange a new community might seem The Walking Dead has been able to base those eccentricities in a grounded reality. Terminus turned to cannibalism as a matter of survival. Ezekiel and The Kingdom are a consequence of some very committed playacting for a sense of normalcy. There is no explanation imaginable that would describe why Jadis called a large mound of trash "the up-up-up."

A Sign of Things to Come?

The singular focus of Jadis' people wasn't that bad. The idea of purely militaristic, consumer-based society makes sense in The Walking Dead. It also fits with the season's big plot of this all-out war looming against the Saviors. The Walking Dead has built the Saviors up as a massive threat. Rick needs help to defeat them and even if The Kingdom eventually joins the Alexandrians, Jadis will be an asset.

Why Daryl and Richard Should Join Forces on The Walking Dead>>>

It is when thinking about Jadis and her junkyard gang in relation to King Ezekiel and The Kingdom that things get worrisome. After focusing for so long on just Rick's group and the people they meet, The Walking Dead has rapidly expanded the world. The show is turning more and more into a post-apocalyptic Game of Thrones with all the factions and cultures introduced. While this isn't a bad thing per se, if Jadis and her people are a sign of things and people to come, there is cause for concern.

[​IMG]
    The Kingdom is the only community that has approached the depth of Alexandria on the show. Hilltop is essentially a smaller Alexandria with a disgusting leader in charge in the form of Gregory. The Saviors are just a gang of antagonists with just as much characterization as the average TV thug. Jadis and her followers are certainly the most different group of people we have ever seen on The Walking Dead. They are also one of the strangest and seemingly biggest mistakes the show has ever created.

Unless The Walking Dead reveals that the strangeness of Jadis is just like The Kingdom, an act, there is no real reason to care about them. They are unbelievably strange and not remotely human. They feel like they walked out of a comic book in the worst way possible. This is especially telling too because Jadis, as of now, is a complete creation of the show. The character and her people aren't really based on anyone from the comics. If Rick is going to meet and recruit more people like Jadis and her group it might be best to skip The Walking Dead until the actual war with Negan starts up.

But what did you make of Jadis? Did you find her and her people interestingly strange or just too bizarre? Do you think there is more going on with them? Do you hope to see them again?

4. Nero

Nero Member

Well, yeah, Jadis and her crew were definitely weird.. but for some reason, it read to me like they were a group of mental patients who just wound up sticking together after everything fell. Maybe from a local mental hospital or something. Some of them seemed downright autistic. If they do go to the trouble of telling us anything about their origin, it wouldn't surprise me if their core group had originally been institutionalized together, and have just sort of managed to survive by sticking together. The weirdness wouldn't be so outrageous then.

Pen15clubber, GRENDEL and jo mama like this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nice theory. Hopefully you're not giving the writers too much credit.

GRENDEL likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Mental patients "Just sorta managed to survive by sticking together". Must be the rare Highly Functional Instittutionalized folk. Does explain why they couldn't figure out how to solve the boat puzzle, I suppose.

if there is anything the show has taught us, it is how high your will to survive must be, skilled even, and how focused, alert, and ruthless you must be to still be standing. This isn't just hiding anymore. You have to be able to take over a secure place, then not be discovered by stronger groups when you go out foraging. groups kill groups...not just the saviors but Rick does. And the women group. A group of mental patients and Autistic people, who would be off their meds I might add, surviving for two years seems like a Walking Dead that I couldn't get behind.

Orr maybe Jadis is the group's psychiatrist and there are a few other functional security guards, and they have quickly evolved to be weird like those they used to treat.

fcck I don't know. Lulz. I liked it though. I didn't get the article saying a group couldn't turn super weird in two years. My imagination immediately thought they do a lot of drugs or whatnot, and have a Marlon Brando leader like Apocalypse Now....fittingly.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz, he's comparing these bozos to Apocalypse Now BRANDO!!!

8. body slam

body slam Member

Was anyone else hoping for a Burt Reynolds cameo?

9. body slam

body slam Member

Was anyone else hoping for a Burt Reynolds cameo? Or was I the only one that noticed it?

10. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Most of Clutchfans doesn't know who Burt Reynolds even is

Pen15clubber and daywalker02 like this.
  11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

She certainly does not know proper grammar and sentence structure.

justtxyank likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Honestly feel like the show is bordering on stupidity. It sure was easy to get "We only take. We don't bother" to agree to be a part of a war against the Saviors by promising them stuff.

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

body slam likes this.
  15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They try to limit the number of actors that get airtime/dialogue in each episode so they can avoid paying them now and paying them royalties later.

hvic likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haircut, ladies and bomb workshop.

17. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I liked this episode.

I'm kinda pulling for the burned up guy. Eugene owned.

CallMeTheDream and Torn n Frayed like this.
  18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

that was the goofiest episode of the entire series...and im not sure if that was a good thing.

i think when they deviate from the comics it really goes off track. i blame gimple.

heypartner likes this.
  19. fmp087

fmp087 Member

They need to bring back Darabont. Show needs to end or they need a shakeup.

20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

It felt like the Fly episode of BB, first and last time I compare the 2 shows...