1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AMC/Regal Theaters bans Universal movies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Aware

Aware Member

working at amc was both the best and worst experience from my high school days.
    you wouldn't believe the **** that goes down in a movie theater lol.

there is no doubt that at some point theyre going to be a thing of the past like arcades and blockbuster video. i just hope it wont be too soon because nothing beats the experience of watching a movie on the big screen.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I like movies at the theater but it feels like 1 out of 3 or 4 trips are ruined from a over talkative kid/baby in an R movie or some jackass behind me not respecting personal zones

arkoe and Kim like this.
  3. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I agree with this as well.

Watching The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Endgame in IMAX is an experience i'll never forget.

I personally love going to the movies.

RKREBORN and Air Yordan like this.
  4. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I couldn’t agree more. I worked at AMC through high school and college and I could tell you some unbelievable stories. That was probably the most fun that I have ever had at a job.

I personally love the movie going experience, but definitely prefer Alamo, Star Cinema Grill theaters as opposed to Cinemark (worked there too) and AMC. The Angelika was awesome back in the day and the Regal Cinema off 59 was always good too.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Guy I knew worked at Cinemark in Webster in HS and had to ask 2 guys to quit masturbating during Herbie Fully Loaded.

Nook likes this.
  6. Aware

Aware Member

for sure. despite being treated like **** by both management and costumers, the memories i made with friends are ****ing priceless. working at a movie theaters as a teen is gold.

thats pretty standard lol.
    i did a bit of projection booth work and there is always someone getting a handjob/bj or jerking off in every house like every time all the time. you can be a dick and turn on the house lights or just let it rock. mostly younger couples but a lot of older folks on it too. most of the times i'd let it pass since who am i to stand in the way of lil johnny and his first bj.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I worked the projection booth at both theatres, AMC Gulfpointe and Cinemark in Webster. At both theatres, the projection booth staff was on the same radio channel as security, so you always got a heads up what was going down.

But you’re 100% correct, working at the movie theater was a great job to have as a teen.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sympathize with your points, but want to make two counters.

1. I don't think the data on malls and theater income are all that similar. Malls are definitely expiring. Theaters are more treading water.

2. I don't know that a big % of the population actually spends much on home theater setups. I could be wrong and would love to see the numbers. We could afford to do so but do not, b/c we don't watch much TV and love catching movies out and about in the city.

Nook likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It’ll be interesting to see where we go from here on out. Did it take a pandemic for people to not want to be in a closed/confined/crowded space that much? Or was it already trending and this just pushed it over?

I do know they aren’t building mega-plex theaters in every corner of big cities like they once were. Hell, there used to be plenty of dollar theaters as well that no longer exist. The ones that still do well stay open... regardless of frills. Now, most new theaters are the luxury-types... which caters to people who like the romance/process of going to a theater to watch a movie, and will always go to the theater to watch a movie.

They are good for dates/hangouts... (as was the mall at one point).... and as of now, they’re still the exclusive place to catch a never-before-seen movie.

But you can’t deny that technology, wifi, streaming, and the affordability of great home theater options all work against the long-term viability of this medium. There will always be the malls that continue to make a profit...and there will continue to be theaters... but as I’ve said earlier, I’m not sure there’s another iteration of the theater experience that can evolve vs. what’s now available for home consumers to exploit the vast technology options that were not there 10 years ago.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

In north Austin they just converted a closed Sears to one recently just in time to be shut down.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

There is more money to be made at home. Movies will soon evolve so that you watch the version of the movie you want to see, as opposed to the directors vision, and you can do that home, not in a theater. Theaters bring people together. That's it. But as movies evolve, people won't want to watch together because movies in the future will cater to their individual likes and dislikes. Demise is on the horizon unless they can turn it into an experience or some sort. Don't see it.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

All that can happen and theaters can still survive. You can have both.

Just keep staggering release dates like we've always done.

Are you advocating purposefully killing theaters by eliminating the long-standing equilibrium of staggering release dates.
    Are Home Theatre people even demanding the release dates of bluray/PVOD now be the same day as theatrical release?
    I thought they bragged about not caring to wait 1 to 2 months for release.

13. heypartner

Consider this future:
    • Universal and all studios decide to stop staggering release dates of bluray/PVOD forever.
    • The theaters die
    • Each major studio then decides to cut out the distribution middleman for PVO rentals entirely (like itunes, yt, amazon, etc) and make their own channel like Disney+
    • or they team up with exclusives for various existing streaming TV companies
    • Now to see all the movies we want to see, we can't just rent on demand, we have to subscribe to a bunch of new streaming services we never did before, or wait for the wider release date.
    We already have that staggered release date equilibrium with actual theaters. And we can rent without actually subscribing to most major releases sites.

See what I'm getting at? Most ppl will still just wait for the wider release date.

That future would suck.

14. heypartner

Consider this too.

Pirating explosion

If we don't continue staggering release of bluray/PVOD, studios movies will immediately be pirated and released ... within an hour of the very first showing.

Isn't that a problem for HBO/Netflix already. Can the movie studios survive that hit, if their blockbusters become increasingly pirated? Will that affect quality of movies? Independent studios?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Piracy has actually gone down since viable streaming options were made available and less people relying on (or having devices for) physical media... but its always been a problem and whatever happens now won't really mitigate or escalate that.

likewise, theaters can still exist... but the problem they have now goes beyond just virus concerns or release dates... their struggles aren’t really new or unexpected. And if the general public continues to opt for other options after this, they will have to change or do something to survive.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Most of this happened as a result of “cord cutting”. Every big major conglomerate has come out with a potential streaming option.

These companies are going to do what they feels make the most money.... and as it is, they were well aware of less people going to the theater even before the virus.

if cord cutters continue to subscribe to every streaming service... and end up spending more money per month than they ever did for a cable/satellite package... companies will capitalize on that and there will be consequences.

17. Senator

Senator Member

You don't find that incredibly sad? It's why Scorcese and the rest of the adult world is embarrassed by the constant release of identical superhero movies manufactured to give you exactly what you want to see instead of any form of a fluid story. The nerdosphere is desperate to turn movies into video games where you can do whatever you want in hopes of getting the exact outcome you want -- that is the opposite of storytelling. That is not a movie and while there are a lot of nerds who spend a lot of money on these things, there will always be a some space for actual stories and movies. Maybe you'll just have a separate VR room where you fondle the actresses and tell them what to do digitally before blowing it all up.

18. Isabel

Isabel Member

Amarillo. We never actually end up going, but nice to know it's there.

We don't have as many restrictions as Houston. There has actually been an explosion of cases up here, you might see it on the news, but a lot of it is from a meat packing plant where everybody has been working in close quarters.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. PhiSlammaJamma

It is storytelling. And it will evolve. Not sad. Excited. Both the video game, tv, and film industries have been putting out the same potpourri for decades now and you can sense the fan frustration people have in the stories and game experience. They just repackage it. Games of Thrones was the best example. Everyone wanted a different ending. Nobody was happy. That was sadness. But it's not their fault. They didn't get lazy. They just couldn't satisfy everyone. Your Oscar winners are the same old thing like parasite. Video games are open world, but the same old open world like Red Dead Redemption. It's time story telling moved into the next century and to do that you have to push a new envelope. You have to do it different. Open world movies, sort of, but better than that. It has to be. We are in a rut. We need to expand our mind.

Westworld and Matrix sent the right message, but of course, screwed up the delivery. The message, the next generation wants choice.

#59 PhiSlammaJamma, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  20. Senator

Senator Member

GoT was very good for 6 seasons because George RR Martin provided source material. Last couple seasons the producers had to make up the story and bungled it because they weren't storytellers in the first place, just people who get things done. It was a clear dropoff in quality and forced dialogue that made people very very sad. The fact you can't tell the difference between that and manufactured superhero movies adds to the sadness.

Nook likes this.